Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FS9 Airports in FSX

Guest scon

Well after several months of tweaking and testing with FSX I have found out the only way I can make Airports like KSFO, KLAX, KJFK

Guest 777_lr_2k7

Are you asking about the default airports for FS9? I think they're in your scenery/cities folder.

Guest scon

Yep just the default ones.I have tried that (adding the cities) and it didn't work will try again though Thanks

Guest scon

Welll tried that and there not in the cities folder.

The default airports in FS9 consist of 4 files, designed regionally.These files reside in regional scenery area folders, such as Name, Namw, Ocen, etc. The files involved are:AB9xxyy0.bglFL9xxyy0.bglThese files are terrain files. The location is determined by the set of 4 numbers, xxyy in the file name. FSX uses the same scheme, but the files are placed in regional scenery area folders which cover a smaller region (thus there are many more of them), which also use an xxyy naming scheme (these 4 numbers though aren't the same as the ones in the specific file name).The AB9 and FL9 files have been replaced in FSX with CVX files. These files include terrain for more than just airports, and shouldn't be removed.The other 2 airport files in FS9 are:AP9xxyy.bglOB9NAMCx.bglwhere NAMC is the scenery area and x is a serial.The AP9 files contain airport scenery such as runways, taxiways, ILS, aprons, and facility data. The OB9 files contain various scenery objects including terminal buildings. In FSX these are APX and OBX files. MS changed the coverage schemes and now the OBX files are named (and cover the same area) as the APX and CVX files.Note that the APX files now contain additional data, not found in FS9 so just trying to do a file-by-file replacement (if that even works) probably isn't a good idea.Also, in FS9 there are city scenery folders with photoscenery for various airport areas. This photoscenery is 4.8m resolution, so won't look so good next to the 1.1m FSX landclass.There is an FSX scenery utility, TCalcX_002, which you can run while in FSX and it will report the scenery area xxyy values, and specific APX file xxyy values for your aircraft position. If you have FSX deluxe, you can also determine this in the SDK tool tmfviewer.But, I don't have much hope thay your approach of replacing FSX airports is going to help.scott s..

Guest scon

thanks seems like a long process I have just tried to add some FS9 scenery of KJFK to fsx but I can't get the AFCAD to Convert using the small utility available here on AVSIM. have done it with other AFCADS but KJFK nor NZAA (another one I tested)have worked it says there is "Schema errors detected"any ideas on that one Scott

This is an interesting idea.I am actually impressed by FSX performance in the air considering the amount of terrain data that is being processed - such really would have bogged down FS9. Weather performance has also improved dramatically. I find I can throw any kind of weather situation at FSX with minimal impact on performance - a hugh improvement over FS9.The thing that is really confounding and very curious though is the airport performance. Especially since if you eliminate airport traffic features and autogen etc. there really is not much difference in airport detail versus FS9, yet there is a hugh comparative performance hit.Why is that? Is the redesigned terrain engine operating at the expense of airport priority? One would think that this is fixable. Perhaps there is hope for the promised DX9 version patch after all!Fred