Jump to content

BWBriscoe

Refresh rates / stutters etc.

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Setting my sim to 30fps results in rough camera panning and a non fluid experience altogether. So basically stutters with free sync or slow/laggy camera panning are what I have to choose from. Also setting my fps to 30 internally causes my fps to dip even lower.

Spencer, what you can also try (to achieve smooth fluid performance) is another way of syncing to refresh rate by using freeware MSI Afterburner w/ RivaTunerStatisticsServer.  With RTSS you can, if you have a monitor capable of 60hz refresh for example, use a divisor of 2 to result syncing at half the screen's rate of 60Hz, so 30fps.  As Ray mentioned it's critical to NOT limit frames w/in P3D but leave that at UNLIMITED.  I saw a photo of your screen's software and it appears it can be set to 60Hz.   I have found this practically matches performance w/ vsync to 30Hz screen w/ the only difference being your CPU/GPU are still being asked to render to more pixels even though post-processing it becomes limited w/ a software vsync.  I think you would leave freesync and gsync off to KISS.

An even simpler approach is to use nV Control Panel's Adaptive Vsync set to half refresh, but not sure how that approach compares to the other two.  I am 100% confident one can expect fluid performance provided your system can maintain at least 30fps w/ the frame rate slider at UNLIMITED.  Of course you can dial back settings to achieve that.

  • Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Noel said:

Spencer, what you can also try (to achieve smooth fluid performance) is another way of syncing to refresh rate by using freeware MSI Afterburner w/ RivaTunerStatisticsServer.  With RTSS you can, if you have a monitor capable of 60hz refresh for example, use a divisor of 2 to result syncing at half the screen's rate of 60Hz, so 30fps.  As Ray mentioned it's critical to NOT limit frames w/in P3D but leave that at UNLIMITED.  I saw a photo of your screen's software and it appears it can be set to 60Hz.   I have found this practically matches performance w/ vsync to 30Hz screen w/ the only difference being your CPU/GPU are still being asked to render to more pixels even though post-processing it becomes limited w/ a software vsync.  I think you would leave freesync and gsync off to KISS.

An even simpler approach is to use nV Control Panel's Adaptive Vsync set to half refresh, but not sure how that approach compares to the other two.  I am 100% confident one can expect fluid performance provided your system can maintain at least 30fps w/ the frame rate slider at UNLIMITED.  Of course you can dial back settings to achieve that.

Alright making progress, but with vsync off and using RTSS, I am getting massive screen tearing now. It is my understanding that RTSS will not work with vsync on, so something else must be causing this, right?


~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon | CPU: Intel i7-9700K(OC at 5.0GHz) | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Share this post


Link to post

Spencer, are you using only the 'global' settings in NCP, or a profile for P3D/MSFS?  And I assume you did check in NCP to see if 30Hz was in fact not an option?  Freesync/Gsync off?  You should not have any significant screen tearing w/ this approach.  I will send a couple of screen shots in a few minutes on how RTSS should be set up as there is a spot that is may not be intuitive.  Have you used RTSS before?


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post

You should be set up like this.  I have no screen tearing at all w/ my monitor at 60Hz, and that is with vsync on or off in-sim, P3D.  I have a rock solid 30fps w/ excellent animation smoothness and freedom from preventable stutters.  (ie, not the longer pauses from P3D loading a giant scenery tile all at once)

RTSS-2.png


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Noel said:

Spencer, are you using only the 'global' settings in NCP, or a profile for P3D/MSFS?  And I assume you did check in NCP to see if 30Hz was in fact not an option?  Freesync/Gsync off?  You should not have any significant screen tearing w/ this approach.  I will send a couple of screen shots in a few minutes on how RTSS should be set up as there is a spot that is may not be intuitive.  Have you used RTSS before?

No I have it set specifically for P3D and not global. Freesync, which is a monitor feature, is turned off. This also removes the gsync options in NCP so I am assuming that gets turned off with free sync disabled. If I turn on Vsync in P3D the screen tearing stops, but I’m assuming that also prevents RTSS from working correctly. I will recheck my settings and report back if there are issues. Maybe I missed a step.


~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon | CPU: Intel i7-9700K(OC at 5.0GHz) | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Share this post


Link to post

Well for me, no tearing whatsoever using RTSS w/ or w/o vsync in-sim.  Perhaps you might duplicate my NCP settings, which I do on the global tab.  If you want I can send a screen shot.

If you're seeing a solid 30fps then RTSS x/2 -1 should be working if your screen is at 60Hz and you're set up to be able to generate at least 30fps.  One of the downsides of using RTSS over vsync to 30Hz screen is you can't really tell how close to being truly maxed out w/ re to GPU and/or CPU utilization, because it's always trying to render the maximum number of frames possible.  With vysnc to 30Hz you canor both that's the problem because w/ vsync to 30Hz you only create what's needed at any moment in time.

Does it fix the stuttering you mentioned at the beginning of this discussion?


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Noel said:

Well for me, no tearing whatsoever using RTSS w/ or w/o vsync in-sim.  Perhaps you might duplicate my NCP settings, which I do on the global tab.  If you want I can send a screen shot.

If you're seeing a solid 30fps then RTSS x/2 -1 should be working if your screen is at 60Hz and you're set up to be able to generate at least 30fps.  One of the downsides of using RTSS over vsync to 30Hz screen is you can't really tell how close to being truly maxed out w/ re to GPU and/or CPU utilization, because it's always trying to render the maximum number of frames possible.  With vysnc to 30Hz you canor both that's the problem because w/ vsync to 30Hz you only create what's needed at any moment in time.

Does it fix the stuttering you mentioned at the beginning of this discussion?

If you could that would be great. Still getting lots of screen tearing but only in the VC view (in this case the PMDG 777). If I switch to external there is no screen tearing. It is most noticeable during turns and when looking out at the sky. The good news is the stutters seem to have stopped.

Edited by sho69607

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon | CPU: Intel i7-9700K(OC at 5.0GHz) | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, grandfred29 said:

Stutters are here when you change cockpit light intensity by turning knobs

This is a fundamental defect of the engine I'm afraid.


Noel

System:  9900K@4.9Ghz@1.21v all cores w/ HT enabled, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    43%
    $10,910.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...