Sign in to follow this  
aslester99

Intel or AMD Gaming Laptop for Prepar3D

Hi Guys! It’s my first post in the forum and i’m struggling with having a new laptop which are MSI GF65 and Asus ROG Zephyrus G14, i couldn’t find any posting relating to this topic, hope to get some help here...

Specification:
MSI GF 65
Processor: I7-9750H @2.6GHz (Max boost to 4.5GHz) 6 Cores
Graphic Card: GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB)
SSD: 512 GB
RAM: 16GB

ROG Zephyrus G14
Processor: Ryzen 7-4900HS @3.0GHz (Max boost to 4.3GHz) 8 Cores
Graphic Card: GeForce RTX 2060 MAX-Q (6GB) 
SSD: 1TB
RAM: 16GB

I noticed that more simmer prefer Intel processor compared to AMD because Intel’s single core performance & clock rate is way more better than AMD. But when it comes to Gaming Laptop, I’ve no idea that whether cores really matter to P3D in FPS performance. These two are my options, there’d much price difference between them, but 1 with I7 based clock rate 2.6GHz, another with AMD based clock rate 3.0GHz which is more nearer to the requirement of V4 ( @3.5GHz).

Which laptop should I go for? My target FPS is 20FPS or just able to smoothly launch ORBX, Active Sky and PMDG...

Thank you,
Alester Tok

The 4900 is a beast of a mobile processor, with that said though it might be worth looking at the stuff that should be available any day now with the Nvidia 3000 series gpu’s. 

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Looks like the Ryzen is a better deal... but is it a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9?

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

2 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

The 4900 is a beast of a mobile processor, with that said though it might be worth looking at the stuff that should be available any day now with the Nvidia 3000 series gpu’s. 

Ya, more prefer Nvidia 3000 Series, unfortunately I have to make decision to buy before I went oversea at March. So these 2 are my only options... haha

52 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Looks like the Ryzen is a better deal... but is it a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9?

argh sorry, it’s Ryzen 9-4900HS... Just that I’m worried about the performance in P3D, since it is more like to stress single core only.. and i heard Intel can handle single core software more better.... Have you tried AMD laptop to fly?

Would definitely go Ryzen at the min over Intel, whether it’s laptop or desktop

Generally speaking P3D is single thread limited rather than multi core or graphics limited (that's not to say those other two are unimportant just that your FPS/smoothness is usually more related to the single thread performance).

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-9750H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-4900HS/3425vs3694

Suggests the Ryzen wins out on both single and multi threaded performance.

None, for the same money I would really go for the desktop instead. Performance is much better given the money paid. But if you have to go for a laptop it seems the new G15 looks good.

• Like 1

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg