Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

You Can't Go Back

While downloading the recent update. I tried firing up FSX to pass some time.

It looks so old an dated now.  Despite the issues with MSFS (the spikes in my area have now disappeared) it's so much better.

• Like 12

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

While downloading the recent update. I tried firing up FSX to pass some time.

It looks so old an dated now.  Despite the issues with MSFS (the spikes in my area have now disappeared) it's so much better.

FSX looked old to me when I switched to P3D many years ago. FSX got me to give up simming for years. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Oh yes.  But compare the performance of even P3D to MSFS, and there's a world of difference.  The number of objects MSFS shows all at once is incredible by comparison.

• Like 11

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

image.png.babe998bf6c1d89cfb223fe20ac52400.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Totally agree, for all it's issues I can't go back, so much more to offer to assist with real world flying

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

...FSX got me to give up simming for years. 

Same here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Same here.

Yep that was the sim that made me quit till MSFS2020 came around. And i had every version up to that point. (I just couldnt see past the horrible performance) and at the time Project Airbus, Project Opensky and Aerosoft were in their heyday. With enough scenery, mesh, water add-ons there was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade. So i rode fs2004 till i had enough and moved on.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

45 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Yep that was the sim that made me quit till MSFS2020 came around. And i had every version up to that point. (I just couldnt see past the horrible performance) and at the time Project Airbus, Project Opensky and Aerosoft were in their heyday. With enough scenery, mesh, water add-ons there was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade. So i rode fs2004 till i had enough and moved on.

Oh the POSKY 767... such a beautiful model.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had planned to keep my P3D installation after MSFS came out. Fired up MSFS once, and immediately deleted my P3D stuff. I was distinctly underwhelmed when I switched from FSX to P3D. The only upside was that the latter was a 64-bit environment and you wouldn't get that dreaded OOM problem. It was no fun riding at the edge of that limit with the Qualitywings 787. Often I barely made it to the terminal before getting the familiar ding ding ding. 

After installing P3D I immediately realized that I would have to spend hundreds of $$$$$ just to get it to look decent. I was weeping, my credit card was in agony. Developers, literally, charged you for everything: rain drops, houses, trees, mesh, shaders, weather, views, etc. There was no active freeware modding community. 

MSFS runs like word not allowed on my PC, but there is not a chance in hell I would ever consider any other simulator. 

• Like 8

I go back to FSX every time I want to fly big-tin IFR in a true study level airliner because I simply can't do that in MSFS (yet). For VFR it's MSFS every time. Horses for courses for the time being.

• Like 4

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

8 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

What's FSX?

X stands for expired. At least for me

• Like 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I had been simming since FS2 and FSX had become so dated that I too gave up 5 or 6 years ago.  But I'm back with a vengeance and enjoying the new sim incredibly.  No way do I ever want to even look at FSX again.

MSFS is a resource hungry beast, but so was FSX when it came out, as were its predecessors.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

What I learned from those discussions is, that people are never happy. I heard the complaining about

• FSX being too demanding then being outdated (32bit), physically limited
  • P3D being too expensive, only a slightly different version of FSX without any real impromvement, being outdated and ugly
  • about XP devs doing what they want and not listening to the community, looking outdated ...

Why would this change with MSFS? 😄

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 minutes ago, tweekz said:

people are never happy

couldn't be happier myself. And don't see these complaints TBO. If at all then some word not allowed discussions which I do not engage in. yes, FSX was too demanding on my system (i5 2500) in the old days but heck MSFS is sooo smooth and fluid on the very same rig. Only had to get a new GTX1660s. P3D I never touched just because it was still too much FSX to me and XP I bought but literally only flew a handful times, did not like the visuals . MSFS is now really groundbreaking new and I really enjoy it, primarily in the modded neo (as it allows me to work from home while still flying) and sometimes VFR with GA

• Like 4

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"