Sign in to follow this  
Truthan

New FREE “Flight Recorder”… replays flights perfectly in VR…

Just a quick heads up for anyone who hasn’t got wind of this dandy little tool yet...

"Flight Recorder" was released on Feb. 17th with a minor update just today. With an interface as simple and clean as its unassuming name - it records live flight data and replays your flight from start to finish in both 2D AND IN VR - with flawless perfection on my Oculus Rift S. Haven't tried it in my Reverb G2 yet so I can't attest to it working there, but based on how I believe it records and replays data I don't think it'd be an issue.

Mind you, the UI control panel DOES NOT appear in VR however, but I don’t mind a bit tilting my Headset up for a few seconds if I need to access a button. Just being able to REPLAY an entire flight - in VR and rewind or fast forward to anywhere in the flight is worth that minor (and maybe temporary?) caveat.

You can grab it for free here: https://flightsim.to/file/8163/flight-recorder

The author’s GitHub page is here: https://github.com/nguyenquyhy/Flight-Recorder/releases

And check out this quick hands-on look (and install tips) from Flying Theston on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHlePjNxk8

During a replay you can:

- Change cameras and freely control them.
- Change time and weather.
- Stop the replay at any point in the flight and resume live aircraft control.
- Pause and resume replay at any point to setup screenshots.
- Scrub backwards or forwards during replay.
- Save to a “.flightrecorder” file and replay entire flight at any time in the future.
- Export all raw data to a .CSV file.

It doesn’t feature an export to MP4 or other video format, but I presume one can use other apps for recording a replay (with their own custom camera work to boot). It operates from completely outside the sim and there's virtually no install, just unzip the file and boot the exe once a flight is loaded and engines are running.

I’ve only taken a few test flights thus far, but it worked right out of the box without a hitch and with ZERO noticeable hit on performance during recording so far as I can detect on my RTX3090 / I9-10900KF setup. And the replays are – refreshingly - smooth as butter.

Lastly, make sure and READ ALL the author's notes to save yourself a few minor headaches. It's all pretty basic, but especially read the "Current Limitations and Other Notes" section.

A big hat’s off to the author Nguyen Quy Hy for this enjoyable slice of Techno-Zen. Nice work my man. Thank you!

Edited by Truthan
emphasis edit, removed erroneous verbiage, context.
  • Like 2

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Nice app. thanks. I didn't use it yet, a little because of all the files (dll) it seems to need? About 320 of them. Does it really need dll's like this:

System.Net.Mail.dll, System.Net.HttpListener.dll, System.Security.AccessControl.dll, just to name a few.

19 hours ago, Gerwil said:

Does it really need dll's like this:

System.Net.Mail.dll, System.Net.HttpListener.dll, System.Security.AccessControl.dll, just to name a few.

Those DLL’s appear to be those that are routinely associated with MS Visual Basic & the ubiquitous MS .NET framework, so essentially are systems files often associated with many MS programs. If you check their properties dialogue boxes most if not all will contain MS digital security signatures.

In fact, if you do a search across your C drive for any of those file names you’ll typically find multiples of them in other programs, games, and system files on your computer, sometimes a few dozen of a given file actually.

For me, nothing in the app folder was flagged by Windows Defender and a Malwarebytes scan of the these files turns up absolutely nothing.

Personally speaking, I don't sense, nor have seen, any adverse effects or issues with using this app.

Edited by Truthan
Added context

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot