Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v5 - how is VRAM handling now?

I seem to recall that default ground textures are largely the same as earlier versions of P3D so I still use my orbx landclass and ground textures. The default vector data is much improved though.  I always used UTX for vector data and didn’t bother installing them in v5. 

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

@MaceIf your trueglass.dll is older than 4 Jan 2021, you really need to update your Trueglass to the latest, which seems to have solved the issues with it and vsync.

How do I update Trueglass and Reallight to the latest versions?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks @Mace. When I get v5.1 that will be one of the first things I'll test with a default setup. Did the entry in Event Viewer give you any clues? Did you report it to L-M?

Given the popularity of the 1080Ti and vSync with 30Hz you'd imagine lots of people would have the problem.

I believe Event Viewer pointed me to trueglass.dll most of the time.  And quite frankly, I quit flying some of the aircraft that used that dll (Aerosoft DC-8, for example), so I really haven't sought out a fix.  But you're right, I should update those if I can.

Sometimes I wonder about the popularity of the 1080ti....seems like most people jumped to the 2080 series pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7 minutes ago, Mace said:

Sometimes I wonder about the popularity of the 1080ti....seems like most people jumped to the 2080 series pretty quickly.

When I was ordering components for my PC back in autumn 2018 I had the option of the 2080Ti but as P3D didn’t require ray-tracing I opted for the 1080Ti. On reflection, now that the 20 and 30 series cards are all but impossible to buy, I wish I’d gone for the 2080Ti even though there was a 500GBP premium over the 1080Ti.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

When I was ordering components for my PC back in autumn 2018 I had the option of the 2080Ti but as P3D didn’t require ray-tracing I opted for the 1080Ti. On reflection, now that the 20 and 30 series cards are all but impossible to buy, I wish I’d gone for the 2080Ti even though there was a 500GBP premium over the 1080Ti.

I built mine in December 2017 so there was nothing past the 1080ti except maybe a Titan.  I'm kind of marking time for the higher-vram 3-series, or whatever comes next, but the 1080ti is such a good flight sim card (other than the SSAA) so I'm in no hurry.

• Like 1

Rhett

59 minutes ago, Mace said:

How do I update Trueglass and Reallight to the latest versions?

Reinstall any one of the add-ons that use them...Maddog X, Milviz Kingair 350i, TFDI B717, Qualitywings B787 all come to mind.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

@Ray Proudfoot Ray i have the identical CPU(8086K delidded and water cooled OC 5.2 Ghz) and GPU to yours! I don't use Hyperthreading, Locked FPS at 30 in P3dv5.1 with EA turned off and it's fantastic performance. In fact i just reinstalled P3d yesterday because i'm over MSFS for now, And i'm pleased with P3dv5.1 And my Vram is hovering around 5.4 out of 11 Gig at FB NZWN with traffic..

Cheers Rick

Edited by RW1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

I'll be watching this as I too have a 1080ti and have been happy with v4.5. I've thought about going to v5 but I haven't been convinced/seen enough of an upgrade to justify losing a great running sim and some extra money.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

I would not go back to v4 v5.1 is now the one i use, all ORBX scenery except TE no seasons i fly real date with my PMDG fleet and now have eye tracker running no problem in P3D. FPS locked at 30 4K Ultra settings.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

16 hours ago, Fatback said:

Sherman, sorry to go off topic here but is that the Jahn DC-3? If so, can I ask how you got it to work in P3D v5.1?

Yes it is, in DC3 Airways colors. The original aircraft can be found at sim-outhouse. There were no changes required for v5.1. btw, please take a look at www.dc3airways.net. We are a very active VA and welcome new pilots, will provide training, equipment and friendship.

Sherm

HI all,

Thought I would jump on to this as I am also hoping to upgrade to v5 in the near future albeit on more of a budget PC-wise (I am hoping to upgrade both at the same time however),

Would it be possible to clarify the extent that resolution impacts VRAM usage in v5?

I am aiming to be more modest and aim for solid 1080p performance while getting all the graphics/ scenery I can out of the sim, preferably on an 8gb card in order to save on budget.

For reference I am currently on an RX-5708GB and am hoping to move to something like a RX 5700 XT (along with a newer CPU and Motherboard).

Many Thanks,

Martin

• Like 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

The difference of VRAM from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 (4k) will be less than 1GB.

The use of VRAM is to do with the number of items destined for display and the detail set on those items. Details are the number of total facets (surfaces of those items) and the size of the textures making up the images for those facets, and shadows cast by those items.

Stock P3D v5 will generally not require more than around 6 to 8Gb with sliders and settings adjusted to quite high values even in very detailed areas. However some addon scenery and aircraft might introduce significant increases in facet count and/or texture size, and will have to be checked on an individual basis. Therefore some add-ons might have user options to set details to that which can be handled by systems with video RAM constraints. 

• Like 4

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The difference of VRAM from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 (4k) will be less than 1GB.

The use of VRAM is to do with the number of items destined for display and the detail set on those items. Details are the number of total facets (surfaces of those items) and the size of the textures making up the images for those facets, and shadows cast by those items.

Stock P3D v5 will generally not require more than around 6 to 8Gb with sliders and settings adjusted to quite high values even in very detailed areas. However some addon scenery and aircraft might introduce significant increases in facet count and/or texture size, and will have to be checked on an individual basis. Therefore some add-ons might have user options to set details to that which can be handled by systems with video RAM constraints. 

Thank you very much for the explanation, will take a closer look at my various addons and see where that takes me.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
quick clarification
  • Like 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

15 hours ago, RW1 said:

@Ray Proudfoot Ray i have the identical CPU(8086K delidded and water cooled OC 5.2 Ghz) and GPU to yours! I don't use Hyperthreading, Locked FPS at 30 in P3dv5.1 with EA turned off and it's fantastic performance. In fact i just reinstalled P3d yesterday because i'm over MSFS for now, And i'm pleased with P3dv5.1 And my Vram is hovering around 5.4 out of 11 Gig at FB NZWN with traffic..

Cheers Rick

Rick, my PC was supplied by Chillblast and came with Hyperthreading enabled. When I spoke to them about it they advised to keep it enabled. Performance is fine.

My VRAM hovers around 5.5Gb with the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 which is my hungriest aircraft. I suppose in v5 that might go up a few Gb but not beyond 10 which could cause problems.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Regarding 'performance' differences between v4.5 and v5.2 I wonder if someone can speak to this a little more.  Right now I use 4.5 and because I only use PMDG 777 & NGUx I got tired of needing to stop the sim and downturn sliders affecting the CPU primarily when approaching big especially add-on terminals in complex scenery.  So I disabled Orbx NCA & SCA, have reduced autogen/vegetation to sparse, turned the distance slider down to medium, and complexity to dense.   I do have Orbx Global installed.  So because the eye candy piece is pretty much now restricted to nice 3rd party airports I fly from dusk until dawn pretty much, when visuals don't matter beyond the nice airports.  I have the most relaxed setup possible, vsyncing to a 30Hz screen.  So I can fly into KDEN-HD in the NGXu and keep the main thread at less than 90% utilization.   It is so nice now to see all AI traffic totally smooth, and never see the main thread get nailed where I have to stop and adjust, which I really detest.  In short, I traded in visual complexity for guaranteed fluid performance.

From looking at the above background, how much more visual complexity can I expect if I went to v5.2, with the caveat I don't want to see any poor performance flying in and out of complex scenery, as is the case now for me?  

Thanks

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X