Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v5 - how is VRAM handling now?

4 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

In fact the only 2 aircraft I fly with 30hz vsync is the Ngxu in medium to heavy weather and the Milviz KA350i.  That would not have been possible in v4.5.

For me it’s the Xtreme Prototypes Lear25 which is very inefficient with Dynamic Lighting in v4.5. The other improvement in v5.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My biggest issue with V5 is semi baked EA and lack of support for some Asian airports. Some people are saying "I'm fine with V5, i'm just turning off EA" that kinda makes me puzzled as in my opinion the EA is the best part of V5 visual components.

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Bear in mind the only reason I’m investigating v5 now is because of FS Labs saying Concorde with full PBR will be able to take advantage of v5. Otherwise I would be staying with v4.

If I can’t get 50fps at heavy airports I don’t think I’d appreciate 50 in the air. I’m sure 50 over 30 is much better for VR and head-scanning but for normal monitor use 30 is fine for me.

Sadly, until such time as a 3000 11Gb+ card is available I’m stuck with my 1080Ti hoping it doesn’t develop a fault.

Here's a direct performance comparison between v4 and v5:
http://flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13806#p67159

I can't list any v4 to v5 performance comparisons myself, as I cannot remember what the performance delta was between the two P3D versions on my PC.
Here's a video showing regular 8 - 10 FPS improvements instead:

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@F737NG, thank you, very informative. I couldn't live with those v5 clouds though. Totally lacking any detail.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@F737NG, thank you, very informative. I couldn't live with those v5 clouds though. Totally lacking any detail.

I thought that REX should work with V5.

7 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

I thought that REX should work with V5.

I'm sure it does but I use Active Sky and ASCA. Just as good if not better I'm sure.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

One word - performance.  50fps in the Ngxu anyone? 🥳🥳

Are you talking Orbx NCA at KSFO-HD, or SCA at KLAX w/ all sliders hard right?  Without context that '50fps in the NGXu' means little to nothing.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

58 minutes ago, Noel said:

Are you talking Orbx NCA at KSFO-HD, or SCA at KLAX w/ all sliders hard right?  Without context that '50fps in the NGXu' means little to nothing.

Neither because I dont fly in the US.

Generally all sliders to the right apart from LOD radius (one notch left) and autogen display distance (one notch left). This is in my preferred flying zone of the UK/Scandinavia with full AIG AI and add-ons for the area (mostly uk2000 and Orbx)

For completeness sake, it's with zero AA, but only because my 2080Ti chokes otherwise.  Sadly the current GPU market renders an upgrade impossible 😭

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I am currently using a 5+ year old Jetline system as my flightsim computer: i7 6700K OC to 4.6 and a GTX 1070 with 8GB of Vram, 16GB of sys. ram. I have P3D 5.1 hf 1 installed on a        Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD (my D drive) and Win 10 OS.

Even though I am not able to have all of my "sliders" completely maxed out, I am really enjoying version 5.1 (having left behind P3D 3.4). I have all of my Orbx scenery installed but no True Earth. I have had "EA" enabled but do not like how it looks so I fly with it disabled &.I do miss my Rex 4 cloud textures. I am using an older Samsung flat screen monitor so I do use a 4K resolution setting and have my FPS set at "30". My Vram usage has been anywhere from 2.8 to 3.8 depending on location, weather settings (I do not have Active Sky) and type of aircraft I have selected. My hangar is primarily GA, some business jets and older warbirds, nothing too complex or study level. 

So anyone out there that is still somewhat hesitant in purchasing P3D 5.1 due to having an older system, do not let that stop you from going to version 5.1. I am hoping that in time LM will have the EA bugs resolved. Finally, I probably will in time purchase and install MSFS 2020, but for now, I am waiting to do so until that sim matures and more of my favorite addons will be available for it as well,

I don't think that the video did v5 any favours. Sky looks awful and the colours of the ground look unreal. The difference in FPS made no difference to the quality of flight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I don't think that the video did v5 any favours. Sky looks awful and the colours of the ground look unreal. The difference in FPS made no difference to the quality of flight. 

Agreed Ian. To appreciate the difference a complex airport should have been flown over. <30fps in v4 But >35fps in v5 would have been more of a selling point.

And I will still be adding FS Global, FTX Global and probably UTX Europe etc. to enhance the ground textures and terrain. Other than DX12 and a new weather engine v5 appears to be not a great deal more than a point upgrade.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not sure that video did any favors, but when you go EA, it's hard to go back despite the work LM has to do with cloud and weather implementation. In a way it's comparable to going to MSFS from P3Dv5. It's now hard for me to go back, because the visuals in MSFS are so spectacular and breathtaking parred with next level performance.  V5 brought dx12 performance to this old FSX platform that I have never seen since the first days of FSX. LM is on the right track, just wish they were a little quicker about it. 

I've never run my new pc build with P3Dv4.5 but I can tell you that on my old 2700K and RTX2080 build, P3Dv5 ran better and smoother out of the gate. And you always have that option to disable EA mode for that old legacy look and perfectly functioning weather and clouds. IMO there is no reason to go back to v4. In fact I deleted all my backup installers and v4 files just the other day. 

• Like 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Neither because I dont fly in the US.

Generally all sliders to the right apart from LOD radius (one notch left) and autogen display distance (one notch left). This is in my preferred flying zone of the UK/Scandinavia with full AIG AI and add-ons for the area (mostly uk2000 and Orbx)

For completeness sake, it's with zero AA, but only because my 2080Ti chokes otherwise.  Sadly the current GPU market renders an upgrade impossible 😭

Flying into Heathrow at 50fps?  That is remarkable if true.  Zero AA sounds pretty nasty no?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Flying into Heathrow at 50fps?  That is remarkable if true.  Zero AA sounds pretty nasty no?

Well, I don't fly into EGLL either, I prefer to avoid London, in the sim as in RL!  True, zero AA is a compromise, there's no avoiding it's less pretty, but mostly it's a compromise I'm mostly comfortable to make at the present while it gives me fluid 50.  If I'm not though it's easy to drop to 30 vsynced and ramp up AA.  With a more capable GPU I could have both, but....

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Ray, in my opinion, the best thing for you to do is to be patient and simply wait for the release of the new FSL Concorde. Once that happens, there will be (hopefully) enough information available on how much better the airplane performs/looks in P3Dv5 over P3Dv4. I assume that paying for one license will allow you to fly the plane in either simulator. In case you will not find the improvements convincing, you can always stay with P3Dv4, as you do now. If you deem that an upgrade of the sim would be worth the money and effort, by all means, you will be able to do so without any problems. Who knows, maybe the new simulator will get some updates and new features by the time of release?

• Upvote 1