Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v5 - how is VRAM handling now?

13 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

The response from ASOBO was once it moved to DX12 it will give them the ability to add more eye candy. LOL more you say....

No interest whatsoever in MSFS whilst it remains in unofficial beta. Maybe in a couple of years for low-level sight-seeing.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No interest whatsoever in MSFS whilst it remains in unofficial beta. Maybe in a couple of years for low-level sight-seeing.

My bad I didn't realize which forum I was in for a min. As for LM I'm not sure. I would assume the same, better graphic options. Unfortunately we are all waiting for this to materialize, as I can only guess they are working on the lighting/weather issues, as of now sometimes it looks great and other times not so much. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I see my local online store is advertising RTX 3060 12 GB cards for roughly the same price as I paid 2 years ago for my 1080. (Just over R10000).

Where do these fit in the hierarchy?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

9 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

My bad I didn't realize which forum I was in for a min. As for LM I'm not sure. I would assume the same, better graphic options. Unfortunately we are all waiting for this to materialize, as I can only guess they are working on the lighting/weather issues, as of now sometimes it looks great and other times not so much. 

No worries Ken. Having had lots of replies it would seem the processing of graphics has been greatly improved with DX12 over 11. A new weather feature but I'll be sticking to Active Sky.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 2/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@TurboKen, I agree they’re very impressive numbers. There’s just one tiny problem. I’d have a greater chance of buying a flux capacitor than a series 20 or 30 graphics card. I’m amazed you’re not running in 4K with a 3090.

• With my current monitor I'm at 4k resolution in width, but as an ultrawide it is only half as high as a full 4k monitor. I also have a 55" HDR TV in the same room, I will use a longer DP cable when I want a larger screen and Dolby Atmos Surround.

My humble 1080Ti will have to make do for the foreseeable future.

• With 11gb of Vram you will be fine, just don't try and max out everything. But it's not like you could do that with V4 either.

Your signature shows you still have v4.5. Any reason why?

• I use V5 with ORBX True Earth on the west coast of the US. I can basically have my QW787 and payware airports along with true earth and fully maxed out settings and still be smooth. It's amazing really.
  • For V4.5 I have thousands of dollars of add-on's and use it for flying everywhere else. EU,UK, AUS, everywhere.

I added my answers in your quote...

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

For what it's worth, my machine (i7-9700k @4.9, GTX 1080ti) when I maxed everything out at FlyTampa KLAS with the NGXu, I was seeing 7GB VRAM with EA on too. But I only run 1080p monitor. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

15 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I added my answers in your quote...

Thanks Ken but the font isn't the easiest on the eye. I never have all sliders to the right. I go with the pragmatic choice to prevent CPU1 and GPU hitting 100%.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I see my local online store is advertising RTX 3060 12 GB cards for roughly the same price as I paid 2 years ago for my 1080. (Just over R10000).

Where do these fit in the hierarchy?

Hardly any difference Ian as this site shows. Hang on to your 1080.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4105vs3603

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

29 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hardly any difference Ian as this site shows. Hang on to your 1080.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4105vs3603

Honestly? For V5, needing as much VRAM as it does... a 3060 isn't a terrible "budget" (good luck getting it at MSRP...) choice during this time when it's almost impossible to get a hold of any other card with adequate VRAM. 

edit: also he could sell is 1080 for almost as much as a 3060

Edited by Chapstick

@Chapstick, the extra 4Gb of VRAM would be useful but it doesn’t seem any faster.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Ray Proudfoot, I took the plunge and upgraded to P3Dv5.  I know I said I would wait for you, but curiosity got the best of me.  So far, I can say performance and visuals are better.  At the moment, I'm flying a Feelthere E190, which some consider a heavy VRAM use aircraft, and some complex airport scenery.  I haven't seen more than 4.9 VRAM being used.  It looks like I won't have to continually monitor VRAM which is what I didn't want to do and the reason why I left FSX for P3D. 

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

@SAX702, I bought it yesterday and installed FSUIPC for it today. Nothing else. I normally fly in full-screen mode so toggled to that with a default aircraft at a default airfield.

When I toggled back to windowed - BANG! DGXI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED

Surely they fixed this with 5.1? I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers via DDU in Safe Mode and installed the latest.

Still had the same problem when togggling window modes. After shutting down RTSS and Afterburner it was as clean as you could get. Still the problem persisted.

I visited the L-M website to dig for help. Found a guidance topic that recommended changing a setting in NCP for P3D.

Prefer Maximum Performance

After setting that it fixed the problem. But why oh why do they bury these things on their website? It should be in a readme with the download. Very frustrating to have gone through a few hours when the solution was so simple.

Until I install some 3rd party scenery and add AIG Ai I can't really tell how much better it is. Downloading the Xtreme Prototypes Lear25 now and will test with that tomorrow plus some 3rd party scenery and AIG.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SAX702, I bought it yesterday and installed FSUIPC for it today. Nothing else. I normally fly in full-screen mode so toggled to that with a default aircraft at a default airfield.

When I toggled back to windowed - BANG! DGXI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED

Surely they fixed this with 5.1? I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers via DDU in Safe Mode and installed the latest.

Still had the same problem when togggling window modes. After shutting down RTSS and Afterburner it was as clean as you could get. Still the problem persisted.

I visited the L-M website to dig for help. Found a guidance topic that recommended changing a setting in NCP for P3D.

Prefer Maximum Performance

After setting that it fixed the problem. But why oh why do they bury these things on their website? It should be in a readme with the download. Very frustrating to have gone through a few hours when the solution was so simple.

Until I install some 3rd party scenery and add AIG Ai I can't really tell how much better it is. Downloading the Xtreme Prototypes Lear25 now and will test with that tomorrow plus some 3rd party scenery and AIG.

Hi Ray. Sorry for those circumstances. 

I can only say you will probably not regret you've bought V5.1. :-) 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

19 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Hi Ray. Sorry for those circumstances. 

I can only say you will probably not regret you've bought V5.1. 🙂

I hope not Marcus. It's a stressful time getting everything into a new sim and ironing out problems.

I have to buy a new version of SimStarterNG plus Active Sky and the PMDG737NGXu. Just as well I haven't been able to spend any money during the pandemic!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have to buy a new version of SimStarterNG plus Active Sky and the PMDG737NGXu.

Just in case: if you had the 737NGXu for P3Dv4, you don't need to buy it again for v5.

- TONY -