Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Pop Up Readable Speed/Altitude Display?

I am flying the WT CJ4 a lot at the moment & am finding I can't get a cockpit view where I can clearly see the runway on approach, & the dashboard Speed/Altitude Tape, at the same time.

If I set up a view to see both concurrently by glancing from the runway down to the Tape, I find the Tape digits are too small for my eye sight. 

Is there any sort of 3rd party add on  HUD or other method that just shows Speed & Altitude , in big digits, that you can toggle On & Off in a corner of the screen?

I find the MSFS HUD has too much data & is distracting, plastered across the screen.

I suppose alternatively  I could set up a Cockpit Close Up View of the tape & somehow flick from the runway view to that, & back, via a keystroke or joy stick allocation, but I am not sure which mappings to use to do that.

T45

If you hold the Right ALT key you can pop out the display, and also resize it. I have to look at the CJ4 and see if the Speed & Altitude is show on one display? Cause if you pop out two display they get smaller, and line up next to each other. Maybe that would work for you? There is also an Accessibility area somewhere so people can make suggestions. They mentioned it on one of the streams they did, as part of the No Pilot Left Behind for MSFS.

• Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

38 minutes ago, in2tech said:

If you hold the Right ALT key you can pop out the display, and also resize it. I have to look at the CJ4 and see if the Speed & Altitude is show on one display? Cause if you pop out two display they get smaller, and line up next to each other. Maybe that would work for you? There is also an Accessibility area somewhere so people can make suggestions. They mentioned it on one of the streams they did, as part of the No Pilot Left Behind for MSFS.

Thanks for looking at this.

The way my set up is configured, this works if I hover the mouse pointer over the Speed/Altitude tape unit, press & hold the Right Alt Key, then concurrently left mouse click the unit.

The tape unit then expands in the top left corner & is readable. It takes up about 60% of the top left.

I can shrink it with the mouse, but it doesn't hold the shrunken size on the next cycle/flight through, (after being closed)

I usually fly approaches using joystick & keyboard, but if  grabbing for the mouse too makes this work, then it gives me an option.😀

T45

Just now, Treetops45 said:

Thanks for looking at this.

The way my set up is configured, this works if I hover the mouse pointer over the Speed/Altitude tape unit, press & hold the Right Alt Key, then concurrently left mouse click the unit.

The tape unit then expands in the top left corner & is readable. It takes up about 60% of the top left.

I can shrink it with the mouse, but it doesn't hold the shrunken size on the next cycle/flight through, (after being closed)

I usually fly approaches using joystick & keyboard, but if  grabbing for the mouse too makes this work, then it gives me an option.😀

T45

You can also drag it onto a different monitor so it does not block your view, but be warned it will kill your frame rate.

3 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Yeah it does NOT hold the size when you close the window. You have to resize it again. I also which it would keep the adjusted size, at least until you restarted another flight. But it does not at this point. Good luck, hope this is a work around for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, in2tech said:

Yeah it does NOT hold the size when you close the window. You have to resize it again. I also which it would keep the adjusted size, at least until you restarted another flight. But it does not at this point. Good luck, hope this is a work around for now.

I just took a quick flight in the WT CJ4 & it works really well.

I was able to set it for the size I wanted for takeoff & after that, minimized it, then brought it back up to the usable size for the landing, which was a lot better than my previous 'guessed' approach speed attempts.

So again, thanks for the info.

I will be curious to see if it is usable in other aircraft.

T45

3 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

I will be curious to see if it is usable in other aircraft.

I pop out the displays in most of the aircraft at times for different reasons. On the A320 ( or A32NX ) usually to see my flight path etc... It should work on most if not all of the aircraft. You can also Pop Out at least 2 displays that I know of, but most of the time it's too small for me to read. Although you might be able to resize the group? I don't know as I have never tried too 🙂

I mainly use it when I am making or adjusting my flight plans. My eyes aren't what they used to be 🙂 Haven't been for a very long time! Even with glasses.

Regarding the second pop out display joining the first, you can separate them. On the right side of the title bar, click the third icon to the left. Looks like a circle with a + in it, with a tail going down and to the right.

And yes, the pop outs are resizable, either as a group or separately.

Also, you can pop out as many screens as you wish. You can choose which to separate and which to keep as a group. However, once separated, I haven't found a way to put one back into a group.

...jim

Edited by JimBrown

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

There is a 'thingy' on the middle windshield pillar that tells you whether you are above or below reference speeds.

Petraeus

I tried out this app recommended in another thread and it seems to work quite well:

https://flightsim.to/file/2828/msfs-mobile-companion-app

Basically it is accessed by a browser either on the same PC you are using for MSFS or a sperate device like an iPad or laptop on the same local network, no software is needed on the remote device just network access and a browser.