Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

I need your help to understand... [VR]

Hello everybody,

I think i'm missing something. Here's my system:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X @4300Mhz
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti
RAM: 32GB HyperX Predator @3333Mhz CL16

Not a monster, but not trash, i think (?)
When i read some posts in forums or watch youtube videos about MSFS2020 in VR, i read/hear the word "SMOOTH"... And this just makes me laugh.
I wanted to follow some guide (i don't want to name names) on some very famous youtuber channel about MSFS in VR.

I set up the OpenXR registry "hack" to make use of Oculus api JSON.
I setup OpenXR @70% rendering as suggested. Everything else is default. (and anyways any setting here seems to make no difference).
In Oculus app, supersampling is 1, default.
I set some common nvidia settings via Inspector:

• Maximum prerendered frames = 1
  • VR prerendered frames = 1
  • Threaded Optimization = On
  • Power management = Maximum performance
  • Aniso Sample Optimization = On
  • Negative LOD Bias = Allow
  • Texture filtering quality = High performance
  • Trilinear Optimization = On
  • Vertical Sync = Fast Sync

I set ingame settings to be able to reach at least 30-35 fps in VR.
With Oculus Tray Tool i set the "mirror" FOV to 0.70, to theorically gain performance.
AWS 30Hz (to stick with the FPS i can obtain).
VR Server running at hign priority.
MSFS running at high priority.
Disable fullscreen optimizations for the game .exe
Run it as Admin.
Win game mode off, Win HAGS off.

..............And so on and so on and so on.........  All the common things a normal gamer should know.

And, well, it is everything but "smooth".
I wonder how that guy with an I5 8600K, a 1080TI and 16 RAM can say "it runs SMOOTH as silk"... That PC performances less than half mine.

Now it comes your help, AVSIM friends: depending on ingame settings, i get a Performance Headroom of -120, yes MINUS 120... to 4/5. so how it could be even close to "smooth"?!
How one can say a game runs smooth with so little PH percentage?!
Every game with that PH makes you puke after 5 minutes 'couse of stuttering and juddering and wobbling.
I play Alyx and Medal of Honor @ full details, and they are SMOOTH FOR REAL.
Please, tell me what is your Performance Headroom, maybe it is just me missing something.

Edited by Alberto Zanot

everyone's "smooth' seems to be different

I think you should get around upper 20's fps with smaller planes and low 20's fps in the 747 etc. when over the bigger cities with your system. Quest 2 is not running quite as smoothly as the G2 on same system and same GFX settings, from my experimenting. 

Can you get it up to 20fps? I can't get much above 30fps no matter what I set in GFX regardless of headset I use.

Most videos I see online where the users are happy with performance, and saying it's really smooth for them, look like they are mid to high 20's FPS, unless the screen recorder is tossing out some frames?

Edited by dogmanbird

It all comes down to the final resolution that has to be rendered. In the MSFS settings for scaling (mine is at 60%) it reads about 1440p. In the Reverb G2 with RX5700XT and i7-6700K, I have a smooth experience with capped 30 fps (MSI afterburner with RivaTuner). With some settings high or ultra (texture resolution) it is still a quite sharp image in the TBM.