Sign in to follow this  
Mike44

update terror

2 hours ago, Afterburner said:

Why would MS not make updates optional to accommodate those who live in parts of the world where the internet is slow, expensive or volume limited?

Because that will add a new level of complexity for them and third party developers! That's a really bad idea and also slows development since everyone will have to test against the latest patch and previous ones.

Juan Ramos

10 hours ago, Mike44 said:

Why are updates always that big? Downloading every time mutliple GB. X-Plane for ex. are much smaller and make sense but this is...

Yeah its crazy with these big updates, its just too much

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Imagine all the folks that purchased the dvd set to avoid big downloads 🧐

I'd give you 4 likes for that one if I could. 😀

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm 6 days into my initial install with 120gb to go. 🥶

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

When we get to sim update 4, I will use the standard linux 'rdiffdir' tool to generate a binary delta file between my sim directory pre and post update. 

Then we can see how efficient or not the algorithm Asobo is using is.

If it turns out to be super inefficient, I can use the data in a Wishlist post on the official forum (that they can quickly ignore).

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Every time someone asks about DX12 in the Dev Q&A, the devs downplay any performance increase.

I tend to think that they know something we don't about how the sim works and it wont be a big increase.

Saying it will make a huge difference in my mind is like saying there was some secret build of the sim that was a lot more "done" which would be released after the Beta, or that they had tons of fixes ready to go within the first 6 months after release.

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Imagine Asobo only releasing tiny updates, oh my God, the complaining here would wake up an army of dead people.

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

Every time someone asks about DX12 in the Dev Q&A, the devs downplay any performance increase.

I tend to think that they know something we don't about how the sim works and it wont be a big increase.

They already said, the sim is already multi threaded and DX12 is not meant for performance, it is more for new features to be enabled, there is some sort of misunderstanding that DX12 will give a performance boast similar to P3D. However, they did say, the performance optimizations that were meant for X-Box, will be coming to the PC version along the DX12.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

6 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

They already said, the sim is already multi threaded and DX12 is not meant for performance, it is more for new features to be enabled, there is some sort of misunderstanding that DX12 will give a performance boast similar to P3D. However, they did say, the performance optimizations that were meant for X-Box, will be coming to the PC version along the DX12.

WHAT is multi-threaded and how efficient it is?

You can still multi-thread a flight model and other unrelated to rendering graphics stuff.

dx12 is a graphics API and it's built from day 0 (just like vulkan) to be able to shoot draw calls from multiple cores, hence the "main thread" bottleneck that shoots draw-calls. dx11, like opengl, is very limited.

dx12 by it self won't solve a lot, it just gives the foundations to build a paralyzed rendering engine= MUCH faster shadows, reflections, VR, multi-monitor and more.

So to say the least, "DX12 is not meant for performance optimizations" and just for "graphic features" is pure BS if they claimed that. And unfortunately, expect pure chaos in the first months of MSFS's dx12 implementation, just like P3DV5 or XP11.50 had those months, or any other low-profile API implementation in which you are trying to do a better job in crucial topics than Nvidia/AMD drivers.

People are yet to acknowledge this big gap due to those pretty graphics, I wonder where P3D/XP will be in the summer.

Edited by akita
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, akita said:

WHAT is multi-threaded and how efficient it is?

You can still multi-thread a flight model and other unrelated to rendering graphics stuff.

dx12 is a graphics API and it's built from day 0 (just like vulkan) to be able to shoot draw calls from multiple cores, hence the "main thread" bottleneck that shoots draw-calls. dx11, like opengl, is very limited.

dx12 by it self won't solve a lot, it just gives the foundations to build a paralyzed rendering engine= MUCH faster shadows, reflections, VR, multi-monitor and more.

So to say the least, "DX12 is not meant for performance optimizations" and just for "graphic features" is pure BS if they claimed that. And unfortunately, expect pure chaos in the first months of MSFS's dx12 implementation, just like P3DV5 or XP11.50 had those months, or any other low-profile API implementation in which you are trying to do a better job in crucial topics than Nvidia/AMD drivers.

People are yet to acknowledge this big gap due to those pretty graphics, I wonder where P3D/XP will be in the summer.

As an end user not up to all the technical jargon , I can tell you that by far the smoothest feeling sim I have ever used is XP11 with vulkan. I remember the first time I tried it, and I though, wow. It was that big. Purely just on smoothness alone. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

17 hours ago, RustyFlyer said:

Enough with the editorializing; stop please.

I'm sorry. I didn't know you were a Greta Thunberg fan. Abject apologies to anyone else I've offended. It's so easily done these days.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Wake up fresh and focused.

Let's try some MSFS - Oh an update, m.2 check, giga internet check.

7hrs later still trying to update no end in sight. 😞

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

My install finally completed after many hours (days).  I had to get a true unlimited plan but wireless data tends to be over utilized so I knew what I was in for.

Cheers

bs 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

beyond ridiculous, 9hrs and no end in sight. stuck reboot, stuck reboot. What kind of derangement though this was ok to implement.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD