Sign in to follow this  
gporzio

Big boost in fps by disabling services

Hello fellow simmers.

First of all, apologies if this issue has been covered elsewhere. I have performed a search and have not found the answer. So here goes:

I am running a Windows 10 Home edition, on an I7 8700K 32 GB RAM rig. Since installing P3D v.5, and as I have a graphics card with "only" 6GB (Nvidia GTX 1060), at some point I launched the ASUS gaming booster tool and stopped all non-essential Windows services and processes (about 50 in all). To my surprise, I am getting reasonably high framerates (39/40 fps) at a busy airport such as KLAX, with a complex aircraft (Leonardo's MD83 or PMDG's NGXu), with Active Sky and Ultimate Traffic Live loaded as well. Outside the airport area, frame rates will climb up into the fifties. So it is almost perfect, without having do dish out a few hundred Euros for a new graphic card.

However, one feature (there might be others, but I haven't detected them) is no longer working: night lighting of the runways at some airports (most noticeably EBBR). I launch P3D5 without the system boost, and the runway lights are on. I then launch the booster facility and all night lighting works except for the runway lights. As for the rest, the system is stable, within the known quirks of P3D5, which may CTD because of access violations, etc.

Does anyone know which services must stay on for the lighting issue to be solved? Hunting and pecking is not an option, as indeed I can deactivate each service separately, but each time I have to launch the booster and then try again and again. Given the number of possible permutations for 50+ services and processes, it is an impossible task to complete in a lifetime.

Cheers,

Giorgio Porzio

Playing with Windows services is something I gave up on a long time ago as I found little to no benefit in doing so.

That said, if you want to safely tweak your OS, I suggest you check out the Black Viper website.

This guy has been keeping people out of trouble for years with his OS services charts that show settings for Default, Safe and Tweaked.

Lloyd

• Like 2

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

5 hours ago, gporzio said:

Does anyone know which services must stay on for the lighting issue to be solved? Hunting and pecking is not an option, as indeed I can deactivate each service separately, but each time I have to launch the booster and then try again and again. Given the number of possible permutations for 50+ services and processes, it is an impossible task to complete in a lifetime.

Well, if there are 50 services; disable 25 of them.  See if the issue is resolved.  If not, then enable the previous 25 and disable the next 25.  If not again, try a different combination of services in case multiple services together are causing the issue.  Continue isolating the issue in smaller chunks and so forth.

• Like 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

6 hours ago, gporzio said:

I am running a Windows 10 Home edition, on an I7 8700K 32 GB RAM rig. Since installing P3D v.5, and as I have a graphics card with "only" 6GB (Nvidia GTX 1060), at some point I launched the ASUS gaming booster tool and stopped all non-essential Windows services and processes (about 50 in all). To my surprise, I am getting reasonably high framerates (39/40 fps) at a busy airport such as KLAX, with a complex aircraft (Leonardo's MD83 or PMDG's NGXu), with Active Sky and Ultimate Traffic Live loaded as well.

What's the performance in the same situation without disabling these services and processes?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

4 hours ago, Noell said:

Playing with Windows services is something I gave up on a long time ago as I found little to no benefit in doing so.

Me too I gave up 😉

- TONY -

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I tried working in chunks but I have been unsuccessful in pinpointing the services or processes or combinations thereof I need to keep.

I’ll definitely try the Black Viper solution.

When in non boosted mode, I am getting about 12-13 fps. As soon as I kill unnecessary processes and services, I get between 35 and 45 fps.

Thanks again!

be careful my friend 

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

3 hours ago, gporzio said:

When in non boosted mode, I am getting about 12-13 fps. As soon as I kill unnecessary processes and services, I get between 35 and 45 fps

I never saw any change with these boosters, although they announced, having stopped many services. You may have programs running in the back who really use the cpu, like the sim itself. All these windows services are almost at 0% cpu idling in the back. 

I also never had problems using a booster program. They usually restart all services with a push of a button.

I can hardly believe a windows service has a partial influence on the lighting of the sim. That must be something different. I´d expect the complete graphic failure but not just a part of it. Maybe the time was different and the sim switched off the lights. 

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods