Sign in to follow this  
fjr_nate

Airport is now IFR

I was flying multiple touch and goes practicing my pattern work and landings when on the downwind leg the tower notified me that the airport was now IFR and requested a full stop landing. Thought that was pretty cool. 

• Like 1

That's actually really neat. Did it look IFR at the time?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I've certainly been denied take-offs and landings before because of IFR conditions, but not when already in the pattern to touch and go. Did you have the option in the ATC menu to ignore IFR conditions at the airport just as you can before requesting take-off or full stop landings?

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

It was partly cloudy and didn't seem IFR but my computer isn't the best and many of my settings are on low. I can't remember if it gave me the option to ignore. I was probably too shocked that ATC almost seemed real for a sec.

• Like 1

It would be so much easier and in mho, to add which airport you are referring to so that other sim members can enjoy the same experience.........

The in-game native ATC does offer the option to ignore the IFR conditions, if you want to, allowing you to land VFR.

Edited by Redge
Don't want to open a can of worms about whether it's a game or a sim!

9 hours ago, fjr_nate said:

airport was now IFR and requested a full stop landing. Thought that was pretty cool. 

What I find interesting is the fact that if you are not IFR trained, and the airport is now IFR only, how can they let you land VFR and is the alternative "death by crashing"?

Seriously though, IRL, I would imagine that long before it became IFR only, you would be encouraged to end your flying for the day.

Any further thoughts

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 minute ago, himmelhorse said:

What I find interesting is the fact that if you are not IFR trained, and the airport is now IFR only, how can they let you land VFR and is the alternative "death by crashing"?

Seriously though, IRL, I would imagine that long before it became IFR only, you would be encouraged to end your flying for the day.

Any further thoughts

Tony 

When I used to fly at Fairoaks, if you were doing circuits or similar, they very often put out a warning along the lines of...  "according to latest weather forcasts, the weather may well limit VFR flying by xx hrs and it is advised that all aircraft flying VFR land prior to xx hrs for safety reasons"

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Graham,

I suspect that this would be an almost universal approach and I further suspect that when filing with the relevant authorities, there would be the initial warning that WX was anticipated to depreciate. A wise VFR pilot would be considering his options before the initial take-off.

What you have said actually make a lot of sense.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

To be fair, IFR doesn't mean whiteout and zero visibility.

According to SERA ("EU-rules") VFR in controlled airspace (class C) must be conducted with at least 5km forward vis and clear of clouds by at least 1000ft. Especially the latter condition is something where regulations and practice are not always aligned.

Compare that to minimums in uncontrolled airspace VFR, SERA dictates that if you are in the pattern with field in sight and fly slower than 140KIAS AND below 1000ft AGL , the visibility can be as low as 1,5km. Which is less than 1 nautical mile.😬

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Any further thoughts

Tony 

We cannot rely on the ATC/Tower all the time, Once I was practicing Tailwheel landings (American Decathlon) at Alliance airport on a gusty windy day since they have a 8000 feet or something like that, a  long runway to do multiple touch and goes at one time .. Alliance Ft.worth  a couple of of miles away from my home airport 52F, The weather looked reasonable but at a   distance to the north CFI and I could see cumulous nimbus   rising up. But thought we could be in the circuit for another 15 minutes. WRONG, the freaking thing hit us so fast  we caught ourselves in the midst of a thunderstorm and we ran for cover back toeh home airport and my CFI took control and managed to land and we quickly locked up the aircraft n the hangar. It was an experience I learned the hard way...kind of how the weather could change so fast and so hard so quickly. It scared me. 

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Any further thoughts

Tony 

IRL airport can go IFR in matter a minutes even if forecast calling for VFR. Seen it done it LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

IRL airport can go IFR in matter a minutes even if forecast calling for VFR. Seen it done it LOL

I can imagine that. As a cyclist I rode about 8km from my parents to my home with about 30km/h or so and started with sunshine. I came home completely drenched and it was like the apocalypse. 

Just now, kakihara123 said:

I can imagine that. As a cyclist I rode about 8km from my parents to my home with about 30km/h or so and started with sunshine. I came home completely drenched and it was like the apocalypse. 

I live and fly in coastal area where marine layer and fog can linger at the shore whole day or just move and quickly and blanket airport. I remember an instance when TAF for was forecasting 4-5 more hour of VFR. We took off with my student for a short airwork, I looked back and saw fog started quickly rolling in . Even though I'm was instrument current and airplane of IFR equipped, with a dense fog  in we could not even requested  ILS back! Because for would eat our minimum to a less than 3/4 of mile and ceiling would dropped below 200 ft. So I ask ATC to make a short approach. As we made over treshhold  as fog has already swallowed 3/4 of runway. After we cleared active airport was closed until morning ! Lucky us we got to spend night with our families LOL

This how it's usually look when it still possible to land LOL

IMG_8922.jpg?width=1817&height=1211

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

In US class D you can takeoff without an IFR flight plan in IFR conditions, you may be in violation as soon as you takeoff but the tower if not the enforcement agent.  You will probably be notified to contact someone when able.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K