Sign in to follow this  
tup61

MSFS reboots PC... can't fly at all: troubleshooting advice?

On 3/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, B4S said:

It can also be that you run a different power plan on your PC causing this rebooting. You can check and switching this back to 'balanced'.

As I said I did this last friday, I had it at maximum performance, and I have to say... I didn't have a single reboot this entire weekend... I thought it might also have to do with my only flying the C172 steam gauges: perhaps the G1000/3000 screeens do something odd on my PC, but I am now doing a test flight with the TBM, which would always reboot the PC after a while, and... it's still flying after some 20 minutes, and, take note, I loaded the TBM (using dev mode) after finishing a flight with the C172 that took 1.30 hrs and which I also paused an hour...! And after all this time the TBM still hasn't rebooted my PC! MSFS has been running now for almost 3 hours!!!

So... fingers crossed... maybe that power setting did the trick indeed! It's nice anway that I've been able to do a lot of flying this weekend! I will post here if something goes wrong again. I might even do a test and see what happens if I set the power plan to maximum again...

Aw, bummer... Got a reboot again. But well, at least it takes quite a bit longer (on one day) before it occurs so as it is now I might be able to do one or two or tree short(ish) flights a day anyway and that's better than nothing. 😉 Curious to see what happens when the weather gets better and the temps get higher. Must be a hardware problem anyway, I guess. I will leave it at this over here. No use in going on about it. 😉

What version of Nvidia’s driver are you using? I have issues with crashing on recent Nvidia drivers. Try 457.3. 

Also, I assume you’ve undone any overclocks. 

ps. I haven’t read the whole thread so this is likely only a factor if other games and apps work fine and just MSFS is causing issues. All my other games work fine on the latest drivers. Just MSFS has issues.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What version of Nvidia’s driver are you using? I have issues with crashing on recent Nvidia drivers. Try 457.3. 

Also, I assume you’ve undone any overclocks. 

ps. I haven’t read the whole thread so this is likely only a factor if other games and apps work fine and just MSFS is causing issues. All my other games work fine on the latest drivers. Just MSFS has issues.

I am using the one but last nVidia version. I might give that old one a try...

Yes, no overclocks here (since a year or so already).

Thanks for the tips! Yes, only MSFS is giving issues...!

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Let me know how that goes.  I'm also rolling back drivers now. 😞

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

When you say only MSFS is giving you issues, what other softwares are you using? Do they need as much as computer resources as MSFS?

Like I’ve said before, MSFS is the game (or simulator, as you wish) that uses the most all the computer power you offer to it. CPU, GPU, RAM, network etc. All are used intensively. And when you have a defective part on that scenario, things like this usually happen (shutdowns, restarts etc).

You should try other softwares that stress your system as a whole.

Edited by ca_metal

2 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Like I’ve said before, MSFS is the game (or simulator, as you wish) that uses the most all the computer power you offer to it. CPU, GPU, RAM, network etc. All are used intensively. And when you have a defective part on that scenario, things like this usually happen (shutdowns, restarts etc).

I get the occasional CTD in MSFS with my system and it would be very easy to blame MSFS.   Thing is I occasionally (rarely) play other high demand games and have had one or two CTD there as well.  Which leads to believe it is something to do with my 3070 and the latest Nvidia drivers.  

If I only ever played MSFS and a few other non-demanding games it would be very very easy to blame MSFS for the crash.