Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBravoUK

[Resolved] not seeing hardly any aircraft lights P3D V5.1

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user (a couple of weeks), and despite having read the instructions (including removing the "effects" entries from offending addons) - I'm not really seeing many lights on any aircraft.

Mostly all I see is the (annoying - but I know it can't be helped) - rearward "glow" from landing lights when aircraft are heading away from me,  and sometimes some landing lights when aircraft are pretty close, but no "beams" just spots of light.  I NEVER seem to see any strobes or nav lights and hardly any beacons.   

All in all, I'm a little undershwlemed.  The screenshots and videos look very impressive, so therefore I'm assuming that it must be my fault somewhere, but I'd appreciate any pointers.

(I'm using FLAi - it was already installed when the recent debacle occured, along with the BAV model matching set)

I'd welcome any input.

Edited by CharlieBravoUK

Intel i7 7700K @5.1Ghz, 32Gb DDR4, P3D v5.3 / MSFS running on Samsung 970evo plus Nvme SSD, Nvidia RTX2080ti
Samsung 55" curved 4KHDR display, Oculus Rift CV2

2 hours ago, CharlieBravoUK said:

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user (a couple of weeks), and despite having read the instructions (including removing the "effects" entries from offending addons) - I'm not really seeing many lights on any aircraft.

Mostly all I see is the (annoying - but I know it can't be helped) - rearward "glow" from landing lights when aircraft are heading away from me,  and sometimes some landing lights when aircraft are pretty close, but no "beams" just spots of light.  I NEVER seem to see any strobes or nav lights and hardly any beacons.   

All in all, I'm a little undershwlemed.  The screenshots and videos look very impressive, so therefore I'm assuming that it must be my fault somewhere, but I'd appreciate any pointers.

(I'm using FLAi - it was already installed when the recent debacle occured, along with the BAV model matching set)

I'd welcome any input.

You using expert interface? And FSREBORN scaling techniques which will override P3D lighting scaling behavior for a more realistic ones?

FLAI was delivering some FAIB models with wrong fuel tanks configuration, causing issues with lighting. So that is a posibility..

You checked the video tutorial?  We can get you sorted but let's start with the basics above.

Regards,

Simbol 

Edited by simbol
  • Like 1

Hi Simbol,

Thanks for responding quickly.   I've spent more time with this this morning (whilst waiting for PMDG to solve the 777 activation issues!) - and I'm making some progress, but it's still a bit disapointing.

I have managed to make strobes/beacons/nav lights show in the sim in some cases by upping the levels of the effects to what (in preview mode) seem very un-real, but at least they can be seen in the sim. 

I'm running at the moment in "expert" mode (which is a bit of a laugh as I'm clearly not!) but have tried it in basic, advanced & expert.  And yes, I had previously watched all of Rob's excellent tutorial,

I've also spent a long time this morning watching aircraft move around at EGLL (with time set to night) - and corresponding what I'm seeing to which models vPilot is injecting and it really does seem that almost all of the FAIB models and some others as part of FLAi are really not fit for purpose, particularly when it comes to landing lights.

I appreciate there are all sorts of issues regarding inter-compatibility, and I don't expect you to be able to make things work for everyone, but your site does say....

• Your AI Fleet must be P3D / FSX SDK compliant. Specifically it must comply with how lighting effects are installed inside of AI Models.

You can check this with your current AI Fleet developer. However thanks to our dedicated BETA testers we can certify the solution works with the following AI packages :

• AIG / AIGM-OCI
      • FLAI / BVAI
      • Just Flight Traffic 360
      • Just Flight  Traffic Global **
      • UTL (all versions)
      • Custom fleet using well known freeware AI Models (FAIB, TFS etc.) which are all available via Alpha India Group
However if our freeware is currently working for you, then it is very likely the professional version will also work without any issues.

** Just Flight Traffic Global requires Just Flight TG Version 1.1.1.2 or above. 

So it leads me to expect the product to work with FLAI including FAIB models - it feels a little wrong to only discover these issues once one has purchased the product. 

I'm assuming that I'm stuck with what I've got?   The stuff that works is very nice (apart from the landing light bug which is horrible), but the problems effectively mean that many aircraft are effectively invisible at night - which is a real shame.

Is there anything I can do to make the FAIB models compatible?

Edited by CharlieBravoUK

Intel i7 7700K @5.1Ghz, 32Gb DDR4, P3D v5.3 / MSFS running on Samsung 970evo plus Nvme SSD, Nvidia RTX2080ti

4 hours ago, CharlieBravoUK said:

So it leads me to expect the product to work with FLAI including FAIB models

Charlie,

FLAI changed their configuration suddenly and I reported to them many times this issue,, however they never fixed it! and then they decided to drop their support this year.. If you override all the FAIB FLAI models with the original FAIB configuration provide by the original FAIB modeler things will start to work as expected.

I think it would be easier if you switch to AIGM-OCI, they even have PBR models and you can configure VPILOT to have model matching against it. I will modify my website to remove FLAI / BVAI since they just drop their product support and it is imposible now for me to chase them to repair such issues.

S.

Hi Simbol,

Apologies for delay in responding - thanks for your input and pointers - I've actually spent today downloading loads of the AIG stuff and it seems to be working really well.

Thank you for your recommendations and I think this is the way forward.   I'm still think I need to find the "sweet spot" between aircraft showing up (particularly in the air - strobes/nav lights) and them looking unrealistic on the ground, but maybe that's about artistic interpretation!

And good idea about ammending the website to remove the FLAi reference now that it's (sadly) demised.   As it would seem that without the FLAi this is not so much of a problem.

Congratualations on all you do for the community

• Upvote 1

Hi Charlie,

Glad to hear you are getting the results you wish. I would advise to tweak your lights using the Preview mode. If you want them to look more or less intense on the ground use the Dynamic Light intensity slider to tweak. If you want them to be more / less visible in the air, use the texture size slider to tweak.

If you need anything else just let me know. I will close this ticket as it seems you got things resolved.

Regards,

S.

• Like 1