Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s

58 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

Don't forget most RAM is in pairs and having two sets of pairs is not as good as having one pair. So 64GB in one pair (2x32) is preferred over 64GB in two pairs (4x16) as it's easier to meet the ram specs with one pair. Using two pairs will usually affect how fast you can set up your RAM, often requiring you to set it less than it's rated for in order for the system, to be stable.

That depends on the cpu and system architecture. Thats no longer a hard and fast rule.

Refer to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UkGu6A-6sQ

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

So glad I built my rig with 64GB of RAM. I had a feeling things like this would happen. I went the extra mile for the benefit of having that piece of mind.

Edited by captain420
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Going from 16GB to 32GB of ram and using the XMP overclock definitely improved my MSFS performance.

MSFS is definitely the fastest loading sim I've ever experienced also, my setup loads both main menu and flight in under a minute each.

Not sure about 64GB though....this will be quite interesting to see.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

15 hours ago, David Roch said:

Very interested to get your feedback 😉

Me too, I have my credit card ready.

Please let us know Rivaldo 🙂

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

15 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

How do I accelerate the time? I’ve never used the function before. 

Look for decrease/increase sim rate and bind a key combination: 

attachment.php?attachmentid=221761&d=159

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

13 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Really curious to see how or if RAM speed(s) affects things beyond the amount of RAM installed

Depends a lot on whether you are Intel or AMD. The AMD processors are knobbled by slower ram and shine with fast ram.   Intel processors sort of do not really care that much.

LOL, 3090 owner, I went from 32gb DDR4 3200 to 64gb DDR4 3600...... and got lower FPS over London and 2020 uses exactly the same amount of CPU mem (15/64) and VRAM (8/24) 

save your money 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, kand said:

LOL, 3090 owner, I went from 32gb DDR4 3200 to 64gb DDR4 3600...... and got lower FPS over London and 2020 uses exactly the same amount of CPU mem (15/64) and VRAM (8/24) 

save your money 

Love you my buddy!
😄

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

40 minutes ago, kand said:

I went from 32gb DDR4 3200 to 64gb DDR4 3600...... and got lower FPS over London

sounds like a bios setting difference or something going on with the new RAM, no one should see performance reduction from increasing system memory, just doesnt make sense.

I can agree that you don't need 64GB RAM........right now...hehehe

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Brandon01110 said:

sounds like a bios setting difference or something going on with the new RAM, no one should see performance reduction from increasing system memory, just doesnt make sense.

I can agree that you don't need 64GB RAM........right now...hehehe

When I say lower, its marginal

Re BIOS- nope- its running the XMP profile @3600 , I have read before more memory means more work for the CPU 

I think the most ram I have seen being used was 22Gigs and that's with settings on ultra, so 32 should be fine.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I think some of you are missing the point here. Quoted from a very well respected developer:-

The 3090 ships with 24GB VRAM and if you fill it with buffer data or textures, you’ll certainly also duplicate a large amount of the VRAM buffers in RAM, and there you are: with 32GB RAM you probably really don’t have enough room to fit both the buffer data copy in RAM and the game working set!

Even though your memory might be sitting at 70 or 80% it has a huge windows page file going causing “Limited by main thread” 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The 3090 ships with 24GB VRAM and if you fill it with buffer data or textures, you’ll certainly also duplicate a large amount of the VRAM buffers in RAM,

I am not convinced that the "large amount" mentioned here adds up to anything significant. What exactly needs to be accessed that would force the game working set out of RAM... this all sounds like vaporware to me.. but am also interested in hearing your great results after adding another 32 GB to your system 😉

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am not convinced that the "large amount" mentioned here adds up to anything significant. What exactly needs to be accessed that would force the game working set out of RAM... this all sounds like vaporware to me.. but am also interested in hearing your great results after adding another 32 GB to your system 😉

Well using VR I have seen my 3090 up to 20GB of VRAM usage, so I am too also interested in the results. Its due to ship tomorrow, so no harm in trying and if it turns out to be beneficial, then it helps others too. 

• Upvote 1