Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Dedicated SSD or 32GB DDR4 Ram

What will give me more bang from buck (free).

MSFS is currently on my C drive (SSD) and I have 16GB of DDR ram. I can get either a 1TB SSD or another 16GB of ram for free... which should I grab to improve MSFS

Do bear in mind that the RAM modules must normally match the two you already have if your intending to add the extra 16 to make it 32Gb otherwise you could be in for some troubleshooting problems.

Improved loading times then a dedicated SSD.  Smoother performance then RAM.  I got an m.2 SSD which had an even faster transfer rate.  Also upgraded to 32 GB RAM, so I was greedy 🙂

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

23 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Improved loading times then a dedicated SSD.  Smoother performance then RAM.  I got an m.2 SSD which had an even faster transfer rate.  Also upgraded to 32 GB RAM, so I was greedy 🙂

Why do you think that a "dedicated" SSD improves loading time? The OS can be on the same unit, it barely makes any difference.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, cianpars said:

/\                                   /\

This is the way to go

Though I would have gone for the 64 GB of RAM.   We only come by this way once!  You can't take your money with you, so they say.  But maybe you can take your flight simulator.

LouP

If your current SSD has enough space on it, go for the RAM. Even a new M.2 SSD is not going to make a very noticeable difference in load times over a decent SSD. An old HDD is another story. M.2’s are super fast on paper but in reality, the difference is not that wow. I run both M.2 (Windows and apps) and conventional SSD dedicated to MSFS only.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor