Sign in to follow this  
zorro747

Upgraded motherboard, got worse... Any ideas?

Hello, colleagues!

My specs were as follows: Asus TUF gaming B460-Pro mother board, i5-10400F , RTX 3070. Played around with the different settings and finally got the smoothness I was satisfied with. The sim settings all ultra (all the 3 sliders set to 200). In light airports on A320NX was getting very smooth head movement (using TrackIR). But in custom airports the smoothness was a bit worse, especially in heavy airports, but still playable. 

I knew that my weak place in the specs was mother board. I decided to upgrade it. The idea was also to upgrade the proc when 11 gen is out. Finally got ASUS Prime Z590-P mother board.

But when I launched the sim in the light airport I noticed that the smoothness had gone... But before the upgrade everything was fine. 

To conclude the topic, after the  upgrade the sim runs worse than before. I don't understand why...  Do you have any ideas, guys?

Edited by zorro747

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

Maybe the sim is just building up its cache ... and will settle down after a few sessions <??>.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

you did do a BIOS upgrade and also installed latest drivers, either from ASUS or checking MS Update? New bus drivers could help. else, as mentioned above, dis- and re-enable local cache to empty it if you use it. plus you may revert in MSFS to default settings and then adjust to your liking/previous settings 

• Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, DAD said:

you did do a BIOS upgrade and also installed latest drivers, either from ASUS or checking MS Update? New bus drivers could help. else, as mentioned above, dis- and re-enable local cache to empty it if you use it. plus you may revert in MSFS to default settings and then adjust to your liking/previous settings 

a friend of mine is a computer guy. He installed the mother board. As far as I know he updated all the drivers.

Regarding the cache, it sounds interesting. Will try that out in the evening.  Thank you.

Different BIOS do treat the non-K processors differently.  Is it possible the new Z motherboard is enforcing the Intel TDP limit whereas the old one was not ?

You changed the motherboard?

DId you re-install windows, all drivers and the game? If not, do so. Changing basis hardware withouth reinstalling windows is never a recommendation. There could be any driver-conflicts or something else (from energy management to geforce drivers...) that is not running well.

Do a fresh install of the computer!

Second possibility: When you changed the motherboard, you had to take the CPU and its cooler off. Maybe its not well re-installed and it overheats and throttles down...check that.

Thats what i would check first. I build my (Gaming-)PCs since roughly 25 years by  myself.

Edited by Paladin2005
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

2 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Changing basis hardware withouth reinstalling windows is never a recommendation.

thank you, Paladin, for your comment. That is what I think to do, to reinstall Windows and everything else.

• Like 1

For that reason - never change a running system therfore allmost ever some issues will happen.

I also build my PC`s my self since around 1995 and i allways used Asus Motherboards and nothing other, for me the best choice on MB.

But changing sometthing in a existing System is allways some kind of critical so i wish you to get your Problem sorted out..

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Upvote 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, zorro747 said:

I knew that my weak place in the specs was mother board.

The motherboard has no influence on the gaming performance, unless you need more ram slots, a different socket CPU or some other feature, there's no need to upgrade it.
You didn't mention your RAM, but the weak spot in your configuration looks to be the graphics card, if you play above 1080 resolutions.

Edited by EmaRacing

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

15 hours ago, EmaRacing said:

The motherboard has no influence on the gaming performance, unless you need more ram slots, a different socket CPU or some other feature, there's no need to upgrade it.
You didn't mention your RAM, but the weak spot in your configuration looks to be the graphics card, if you play above 1080 resolutions.

Actually I wanted to upgrade my CPU and in this case the motherboard was the first one to be changed and later when the 11gen CPU is out to get i7-11700K. 

I have 32GB RAM and using fullHD monitor. 

10 hours ago, zorro747 said:

Actually I wanted to upgrade my CPU and in this case the motherboard was the first one to be changed and later when the 11gen CPU is out to get i7-11700K. 

I have 32GB RAM and using fullHD monitor. 

Why Intel though? It's been surpassed even in single thread performance.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

On 3/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, EmaRacing said:

Why Intel though? It's been surpassed even in single thread performance.

I don't know... Intels have a good reputation. But I've been their client since my first comp and will stick with intel for a while more 🙂 .