Sign in to follow this  
sotiris

Considering transition to P3D

As per the above subject, before I migrate to P3D I want to know some things about P3D folders construction.

That is, is it possible to use important (to me) folders and files of FSX within P3D, like bvcf.bgl, Traffic_xxx_.bgl,

AFD files modified with ADEX, scenery\world\texture files ?

In addition Digital Aviation F100-F70 and Level-D 767-300 ?

Running win10, Intel core i7-2600, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 280.

Sotiris Stavrakis

2 hours ago, sotiris said:

As per the above subject, before I migrate to P3D I want to know some things about P3D folders construction.

That is, is it possible to use important (to me) folders and files of FSX within P3D, like bvcf.bgl, Traffic_xxx_.bgl,

AFD files modified with ADEX, scenery\world\texture files ?

In addition Digital Aviation F100-F70 and Level-D 767-300 ?

Your PC does not meet the recommended specifications for P3D v4, let alone v5.

One of the main benefits of transitioning from FSX to P3D v4 is to avoid the 4GB virtual address space limitation that causes Out Of Memory Crashes To Desktop that are endemic to 32-bit programs like FSX and P3D v1, v2 and v3.

32-bit aircraft from FSX are not compatible with P3D's 64-bit architecture.

While there is some compatibility that allows FSX-era add-on scenery to be used in P3D, it is not guaranteed.
You would not want to copy across FSX scenery\world\texture files into P3D. While P3D is a similar flight sim to FSX, P3D has been updated and adding old FSX files will very likely cause errors and CTDs.

Two options for you: Either keep flight simming on your current PC with FSX, or upgrade your PC / buy a new one to work with any of the more recent flight sims that exist today.

• Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, sotiris said:

Um no. your processor and card are 10 years old, is it possible yes, do you want to no. the RX580 is considered low end for v5.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

One of the main benefits of transitioning from FSX to P3D v4 is to avoid the 4GB virtual address space limitation that causes Out Of Memory Crashes To Desktop that are endemic to 32-bit programs like FSX and P3D v1, v2 and v3.

Thanks for your reply.

Just for info, I haven't experienced any OOM CTD as my system is 64-bit one.

OK about specs, yet, no answer about : Is it possible to use important (to me) folders and files of FSX within P3D, like bvcf.bgl, Traffic_xxx_.bgl ?

Sotiris Stavrakis

@FPStewy

1 hour ago, FPStewy said:

is it possible yes, do you want to no

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

Sotiris Stavrakis

22 minutes ago, sotiris said:

@FPStewy

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

They are saying "No" to all your questions.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

32-bit aircraft from FSX are not compatible with P3D's 64-bit architecture.

Not quite correct: Only the simple default FSX aircraft are compatible, such as Cessna 172, but more complex add-on airplanes that were made for FSX/P3Dv3 are obviously not compatible with 64 bit.

7 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Only the simple default FSX aircraft are compatible, such as Cessna 172, ...

Who flies the FSX default aircrafts?

And who wants to port FSX default aicrafts to P3D?

😉

• Upvote 1

- TONY -

I use the Aircreation 582SL from FSX in P3D for low&slow scenery exploration. 😉

4 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

I use the Aircreation 582SL from FSX in P3D for low&slow scenery exploration. 😉

Smart 🙂

- TONY -

1 hour ago, sotiris said:

Just for info, I haven't experienced any OOM CTD as my system is 64-bit one.

FSX is 32 bit.. so your system being 64 bit does not provide protection.

Still, if you are not getting OOMs.. great!

i would agree with the previous posters.. with your system, stay with FSX!

• Upvote 2

Bert

56 minutes ago, Simicro said:

I do, every time I flight test a next RXP update! 😂

Which means nearly every time I fly Prepar3d nowadays.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

😉

1. That would be me.

2. Also me. And Russ, and a few of the other AVSIM guys. 🙂

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, Simicro said:

😉

Simicro,

I have to say that just because you do not want to do that, there may well be some simmers who actually do.  I am not one of them either.

However, whilst I believe what he wants may be possible, and I stress, MAY, I cannot see any benefits to it at all, As has already been mentioned, very little of FSX is compatible with 64bit P3D. 

As mentioned before, too, the OP system is not that great for P3D v4 or v5 either.  I did run v4 on an i7 2600k but I had that married to a GTX1080ti. It was mediocre at best, with sliders way to far left. It did however work and I was very happy with it only because I was flying FS2004 mostly and the system did that very very well.  When I upgraded to AMD I kept my old computer (replacing the GTX1080ti with a Zotac GTX1050ti and used it as a networked computer for things like Little Nav Map and WX programmes etc which reduced the drain on my main flight computer.  Worked a treat I have to say.

For the OP though, I think you may well be pushing the proverbial up a very steep hill. As a minumum, I would suggest an upgraded GPU (if you can find one)  before you transition to P3D v4 

Regards

Tony  

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

OK gents, thanks to all for your input.

One last and specific question : The file bvcf.bgl of FSX which controls global FIR sector frequencies (scenery\world\scenery) can be used on P3Dv5 ?

Sotiris Stavrakis