Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Nvidia Audio Drivers and RealTeck High Definition Audio

I have a question concerning the Nvidia audio driver and the Realteck audio driver. I've noticed that when I download and install a graphics driver from Nvidia, it also comes with the Nvidia audio driver, and I never understood why an audio driver would come with a graphics driver download. I already have the Realteck audio driver on my computer. So, my question is that will these 2 audio drivers cause a conflict? Or is the Nvidia audio dirver a separate audio driver that has nothing to do with how Realteck works? I was wondering if I need only one or the other.

Ken.

I'm not sure, but here's my guess - to support audio speakers in your monitor via the HDMI or display ports in your video card.  Following to see if I'm right!

• Like 3

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Gridley is correct in terms of why Nvidia includes that audio driver. I have both installed now with no conflicts. I ran without the Nvidia driver for some time (by selecting Custom Install when updating or adding a video driver.)  

You'll need to select which audio driver to use if you have both installed. This is done by clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar and selecting the driver you want to use.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Okay, I see now. But I'm using the regular audio output and it's the Realteck High Definition Audio. But in the Sounds Properties window, it lists 4 Nvidia High Definition Audio, and they all say the same thing, so why are there 4 of them listed? I'm think about switching to the Nvidia High Definition Audio driver since it's a much later driver than the Realteck. The Realteck is very old and it days back to 2015. But I guess I could check and see if there's an updated Realteck driver.

Ken.

I turn it off in control panel under devices.  I don't use it, so no need installing.  Over the years having it installed has been linked to things like mouse stutters and/or various performance issues.  Probably fine to leave on, but I'd rather not since I don't use it. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

26 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I turn it off in control panel under devices.  I don't use it, so no need installing.  Over the years having it installed has been linked to things like mouse stutters and/or various performance issues.  Probably fine to leave on, but I'd rather not since I don't use it. 

You're not specifying what audio driver, or drivers you're referring to. You're using the word it. 

Edited by kmanning

52 minutes ago, kmanning said:

You're not specifying what audio driver, or drivers you're referring to. You're using the word it. 

sorry for being unclear.  I disable any audio device from nvidia and just have the realtek only.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 3/1/2021 at 3:49 PM, kmanning said:

I have a question concerning the Nvidia audio driver and the Realteck audio driver. I've noticed that when I download and install a graphics driver from Nvidia, it also comes with the Nvidia audio driver, and I never understood why an audio driver would come with a graphics driver download. I already have the Realteck audio driver on my computer. So, my question is that will these 2 audio drivers cause a conflict? Or is the Nvidia audio dirver a separate audio driver that has nothing to do with how Realteck works? I was wondering if I need only one or the other.

Ken.

Anytime I update Nvidia video driver I do a custom install and deselect the audio driver because I never use my monitor speakers.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

3 hours ago, somiller said:

Anytime I update Nvidia video driver I do a custom install and deselect the audio driver because I never use my monitor speakers.

Are are saying that the Nvidia audio driver is for monitor speakers only? I didn't think it made any difference what speakers are used. From what I understand now, the Nvidia audio driver is a software audio driver just like the Realteck audio driver. You just select the driver you want and disable or turn off the other driver.

Ken.

Ken,

I had just assumed the Nvidia audio drivers were for video card audio to monitor, so I don't install them. In any case I don't need duplicate drivers for audio.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

The Nvidia Audio Driver is only for if you require sound through your HDMI port.

If you use a sound card or on-board sound its not an issue.  I've never had any issues with it being installed. If your speakers are plugged into your motherboard or soundcard ignore the Nvidia Audio driver. 

The Nvidia driver saves having to have additional audio cables plugged into your monitor. 

There shouldn't be any need to uninstall it or "turn it off". You shouldn't experience any issues with it installed. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

The Nvidia Audio Driver is only for if you require sound through your HDMI port.

If you use a sound card or on-board sound its not an issue.  I've never had any issues with it being installed. If your speakers are plugged into your motherboard or soundcard ignore the Nvidia Audio driver. 

The Nvidia driver saves having to have additional audio cables plugged into your monitor. 

There shouldn't be any need to uninstall it or "turn it off". You shouldn't experience any issues with it installed. 

not saying it will affect everybody but mouse lag has been well documented in regards to having the nvidia audio drivers installed.  So some people in fact do have issues. 

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

not saying it will affect everybody but mouse lag has been well documented in regards to having the nvidia audio drivers installed.  So some people in fact do have issues. 

I know, stutters as well, but what I saw some time ago, was pure speculation.

If its definitively proven... then first update Realtek driver and Nvidia drivers, and if that doesn't work obviously uninstall it. Even if there is a "well documented issue" for the vast majority it wont be an issue. And  Realtek and Nvidia should have dealt with the issue by now. Uninstalling the driver "just in case" is a choice, an unnecessary one. 

Edited by martin-w

I’m sorry you weren’t sold. Many experts absolutely said in the right combo this was responsible for mouse stutters. Going to device manager right clicking disable on something you aren’t using anyway is hardly problematic 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I’m sorry you weren’t sold. Many experts absolutely said in the right combo this was responsible for mouse stutters. Going to device manager right clicking disable on something you aren’t using anyway is hardly problematic 

Absolutely accurate.  Open sound control panel, right click what you're not using, select disable, restart PC.  If you need it again for some reason, just repeat and reverse the process.  In my experience, disable is just as good as uninstall, but much faster to reverse.

• Like 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)