Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Musicals...

Having grown up in the SF Sunset with a  connection to Colma and Daly City, I did enjoy Colma: The Musical. Although I'm not really a fan of musicals in general.

Funny, I never considered The Blues Brothers to be a musical, but I guess it is. I really love that movie. I also loved Oklahoma when I saw it, so maybe I do like musicals. I'll gladly try out some of the classics mentioned on here.

Even some of the modern (so called) musicals are worthy of consideration

• Bye Bye Birdie  (Bobby Rydell and Ann Margaret)
  • The Music Man  (76 Trombones....Robert Preston)

4 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

Having grown up in the SF Sunset with a  connection to Colma and Daly City, I did enjoy Colma: The Musical. Although I'm not really a fan of musicals in general.

Ya know, "It's Great to be Alive, in Colma"! 

Someone, earlier, mentioned Clooney.  I know, Rosemary but how about George?? "Oh, Brother, where art thou?"  Great songs in that one!

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 hours ago, charliearon said:

Ya know, "It's Great to be Alive, in Colma"! 

Someone, earlier, mentioned Clooney.  I know, Rosemary but how about George?? "Oh, Brother, where art thou?"  Great songs in that one!

Hey Charlie:Oh Brother Where Art Thou? I'm not a bluegrass, or certain folk song fan by any means, but I'll Fly Away  by The Kossoy Sisters floored me.Blues Brothers, Rocky Horror Picture Show i've seen.This topic brings back bad memories of my childhood in elementary school with Mary Poppins, and a couple of others.We were forced to sing the Poppins songs so many times, i avoided the movie. It was like drilling into case hardened steel. And because of this i avoid musicals as much as possible.Talk about getting brain damage LOL!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca

This is my favorite song from Oh, Brother!  "Go to Sleep, Little Baby"!

O-Brother-Where-Art-Thou-Sirens.png

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

For me, I draw a distinction between stage musicals that are filmed and the big production musicals of the 40s and 50s.  Then there's the older movies that Busby Berkeley did that were innovative in their own right.

scott s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scott967 said:

For me, I draw a distinction between stage musicals that are filmed and the big production musicals of the 40s and 50s.  Then there's the older movies that Busby Berkeley did that were innovative in their own right.

scott s. Wow Scott: Never heard of the man until i looked him up.He was brilliant  with the old choreographs in the movies.Thanks.!!!!.

Edited by charliearon
fixed quote

On 3/4/2021 at 3:34 PM, birdguy said:

Yes that is the DC-3 Airways livery Javiz.  My favorite DC-3 livery.

Thanks Noel, brings back nice memories. Maam-Sim boss Bill Rambow and me were a bit involved with the realisation of DC-3 Airways. Charlie asked me to design the livery. Done the same for Rainer Labie's Tradewind Caribbean Airlines (TCA). Great fun, those were the days ! 😎 

Cheers,
Jan

Jan

Zombie movies seem to be pretty popular these days.  I wonder how a zombie musical would play out.  A chorus line of tap dancing zombies backing up a pair of ballroom dancing zombies..  You call it the 'The Dancing Dead."

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:47 AM, W2DR said:

I saw Riverdance live - three times. Being Irish I guess I'm biased but it will forever be remembered

As a kid who grew up in Ireland during the 50s and 60s, Irish step dancing was one of the most boring and unexciting things you could watch - dancers with glum faces and the girls holding their hands stiff by their sides so that there was no chance of their skirts riding up above their knees, undoubtedly reflecting the sexually repressive influence of an all-powerful (but subsequently proven to be grossly hypocritical) church in the Ireland of that era. As a result, as a kid, Irish dancing was about the last thing I wanted to look at or take part in!

So years later (in 1996 I think) when I was watching the Eurovision Song Contest where Riverdance premiered, and the presenter announced that the interval act was going to be Irish dancing my thought was what sort of boring rubbish are they going to come up with now! However, like others, I was mesmerised by the performance, which only lasted about 3 or 4 minutes, but which was nothing like any Irish dancing I had ever seen before. Although I always thought Flatley was a bit too self-opinionated, to his credit he truly dragged Irish dancing out of those dark repressive ages into the modern era and gave it a new life making it intense and appealing without losing its traditional uniqueness. As a result, unlike when I was a kid, Irish step dancing and Irish traditional music generally has achieved a sort of ‘cool’ status amongst many modern day Irish kids!

As for proper musicals though, the Sounds of Music gets my vote!

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

Zombie movies seem to be pretty popular these days.  I wonder how a zombie musical would play out.  A chorus line of tap dancing zombies backing up a pair of ballroom dancing zombies..  You call it the 'The Dancing Dead."

Noel

AARRGGHH !! Brainz !

Cant stand em! If there are no quantum field coils, warp drives, space stations and aliens... I'm not interested. 😃 And no, I don't want them to sing either.

Modern musicals are a joke, like that dreadful Les Misérables. The one where there are zero rhyming couplets and they just try to make non rhyming dialogue sound like singing. YUK! Embarrassing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

like that dreadful Les Misérables. The one where there are zero rhyming couplets and they just try to make non rhyming dialogue sound like singing. YUK! Embarrassing!

Holding a similar view, in my home I am in a minority of one as my wife and daughters will watch that over and over again at every opportunity! Another musical in similar vein appears to be Hamilton which I was persuaded to watch one evening by my younger daughter because of my interest in history but, my goodness, that irritating dialogue-singing seemed to go on forever!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

Holding a similar view, in my home I am in a minority of one as my wife and daughters will watch that over and over again at every opportunity! Another musical in similar vein appears to be Hamilton which I was persuaded to watch one evening by my younger daughter because of my interest in history but, my goodness, that irritating dialogue-singing seemed to go on forever!

Bill

I'm with you Bill. Next time I visit the fish and chip shop I'm going to place my order as if I'm singing. In fact, Ive just tried singing that last sentence, it sounded just like that garbage film. 

It will be something like... "a large portion of chips and a chicken and mushroom pie please, and a pot of curry sauce". 

We should do it everywhere. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

I liked Les Misérables and Annie.  Didn't see Hamilton.  But I also like warp drives, space stations and aliens and watch Star Trek NG reruns a lot.  

Also battleships, carriers, B-17s, Mustangs, F-86s, Tanks and infantrymen like Torah, Torah, Torah, The Battle of Midway, The battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far, The Bridges at Toko Ri and The Big Red 1.

And anti-war movies like the M*A*S*H series.

And crime show like Saturday Night Noir on TCM and Law and Order series. 

I guess my simple mind is easy to entertain.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.