Sign in to follow this  
picnic

Missing Aircraft with X-Plane and Little Nav Map

Several x-plane users in our flight sim group have been reporting they don't see all the multi-player aircraft on Little Nav Map. As a result I did some experimenting the other evening.

As far as I could tell all the multiplayer aircraft could be seen in X-Plane but one was always missing in Little Nav Map. It's always the last connection that was missing. So if player 2 left and rejoined you wouldn't see them upon reconnection but you'd now see the previous player you couldn't see before.

Sadly I have no way of knowing if this is a joinFS issue or a Little Nav Map one. What can be done to try and resolve this please?

Posted over at the joinFS forum as well.

LNM reads the usual multiplayer datarefs "sim/multiplayer/position/plane..." which are limited to 19 AI aircraft. You can look at these with the dataref editor to check what's going on there. The first aircraft is always excluded in the list of 20 since this is the user aircraft. I don't know if this can cause the issue or if it is a problem with joinFS.

I plan to support the new X-Plane TCAS interface in a future version of LNM which allows more aircraft. No idea if joinFS uses this.

Alex

So it appears joinFS is already using the new TCAS interface.

That is interesting. I am no longer using the "sim/multiplayer/position" datarefs, but the "sim/cockpit2/tcas/targets/" instead, which I think Alex might be referring to in that last sentence. So I suppose the question is, why are you seeing any aircraft at all. Unless X-Plane is filling in those multiplayer datarefs from the TCAS information?

I'm more confused than ever now.

1 hour ago, picnic said:

So it appears joinFS is already using the new TCAS interface.

Very good. It's not implemented yet in LNM but will come with one of the next small updates.

Hi Alex,

I'm part of the same group as Peter and have been looking into the missing aircraft in LNM. I've spend a little while troubleshooting over the past few days and the pointers are that the issue may rest in LNM...

First step was using JoinFS. I looked at all the datarefs, and X-Plane is doing what's necessary to copy the data injected into the new TCAS interface to the datarefs that you're using. Sure enough there's an online plane missing from the LNM map display. However, the "AI / Multiplayer" tab on the "Simulator Aircraft" window of LNM shows the correct number of other aircraft in the "1 of n" text, but there is one fewer AI aircraft icon displayed on the map. When I click on each of those aircraft icons in turn, the numbers below the "1 of n" text next to the "Number:" label range from 3 to n+1 depending on the aircraft I click on.

Next, I took JoinFS out of the equation and used Traffic Global to inject traffic into the simulator. Had to turn the traffic density down to get a countable number of aircraft, but the same behaviour was seen with this as with JoinFS. Correct number of other aircraft in the "1 of n" text; one fewer displayed on the map; numbers from 3 to n+1 when clicking on the aircraft. Probably important to note that Traffic Global injects traffic using the new TCAS interface too.

Finally, I disabled all add-ins and just used X-Plane native AI aircraft - enabling 5 of them. This time, I could see five displayed on the map. The "1 of n" text however showed "1 of 6". Clicking on the aircraft didn't help as they all had registrations rather than object numbers as identifiers.

I've managed to compile LNM from scratch and am seeing if I can work it out - no joy yet. I'm struggling to build a version of Little XpConnect that works as ideally I'd start my search there. I guess I'm sort of hoping that you might know just where to look to see if this is a problem in the LNM code though!

Hope this helps - or looking forward to the LNM version that uses the TCAS traffic datarefs. Either way, your program is great and an invaluable addition to my Flight Simulator experience.

@jarangmandi  Thank you for the feedback. I tried X-Plane with AI up to the maximum of 19 (position 0 is always the user aircraft) again and see no missing aircraft on the map. The count given might be wrong because it still adds the two possible X-Plane ships (despite AI ships disabled). These two are the carrier and the frigate.

The TCAS interface has to be filled by JoinFS. X-Plane does not do this as far as I understood. I'll try traffic global too when implementing the new interface.

I'll have a look at the Xpconnect code again but I'd not waste much time with the old interface. I'd rather concentrate on the TCAS implementation.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Probably because I am a first Time user , I thought this thread would help me Place my C402C  or C172M on the LNM Departing Airport , but it doesent.  It works fine for me in MS20 but No Aiplane in XP11.  Have reloaded from scratch several times.   Sim and Base Path seem to be ok.... I must be doing something wrong..... have followed Tutorials over and over....would really like to solve this.... thanks

WVSF-VFR

22 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

I thought this thread would help me Place my C402C  or C172M on the LNM Departing Airport , but it doesent.

You have to place your aircraft at the departure airport using the X-Plane interface and then load the plan into GPS or FMS. X-Plane does not support this like FSX, P3D or MSFS.

22 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

It works fine for me in MS20 but No Aiplane in XP11.

Not sure if I understand. Can you see your aircraft on the map? Did you install the Xpconnect plugin in X-Plane?

Alex

Ok beginning to sink in now... I normaly load Flight Plans from Sky Vector into X Plane 11 FMS using X Plane Tools.  That may be the Problem.  Will Try that. Yes I did install Xpconnect but I seem to be having a problem with the error message asking for the Globe Elevation..... Not sure what to do with file with all the tiles?  I really only need the USA  like E  and F

Mike 

13 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

Yes I did install Xpconnect but I seem to be having a problem with the error message asking for the Globe Elevation.....

This is not an error message but a hint to get better data. It has nothing to do with Xpconnect.

13 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

Not sure what to do with file with all the tiles?  I really only need the USA  like E  and F

It's only 1.8 GB and 17 files. You can also click "Do not show again" in the dialog window and leave it as it is, i.e. use the online elevation data. Note that the online elevation data ends up 60° North.

You can also download just the files you need, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Alex

4 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

Have Open Log File Saved but cant figure out how to post it here for you to examine.  Thank You 

Best way is to send it per email:  https://albar965.github.io/contact.html

Did you install Little Xpconnect and can you see it in the X-Plane Plugin Manager?

Alex

Alex...Sorry But Im going around in circles..... Can not find your email to send open Log file.... Once I can send this I think you will be able to solve my issue.  Can you email me directly at      REMOVED EMAIL TO AVOID SPAM   The Github thing is not working for me somehow....I am really looking forward to see what I am doing wrong....Many thanks

Mike Austin

WVSF-VFR

Spanish Fort, Alabama ,USA

Edited by albar965
Remove email to avoid spam

9 hours ago, WVSF-VFR said:

Can not find your email to send open Log file

I posted the link above. but will send you an email anyway.

By the way: I removed your email from the post to prevent it from being collected by spammers.

Alex