Sign in to follow this  
Mwk208

Climb Rate Adjustments in Bonanza G36

I've been tinkering with the flight_model.cfg file for the Bonanza and have successfully reduced flaps drag for a more realistic flying experience (as advised by a real pilot). However, I'm a novice at making changes to the flight dynamics and one thing I'd like to change now is climb rate. I'm able to climb at 1500-1600 FPM at sea level at 105 KIAS (3100 LBS, flaps up, gear up, 28 manifold pressure, 25 degrees Celsius OAT). According to the performance chart, my rate of climb should be closer to 1200 FPM in this scenario. I'm having a hard time determining what to adjust to fix the climb rate without changing the cruise performance. Hopefully someone here can help. 

It's a tough balance and it's very possible that climb rate is the parameter that just "is what it is", because as you said anything you change there (drag or engine output) is likely to upset cruise.

You might check out the G36 Improvement mod which has also been tuned by some folks with real world G36 experience - https://flightsim.to/file/1056/g36-improvement-project

• Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

37 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

It's a tough balance and it's very possible that climb rate is the parameter that just "is what it is", because as you said anything you change there (drag or engine output) is likely to upset cruise.

You might check out the G36 Improvement mod which has also been tuned by some folks with real world G36 experience - https://flightsim.to/file/1056/g36-improvement-project

That’s a brilliant mod, used it for months now. 

• Like 1

HI @Mwk208. I'm looking at a G36 climb chart (published 2012).  Using your scenario of 25 C at sea level and 3100 lbs, I'm seeing climb rate of 1500-1600 fpm. It is a little bit of an interpolation as the line for that given scenario extends beyond the top of the chart. Try the same scenario but at 3600 lbs and see if that gives you closer to 1200 fpm in the sim.  If it does, that climb performance may be just about right. 

Chris

Thank you. I downloaded the mod and it does seem to have more realistic climb performance. However, now my manifold pressure doesn't show up. It shows "NaN." Do you have that issue? 

1 minute ago, snglecoil said:

HI @Mwk208. I'm looking at a G36 climb chart (published 2012).  Using your scenario of 25 C at sea level and 3100 lbs, I'm seeing climb rate of 1500-1600 fpm. It is a little bit of an interpolation as the line for that given scenario extends beyond the top of the chart. Try the same scenario but at 3600 lbs and see if that gives you closer to 1200 fpm in the sim.  If it does, that climb performance may be just about right. 

Thank you. Can you share where you found that chart? I had a hard time finding the chart. I suppose it's possible mine is incorrect. 

48 minutes ago, Mwk208 said:

Thank you. Can you share where you found that chart? I had a hard time finding the chart. I suppose it's possible mine is incorrect. 

PM sent

Chris

52 minutes ago, Mwk208 said:

Thank you. I downloaded the mod and it does seem to have more realistic climb performance. However, now my manifold pressure doesn't show up. It shows "NaN." Do you have that issue? 

Yes. Make sure you also have the g1000 mod, and make sure they’re in the right order in your community folder. 

17 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

PM sent

sure enough, you're right. My chart is wrong. Thank you

• Like 1

Robert Young mod is what you need

Thomas Derbyshire

10 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Robert Young mod is what you need

If the OP is trying to match performance with the naturally aspirated G36, then the Improvement mod is probably closer to what they want. 

Robert's Turbo mod has higher climb performance and that's what I unusually fly 😉

1 hour ago, Mwk208 said:

You'll want to install the Working Title G1000 as well, it has added engine pages that hook into the G36 Improvement mod.

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

43 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

PM sent

Update: Testing against the chart you provided is better but still not accurate. I loaded the aircraft to 3600 pounds and was able to climb out at 1400 FPM under the same conditions. According to the chart, I should be around 1100 FPM.  I will try the referenced mods

50 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yes. Make sure you also have the g1000 mod, and make sure they’re in the right order in your community folder. 

Can you link me to the G1000 mod? The G36 mod provides a link but it only shows the G3000 mod. 

14 minutes ago, Mwk208 said:

Update: Testing against the chart you provided is better but still not accurate. I loaded the aircraft to 3600 pounds and was able to climb out at 1400 FPM under the same conditions. According to the chart, I should be around 1100 FPM.  I will try the referenced mods

It doesn't surprise me. I haven't used the Bonanza extensively but Baron's performance is similar. Both seem a wee bit...um...optimistic.

• Like 1

Chris