Sign in to follow this  
Elvensmith

Captain (Sim) 757 - Just Flight Issue With Data Saving

I recently installed this into FSX-SE off the Just Flight DVD.

After setting up the cockpit, aligning the IRS and checking the flight plan from FSX had been imported to the FMC (I think they call it MDU) I had to save the game and come off.

When I reloaded later, I found the panel had reverted to its raw state - the IRS wasn't aligned and the flight plan had vanished from the FMC.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, is there a workaround?

Mind I have encountered a similar issue with the Level D 767 where the FMC drops the plan so wonder if it's more a wider FSX on modern OS/hardware general issue than aircraft specific.

If there's no fix, guess I'll just have to wait for Captain Sim or Just Flight to release a version for MSFS(20).

Edited by Elvensmith

No one?

Guess FSX really is dead then, certainly for study level stuff.

Well I did pick up one suggestion on Reddit (I think) that something with how the launcher works on Win 10 is stopping flights from restoring with the panel/FMC data intact and a solution was to execute the sim by running the FSSAVE file.

Sadly that didn't work either.

Don't feel alone. I have repeatedly asked basic questions about MSFS 2020 never to receive a response. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Les Parson said:

Don't feel alone. I have repeatedly asked basic questions about MSFS 2020 never to receive a response. 

You could try asking MSF2020 questions on the MSFS2020 forum! This is the FSX forum. You should also understand this is "self-help" - nobody is obliged to respond.

Elevensmith - many advanced aircraft use special features that are not built into FSX and if FSX doesn't understand them, it can't save the configuration. This is the case with any version of FS so there is no certainty you wouldn't have the same or similar problems in the new 2020.

It is a trade-off between extra realism and convenience.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Well Just Flight marketed their version of the Captain Sim 757 for FSX, in fact the installer gives you a choice between the FS9 or FSX version of which I chose the latter.

It certainly worked okay years ago when the add-on first came out, something like 2009 - can't recall what version of Windows I was running then, probably XP, so I have to conclude it is maybe down to some obscure file protection algorithm in Win 10 that prevents the game overwriting wherever the full panel state is saved. The other outside possibility is that Dovetail made some procedural changes when cobbling together the SE, but checking that theory would involve a complete uninstall of the Steam edition, the file and registry purges that go with it, to then reinstall the original boxed version.

Edited by Elvensmith

11 hours ago, John Hinson said:

You could try asking MSF2020 questions on the MSFS2020 forum! This is the FSX forum. You should also understand this is "self-help" - nobody is obliged to respond.

Of course I did use the appropriate forum for the specific question. And, of course nobody is obligated to respond.  It's called courtesy. 

12 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

It certainly worked okay years ago when the add-on first came out, something like 2009 - can't recall what version of Windows I was running then, probably XP, so I have to conclude it is maybe down to some obscure file protection algorithm in Win 10 that prevents the game overwriting wherever the full panel state is saved. The other outside possibility is that Dovetail made some procedural changes when cobbling together the SE, but checking that theory would involve a complete uninstall of the Steam edition, the file and registry purges that go with it, to then reinstall the original boxed version.

OK, fair enough. You may be touching on the truth here, although its not necessarily Dovetail's fault.

Some configurations for add-ons configure themseleves into an FSX file which may be differently-named according to whether you have previously had a version of FSX on your machine. I assume this is still done for the benfit of those that have both versions installed simultaneously. So sometimes certain configurations are not seen by SE because they are in the wrong place.

I don't know this specific product so it would be wrong to offer any specific instructions but it may be worth checking out files named dll.xml which may be found in C:\Users\[name]\Appdata\Romaing\Microsoft\FSX or C:\Users\[name]\Appdata\Romaing\Microsoft\FSX-SE (or a similar location according to operating system) and comparing them.

At the end of the day, it may be unfixable - if you look at https://www.justflight.com/searchresults?category=products&query=757 some products say compatible with FSX and others say FSX,FSXSE. However, such reservations are often through the complications mentioned above and the failure of the developer to compensate for them. It doesn't necessarily mean they can't be manually fixed.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Well I have decided to go for the uninstall option and put the original boxed version back on, see if that brings a positive result.