Sign in to follow this  

Unfortunately things will probably be worse at first until they get better with a whole new set of settings and configuration tweaks.....

Edited by marcg11
spelling

1 minute ago, marcg11 said:

Unfortunately things will probably be worse at first until they get better with a whole new set of settings and configuration tweaks.....

This and the fact that you will need more VRAM (if you have 8GB or less) for optimal performance and to prevent possible bottlenecks when you run out of VRAM and the sim has to switch back to using system RAM...

• Like 1

Chris Camp

18 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Has anyone in the know said how much better the fps will be after we get DX12?

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: They (Sebastian, Jörg) explicitly told us not to expect fps gains from switching to DX12, they're doing it mostly for the additional features and for porting MSFS to Xbox. 

So there isn't much encouragement from the official side, however, I do suspect we're going to see performance improvements over time. In one of the last developer Q&A live videos Seb told us how the found a way to optimise tree rendering performance, which eventually led to an fps increase of about 20%, and they keep finding ways to keep optimising it. 

This adds up, over time they're going to find more things to improve, and they pointed out it's a priority for them, as both Xbox and VR require further performance gains.

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 8

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

If my memory serves me well, they say that it won't help much FPS-wise but would allow new effects like ray-tracing.

Knowing how painful the DX12 delivery was for P3Dv5 and the now proven ability of the MFS team to bring bugs where none existed, being in the strong urge of having DX12 in the sim is , IMO, akin to masochism.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

This and the fact that you will need more VRAM (if you have 8GB or less) for optimal performance and to prevent possible bottlenecks when you run out of VRAM and the sim has to switch back to using system RAM...

I'm only running in 1080P on my Sony big screen TV.  Don't think that will effect my experience.

I can see VRS, Variable Mesh  shading, DLSS, DirectStorage or SuperML makes a difference in the end user experience with DX12.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Does anyone remember the hype when DX10 was announced to replace DX9 with FSX all them years ago. Lots of excitement with better graphics and smoother frame rates. Then there was that infamous amazing water effects shot  promised with DX10, that never quite materialised. Did it ever materialise as a massive improvement? 

Having come back to flight simming after many years out, is it history repeating itself?. I’m curious too see if the newer DX12 will significantly  improve MSFS2020 because it already looks fantastic. 😎😎

Watching their dev update video, they said we will see performance improvements. They say it’s not specifically due to DX12, but more due to improvements to the sim. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

37 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

Watching their dev update video, they said we will see performance improvements. They say it’s not specifically due to DX12, but more due to improvements to the sim. 

I recall this as well.  They mentioned eventually the want the sim to be GPU limited.

• Like 1

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

Just now, ANCRM114 said:

I recall this as well.  They mentioned eventually the want the sim to be GPU limited.

that's a very tall order. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I'm expecting better trees and better clouds in the short term.  Anything else will, I think be a bit of a bonus.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

Exactly 3.1415926535897 times better

Farlis,

This is simply and totally incorrect. The correct figure is exactly 3.1415926535896. How many times have you been told or advised not to exaggerate. LOL

Tony

• Like 5

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Will DX12 be mandatory, or will we have an option to continue using DX11 in case we don't have a super-duper video card with endless amounts of VRAM?

Edited by Afterburner
  • Like 1