Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Core i7-11700K Review: Disappointing gaming performance

AnandTech already have a review of the i7-11700K up, using a retail model not bound by NDA.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake

Despite the claimed 19% IPC uplift, gaming performance on Rocket Lake is deeply disappointing, losing to Comet Lake and even to Coffee Lake in some cases.

121935.png121947.png

121955.png121963.png

121995.png122003.png

It also consumes up to double the power of the 5800X, while not performing as well.

121878.png

The reason for these regressions seems to be the increased L3 cache latency, probably due to the difficulties of backporting Sunny Cove to the 14nm process, and with just 16MB of cache (compared to Vermeer's 32MB), the situation is not helped at all. Unless BIOS revisions improve performance (and it is unlikely at this point), Rocket Lake is only good for AVX-512 performance, and not for gaming.

For anyone looking to build a gaming PC, it's probably best to stick with what we have now. Some CPUs like the i7-9700F, i5-10400F and i9-10850K are selling at very good prices right now, and 5600X/5800X stock is improving rapidly. It is probably best not to expect that AMD will release successors to the 3600 and 3700X since Rocket Lake will probably fail to be competitive. This is Intel's Bulldozer moment.

• Like 1

Wow that's actually quite bad. Why would it be slower than last gen? Could an updated BIOS help in this case?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I find this interesting as I’m in the process of deciding on a new build. I’m coming from an 8086k at 5.1 and a 6700k before that...I’ve always been intel. But it does seem that AMD is a fair compeditor.

I understand traditionally a lot of us went with intel for the higher single core clock speeds with P3D being more single that multi threaded....but does that still hold true? And what of MSFS - would the current top end AMD actually be a better offering?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Now let's see the 11900k. That was were the 19% improvement was, I recall. 

Don't recall it was across the entire series. 

I believe an OC to 5.0 on any intel i7 (9000 series and above) or i9 would be almost as good as the new zen 3 AMD's that are non ok'd.  Flight sim 2020 does still need high single core performance but is diminishing returns from higher than 6-8 cores until dx 12 implementation hopefully.  Hyper threading etc is not fully used.  Se attached.rho8-Nktth-J4i-Xaa-Ly-UZMa-D-970-80.pngtwtk-campaign-1080.jpg

Edited by simon747

Simon

The other problem with this chip is the heat and power consumption.  Off the charts. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Yes, the latency issue  is more pronounced in gaming benchmarks.  I read that because the rocket lake architecture was designed for 10nm and intel went 14nm with the 11 series, the PCB tracers are longer and increasing L3 and core to core latency.  The next CPU cycle if on 10nm may have better gaming results.

Edited by simon747

Simon

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

Now let's see the 11900k. That was were the 19% improvement was, I recall. 

Don't recall it was across the entire series. 

you never see the 19% and the 10900k oc 100-200mhz higher all core

Edited by westman
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, simon747 said:

The next CPU cycle if on 10nm may have better gaming results.

With Intel, that's a very big if. In a few years I'd love to hear the full post-mortem on why they were stuck at 14nm for so long.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

8 hours ago, Luke said:

With Intel, that's a very big if. In a few years I'd love to hear the full post-mortem on why they were stuck at 14nm for so long.

Cheers!

Yes, a bit strange we have been stuck on the same relative single core performance, in gaming at least, and max clock speed for quite a bit now.  Thought the 11 series would change that. 😯

Edited by simon747

Simon

On 3/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, Republic3D said:

Wow that's actually quite bad. Why would it be slower than last gen? Could an updated BIOS help in this case?

I think we have to be careful. So far there are a limited number in the wild. When we have a larger sample to look at we will get a better picture. 

I'm reserving judgement at this point. Performance improvements are common with BIOS updates, so... maybe, to a degree. 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:29 PM, micstatic said:

The other problem with this chip is the heat and power consumption.  Off the charts. 

The 11 series is pretty much pre-overclocked out of the box it seems to me, so not surprising. Intel panicking and attempting to compete with AMD. 

13 hours ago, Luke said:

Cheers!

Its claimed that because Intel own and operate their own fabs, it generates challenges that are unique to them. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/what-went-wrong-intel/