Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Core i7-11700K Review: Disappointing gaming performance

So at the current time, why wouldn’t I buy the Ryzen 5900X for my flightsim rig... instead of the 10 or 11 series? Other than my 3600 C16 RAM might need underclocked or replaced....

all benchmarks seem to put it at the top of the heap.

Edited by KL Oo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

9 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

So at the current time, why wouldn’t I buy the Ryzen 5900X for my flightsim rig... instead of the 10 or 11 series? Other than my 3600 C16 RAM might need underclocked or replaced....

you not need to replace the mems 3600 c16 is perfect you can run them c15 on the 5900X

i run 4x8 3800 c16 sync 1900 on my 5950X

1 hour ago, KL Oo said:

Because AMD has their own fire that they need to put out with the intermittent USB dropouts and slightly spotty (although not in my case) Agesa updates. Mind you Its more of a teething issue than a performance issue (my flightsim rig uses the 5900x) but its there for some users nonetheless. I would like to see more Rocket lake reviews when the chip is actually authorized to sell to get the full picture though but as it stands that review did intel no favors.

Additionally your ram if im reading that as DDR4 @3600 cas 16 is at AMD's  Infinity fabric sweet spot. Nothing to do there at all 

Edited by Maxis
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

8 hours ago, Maxis said:

Because AMD has their own fire that they need to put out with the intermittent USB dropouts and slightly spotty (although not in my case) Agesa updates. Mind you Its more of a teething issue than a performance issue (my flightsim rig uses the 5900x) but its there for some users nonetheless. I would like to see more Rocket lake reviews when the chip is actually authorized to sell to get the full picture though but as it stands that review did intel no favors.

Additionally your ram if im reading that as DDR4 @3600 cas 16 is at AMD's  Infinity fabric sweet spot. Nothing to do there at all 

Thanks for the intel mate, much appreciated. I’ve been away from AMD for so long I’d need to do a lot more research before pulling the trigger and moving from intel....but I’m not that loyal I’d stick with them for no performance reason.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Moved from Intel to AMD with 5800x combine it with Asus B550-F Strix and 32Gb 3600 C16 and have never been happier. Just doing PBO and curve optimiser. I was with Intel since I ever own a PC back in 96 and moving to AMD was a learning curve but defintely worth it. I had to read a lot regarding PBO and curve optimiser and how it all works. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I'm running the R9 5900X with 64 GB 3600 MHz C16 memory, which is a great match. Just set the XMP / DOCP to 1:1 in Bios and it's good to go. I've not had any issues with USB or anything else on my Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming motherboard. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 3/8/2021 at 7:57 AM, martin-w said:

Its claimed that because Intel own and operate their own fabs, it generates challenges that are unique to them. 

That's true, but not particularly informative. Every fab has their own process - Samsung, TSMC, GloFo, etc. - so a problem that is a limited to a single fab is likely to be the result of a challenge that is unique to them.

What I want to know is what that specific challenge is, and how they overcame this. Given the sensitivity of this information it's not likely to be public yet, but eventually it will (once it is safely in the rear view mirror, I expect).

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Hardwareluxx.de have also reviewed a retail i7-11700K unit with a newer BIOS, and it seems that L3 cache latency is slightly reduced but still not enough to provide a good enough difference in gaming performance. Professional reviews should be getting started soon, which means the launch BIOS is likely finalised already.

However, there is also evidence that the memory controller is being artificially crippled on Core-i7 CPUs, simply as means of product segmentation because the Core-i9 series will not provide more cores. This means that the i9-11900K could provide the full potential gaming performance of the new architecture. This wouldn't be a first for Intel, they've been crippling their consumer CPUs in many ways for almost a decade now, and AMD's poor supply means they don't have much competition. This Reddit post has all the information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/m1sgb6/re_anandtechs_11700k_review_was_running_with/

On 3/8/2021 at 11:21 PM, Maxis said:

Because AMD has their own fire that they need to put out with the intermittent USB dropouts and slightly spotty (although not in my case) Agesa updates.

It took far too long, but it seems that they're finally amending the USB connectivity issues for good with AGESA Combo-AM4v2Pi 1.2.0.2.

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/updated-agesa-coming-for-intermittent-usb-connectivity/ta-p/456762

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Hardwareluxx.de have also reviewed a retail i7-11700K unit with a newer BIOS, and it seems that L3 cache latency is slightly reduced but still not enough to provide a good enough difference in gaming performance. Professional reviews should be getting started soon, which means the launch BIOS is likely finalised already.

However, there is also evidence that the memory controller is being artificially crippled on Core-i7 CPUs, simply as means of product segmentation because the Core-i9 series will not provide more cores. This means that the i9-11900K could provide the full potential gaming performance of the new architecture. This wouldn't be a first for Intel, they've been crippling their consumer CPUs in many ways for almost a decade now, and AMD's poor supply means they don't have much competition. This Reddit post has all the information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/m1sgb6/re_anandtechs_11700k_review_was_running_with/

It took far too long, but it seems that they're finally amending the USB connectivity issues for good with AGESA Combo-AM4v2Pi 1.2.0.2.

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/updated-agesa-coming-for-intermittent-usb-connectivity/ta-p/456762

Just read it moments ago too ! Now lets see how long it takes to find its way onto Asus bios update webpages !

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

12 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Professional reviews should be getting started soon, which means the launch BIOS is likely finalised already.

Might be worth considering that BIOS performance updates continue for months after a release. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

This is a hard pass.. But wake me when the 12900K is released. It will be a, wait for it... wait for it.... new socket again, but will also finally utilize DDR5 system ram. Just one more year fellas. Oh and as an added benefit maybe by then Nvidia will have caught up with demand.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+