Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Story of a remarkable (RNZAF) B757 flight...Part I

[This is bit of an ambitious post, on my part, both in background and execution, so, if you are not a "Pro" in aviation, which I'm not either, and care to feel a bit of the excitement of this flight, as I myself did here, please tag along with me...or, you may jump to the set of images below...(after all, who would not like a few pictures of the classic B757 narrowbody twinjet, a plane that has been always of interest to me, as RW traveler (recall many (pax) flights in Delta/AA 757s), and also, here, in the SIM. At CS, I was, there, in the "crowd", when it was released, and, with my newly-empowered (purely imaginary and inflated) jet privilege, I was even making some "noise" there, pointing out "technical" faults with the SIM...recalling that, now, after more than a decade, I just chuckle to myself, for my pilotage "vanity" of that time...🙂...anyway, here, I've fallen back to my (favorite) QW757, that I've not flown in recent memory, to illustrate a most dramatic story, which I've been aware of, for quite some time, with a good ending, of course,...so, here we go...Part I...]

Some of you may have noticed my fascination with Antarctica, via several posts and use of several (virtual) airliners,...which has included trips and (NZIR Ice Runway landings) with CS C-130, CS B707, QW 787, AS DC-8 among other aircraft...OK, so, here I go, again, weaving my dreams in the virtual world of our (SIM) aviation, with my virtual planes...🙂...But, this is not so far-fetched...is it...? After all, many of us, here, have been (recently) flying around the 737MAX here, a lot, (good to see those posts, btw), while I noted today that the plane was given FAA Approval to fly again, on November 18, 2020, and the European counterpart (EASA) declared its eligibility to return to service, barely a month ago, on January 27, 2021. So, our virtual pilots here are probably ahead of most of the RW 737 pilots, yet to be fully trained on it...oh well...all in the name of fun...🙂...and love for our hobby...

Based on the extremely thorough (and highly readable) report by the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC, NZ), here is the account of the subject-flight, of this post:

The charter/experimental flight I'm referring to, was 2nd of the (very) first three (planned) flights, to Antarctica, ever to be undertaken by such a commercial type jetliner (C-130s/C-17s are/were the norm). The plane was a RNZAF Boeing 757-2K2 (Reg. NZ7571). BTW, my (SIM) images below are for the identical make/model and also (RNZAF) livery, but, the Reg. No. is offset by one in the last digit (NZ7572). And, my love-affair with NZ continues here, my previous 3 B2B posts, been themed in NZ locales...🙂...The plane had taken off, October 7, 2013, from Christchurch, with 130 persons on board (including 13 crew), headed for Antarctica's Pegasus Field (NZPG) airstrip, serving the McMurdo Station. [Side Note: The major (and newest) airfield, in Antarctica, now, in service, for large airplanes, is NZFX (Phoenix Field), located appx. 3 miles east of the former Pegasus Airfield. The construction of NZFX runway is an engineering marvel, and, indeed, a remarkable piece of human achievement. Unlike previous "Ice" Runways, NZFX was the first runway to be built from compacted snow, and certified to handle the stress from a fully-loaded C-17 Globemaster III].

SimBrief (correctly) does not recognize either NZPG or NZIR (my airfield of choice, in this post). SimBrief (correctly) recognizes only NZFX, so, see the SimBrief MAP screenshot, below, for a flightplan route, south, from Christchurch (NZCH) to Phoenix Field (NZFX), at the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf. Notice the (overlaid) ETOPS circles. The PNR (Point of No Return), sometimes called PSR (Point of Safe Return), is defined as the point at which an aircraft is no longer capable of returning to the airfield from which it took off due to fuel considerations. Beyond this point the aircraft must continue onward to its DEST (or some other destination). For this flight, a PNR was duly calculated, in advance, and as the plane crossed the PNR, over the desolate Southern Ocean, the forecasted weather for Pegasus Field Runway, continued to recommend onward progress. There was actually a fog bank 3 miles from the Runway, but, prevailing (and predicted) wind conditions, was expected to dissipate it, before the arrival of the 757. However, Mother nature had other plans..! The (unpredictable) Antarctic wind continued to change direction, moving to the east and eventually becoming calm. With the wind strength being so light, the fog was able to form quickly over the airfield. By the time, the 757 flew on well past the PNR, the fog bank, at NZPG, had already enveloped the runway and its approaches. With insufficient fuel, to return to Christchurch, the crew had no choice but to remain committed to continuing to Pegasus Field. There was no (suitable) alternative (nearer) diversion airport in Antarctica (or anywhere) for the 757.

On arrival in the vicinity of Pegasus Field, the crew prepared for the first attempt to land.

1. "The crew discussed their options and decided to fly the RNAV instrument approach to runway 33. That approach had a minimum descent altitude (MDA) of 360 feet. However, because the first 1,000 feet of runway were not available for landing, the crew agreed to raise the MDA to 410 feet...The crew requested the approach lights to be turned up to their maximum setting for their approach. The aeroplane was initially in visual conditions before entering a low cloud bank at about 700 feet. At 410 feet the crew was unable to see any visual references so commenced the missed approach procedure, climbing to 5,000 feet and entering a holding pattern..."
  2. "Approximately 10 minutes later a Canadian Twin Otter aeroplane also flew the runway 33 RNAV approach. The Twin Otter used the published MDA of 360 feet, but was unable to gain visual reference with the airfield. The Twin Otter was ski-equipped, so it was diverted to Williams Field 17 km away where it made a visual approach and landing." The 757 was not only much bigger and faster, but, it was not equipped with skis, either, so, unable to use the (nearby) Williams Field....!
  3. "After the first attempt the crew decided to "hold" to see if the weather would start to clear. After holding for nearly two hours with no improvement in the conditions (actually it had further deteriorated), the crew decided to make a second approach using a lower “minimum descent altitude” than the published minima (the crew had agreed that the MDA could be lowered to 100 feet) in an attempt to increase the chance of becoming visual with the runway....At 100 feet the crew was still unable to gain visual reference and commenced another missed approach procedure...As the aeroplane started to climb away, the second captain observed several markers and some lights about 15 meters out to the right of the aeroplane...."
  4. "With dwindling fuel reserves and conditions deteriorating, the crew elected to make a third attempt at landing. The aeroplane was positioned for a long straight-in approach. When the aircraft reached about 110 feet above the runway, the crew (finally) saw the runway approach lights and markings and was able to make a successful landing in near-whiteout conditions. The aeroplane was brought to a halt with about 4,000 feet remaining. There was no damage to the aircraft and no-one was injured. The fuel remaining on board after shutting down the engines was calculated to be about 3,000 kilograms, sufficient for one further approach (if it had been required). And, the fog started to clear about one and a half hours after the aeroplane had landed...!"

Now, to my flight of this post: Having (previously) made several (virtual and very long) Antarctic flights from the mainland to the ice continent, this time, here, I've, instead, done the following:

1. I've performed a cold & dark start-up of the 757 on the Cargo Ramp of McMurdo Station. It was not "dark" (see start-up sequence shots), but, it was surely "cold"...🙂...
  2. I've reduced the visibility to (1/4) mile. This means practically (complete) white-out flying conditions, all around, without any (external) visual reference at all (see screenshots), with only the Moon (see after lift-off shot), and the (pale) Sun (see last shot), barely breaking through the fog, for my company...🙂...
  3. I've lifted off (McMurdo's) NZIR (Ice Runway), (not NZFX, which does not exist in my scenery), climbing to 4000 feet, at Rwy heading (183), to about 50 nms straight out.
  4. I've loaded a (complete) flightplan (NZCH->NZFX), on the ground, same as the one in the SimBrief screenshot, below, and also have pre-defined a HOLD, into the FMS (see ND shots), but have not initially activated Flightplan/LNAV, but have done so, only later, just for executing the (Right Turn) "Hold" Pattern. Clicking the LSK for the Hold Fix at BYRRD, on the FMS, and then activating LNAV, has got my QW757 (admirably and magically, enough, for this non-pilot simmer) heading direct to the BYRRD Fix, to initiate the Hold (See FMS Hold page parameters (mostly left at default except for LEG TIME 2.0 min instead of 1.0 min, to make the loop twice larger), and also see the (magenta) race-track pattern in the close up shots of ND).
  5. After execution of this (symbolic) "Hold" Pattern, I next intend to exit "Hold", while roughly in the direction of the NZIR Runway (Heading 003, opposite to takeoff), and then guide myself with my Artificial ILS Gauge needles (see images) down to the Rwy threshold.

I've suspended my flight, here, while in the Hold-Pattern, to be resumed, after, some refreshments...So, please expect Part II images for the concluding segment, where I expect to, touchdown safely onto the Ice Runway, while to be faced with, surely, complete white-out conditions...🙂...(guided only by my trusty Artificial ILS gauge)...

Hope you enjoy this set of images, below, of this RNZAF B757, as an attempt to replicate this remarkable (RW) flight and thereby appreciate the gravity and complexity of the (dire) scenario, even if in the most minuscule amount, by means accessible to me. The (actual) flight is a testament to the perfect Crew Resource Management (CRM), under the most challenging and stressful circumstances, beyond human control...and, of course, it's also a testament to the venerable 757 jet itself. While I now head for refreshments, I cannot help thinking of the (2 hr) Hold the crew had to perform, after the first un-successful attempt, trying to conserve fuel for subsequent approach attempts, and also, surely, deliberating jointly (and intently) on the next step to take...

This has been good fun, so far. Thanks for your interest...!!

[QW(752), AS(Antarctica), REX]

24gGrh.png

RzNItm.png

z1Zfhu.png

zUNQfe.png

DET5BF.png

qVxKF0.png

iQ0NBE.png

tizrdc.png

YG5xTJ.png

fyM6QK.png

xQxm1o.png

6N8HKw.png

xLz12Q.png

q1ox9l.png

m12bRu.png

hZeasl.png

vEw6uy.png

39VmCT.png

RB62IL.png

E7HcJb.png

• Like 5

Darn thrilling story there. I can only imagine the stress and anxiety in that cockpit with 130 passengers on board. I wonder what the cockpit PA announcements were before each approach attempt. Many prayers must have been said after that landing followed by an emptying of the base bar's whiskey store.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thank you both, for the comments...!! The 757 twinjet being atypically thin for its length, always makes for interesting and nice-looking pictures...

Ted: Agree, amazing story...

On the 2nd attempt, the crew had failed to gain visual reference of runway till as low as 100 feet...though they had sighted several markers and some lights about 15 meters out to the right of the aeroplane...

Then, the 3rd attempt proceeded as follows:

The aeroplane was positioned about 15 km from the runway for a long straight-in approach commencing from 2,500 feet. At 1,000 feet, while still above the low cloud bank, the aeroplane was turned to the right to move the approach track to the right by about 15 m before returning to the original heading. At about 110 feet the co-pilot called “visual, continue”, meaning he had sufficient visual references with the runway for the landing to be made. At this time the captain looked up from the instruments and said he was able to make out some ground markings and then the markers on both sides of the runway, confirming he was lined up with the center of the runway. He disconnected the autopilot and shortly after flared the aeroplane for a normal landing.

Imagine been glued to the instruments till 100 feet..and then only looking up/out for marker sightings...Incredible airmanship indeed...!

On a lighter note, regarding, your last remarks...🙂...the Bar at Scott Base (the New Zealand Antarctic research facility on Ross Island near Mount Erebus) is supposedly called “The Tatty Flag”...Every Thursday night, the bar hosts participants for “American Night”. Shuttles from McMurdo run regularly, and the bar fills up. It’s always a great time, and a fantastic opportunity to meet Kiwi Antarctic scientists and support workers, as well as check out a few of the facilities...sounds like good fun....🙂...except for the cold....

• Like 3

Amazing story, P_7878. As Ted already said, the stress level must have been pretty high, also knowing that there was just enough fuel left for one more landing attempt!

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

***Exciting and Informative as Always***Thank You for a Superb Post***

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

The flying pencil! I have Just Flights Freemium 757 and haven't flown it for quite some time now. Excellent power to weight, relatively speaking!

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Bernd, Patrick, Mark: Appreciated the additional comments and kind words....!!

[Patrick: Like that (new) flashing thingy....🙂...]

• Like 1