Sign in to follow this  
powlcown

AAO Bravo Throttle Quodrent question

Hi, 

Could you please give me some help here.

I received my Bravo Throttle Quodrent last week and have spent many hours setting up profiles for various types of aircraft (twin engine piston and jet, single engine basic and complex  etc etc). One of my favourite aircraft is the WT CJ4 citation jet. To setup this aircraft I purchased Lorby AAO. I am now planning to setup all my controls and buttons for all my favourite aircraft with this software. However before I proceed I have a number of questions.

1. Most important question is. If I mess it up can I resort back to the profiles I setup in MSFS 2020.

2. Is it necessary to unbind all axes and buttons in  the profiles I have already setup within the simulator. I know I have to do it for WTCJ4, but not sure about the others.

2 hours ago, powlcown said:

1. Most important question is. If I mess it up can I resort back to the profiles I setup in MSFS 2020.

2. Is it necessary to unbind all axes and buttons in  the profiles I have already setup within the simulator. I know I have to do it for WTCJ4, but not sure about the others.

1. AAO doesn't change your profiles in MSFS (in fact, it has no bearing whatsoever on them). I'm not really an expert on the MSFS internal assignments, but I think that you can save/export a profile to a file? To be loaded back in at a later date?

2. Only those that would otherwise cause a conflict. AAO doesn't exclude the sim, so a button assigned in both would trigger both actions. The choice is yours if you configure a specific joystick axis or button in MSFS or in AAO, you just can't do both.

Generally speaking, your use case is what AAO is all about. You can assign and calibrate your controllers for each individual aircraft in AAO and the app will automatically detect which one you are flying and use the controls and calibration that you set up for it. This is completely independent from the sim and its controller assignments, and in that scenario it would actually be better if you don't assign anything in MSFS itself to avoid conflicts - with the exception of the camera controls, since those aren't exposed on SimConnect yet.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thank you for your fast response to my questions. You have answered them all and am grateful. If I run into any problems I'll no doubt be asking more. 

Best wishes David

So far so good. I have setup axes on both my Honeycomb Alpha yoke and Bravo Throttle for a twin engine P44.  Buttons assigned in MSFS2020 for autopilot buttons seem to be working fine. I now want to setup for a single engine. Am I right in assuming that if I save my twin engine to a template and then import it to a single engine aircraft all I need to do is delete axis associated with engine number 2 and then save this as say a single engine template? 

Much appreciate your time. Hopefully there won't be too many more questions from this old timer!

Best wishes David

30 minutes ago, powlcown said:

Am I right in assuming that if I save my twin engine to a template and then import it to a single engine aircraft all I need to do is delete axis associated with engine number 2 and then save this as say a single engine template? 

Yes, you can do either that, or you board your single engine plane and use "Templates->Apply other config to this aircraft" to copy the existing config from your twin engine into the single, then delete the axis.

The latter is my preferred method, I don't use the templates much. When I board a new plane, I use the above mentioned method to just duplicate an existing config from a plane that I already flew, then make my changes. Since AAO remembers this for each individual aircraft anyway, I don't feel the need to work with templates. They were more intended for exchanging profiles between computers/users.

To be on the safe side, if you make a lot of changes, make use of "Tools -> Save database now" every now and then. Just to be safe in case of a problem. AAO saves automatically, but that may be too late.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI