Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Msfs 2020 and back to P3D question

I bought a new PC about a month ago and installed MSFS 2020 on it. This is after many years of P3D which for me was very stable. I was running Version 3.4 since my old PC wasn't capable of running the 64 bit versions. Anyway MS 2020 looks great when it runs, but CTDs are ending about 20% of my hundred mile or so flights in GA aircraft. Many others are having the same problems with no suggested fixes working. This is on a brand new gaming PC. 

Now my question is, has anyone tried MS 2020, and gone back to P3D. If so is the scenery in the new version 5 a real letdown after 2020, or has it been improved since version 3.4?  I am most likelyu going to be flying only A2A GA aircraft, which I own a bunch of. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Default scenery is marginally improved I would say from v3. But not much, you still need to get Orbx global as a minimum to get to an acceptable level. 

It sure is a long way from MSFS 2020 visually, but if you are flying a2a planes then that will beat the pants out of anything MSFS has. 

All just my 2cents

Bully. 

Edited by djbully
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Default vectors in P3D v5 is improved.  EA also improves the lighting.  You will be impressed going from P3D v3 to v5. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I was an alpha tester for MSFS and also bought a copy when the product launched.  I keep up with the updates and maybe a couple times a month take a flight.  The scenery is a lot better than p3d.  But that doesn't win over the lack of aircraft, chaseplane, model matching, etc.  If we could combine the best of P3D and MSFS we would really have a winner.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 7

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Many others are having the same problems with no suggested fixes working. This is on a brand new gaming PC. 

Now my question is, has anyone tried MS 2020, and gone back to P3D. If so is the scenery in the new version 5 a real letdown after 2020, or has it been improved since version 3.4?

Who?  I've been at it in MSFS since day one, over 200h, one CTD early on w/ the IFR map bug which was fixed, and haven't had another since.  My rig was built 6 months prior to release.  The scenery in the new version is essentially the same. 

I've used P3D since version 2, stopped and held at version 4.5.   I have no need for V5 it adds nothing for my purposes.  

For the first 5 months post release I was 90% MSFS, 10% P3D v 4.5.   It's now flip-flopped and I am maybe 20% MSFS, 80% P3D.   The reason is very simple for me:  there isn't a whole lot to do in MSFS.  In reality, there isn't much more to do in P3D until you use something like FSCaptain, w/o which I would not use P3D ever!   FSC adds meaning in the sense my flights are graded and I have a career to maintain.  If FSC were to appear in MSFS tomorrow, I'd likely be back to at least 75% MSFS, and not 100% because of no PMDGware which I really enjoy and have learned.   

To answer your question, yes, the scenery in P3D is pathetic in comparison, and when you amp it up w/ for example Orbx regional scenery it only gets a bit better, and it's expensive, and the performance penalty is substantial.   Just fly the PMDG NGXu into KSFO-HD in Orbx NCA regional and see how that goes.  I hate that kind of performance where you have to stop and change sliders just to land, been there done that a 1000 times--never again!  And while it's clear from testimony V5.x does improve performance some, especially if you have any spare VRAM laying around, it's still absolutely, postively, phoney scenery by comparison to what you have all over the planet in MSFS.  

So for me, I've come up w/ a killer workaround for P3d:  it is simply this:  I fly mostly from pre-dusk to post-dawn, in the PMDG NGUx & 777.  This allows me to do the following:

• Use high quality payware airports in P3D
  • Disable ORBX regional sceneries where there is a massive performance hit:  Orbx NCA & SCA primarily, and this is where I often fly in and out of.
  • Move autogen/vegetation/detail distance sliders to sparse.   I do leave the top one to Dense, the scenery complexity slider I think it is.

What this affords then is I can fly into any airport anywhere, and retain excellent fluid, stutter-free performance and never have to stop and adjust.  And you don't fly P3D for the scenery anyway.  For me, it's essentially cockpit simulator w/ very unrealistic but plausible enough scenery--enough to support the role of cockpit simulator.   The 3rd party airports in low light and night flying in P3D is quite lovely visually and w/ the sliders well left they perform well.  And it is so nice to have liquid smooth performance everywhere, finally.  Putting sliders way up in P3D w/ PMDGware on board is just an invitation for frustration and dissatisfaction ultimately and let's face it, it's really putting lipstick on a pig anyway, compared to MSFS.  When I return to MSFS it's always amazing just how visually real it is.

If I were to just be starting in P3D after using MSFS that is what I would do--skip most of the regional scenery, definitely pick up Orbx Global, and focus on nice airports if you're into airliners.  If it's anything less than commericial airliners, I wouldn't use P3D at all.    

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

41 minutes ago, Noel said:

If I were to just be starting in P3D after using MSFS that is what I would do--skip most of the regional scenery, definitely pick up Orbx Global, and focus on nice airports if you're into airliners.  If it's anything less than commericial airliners, I wouldn't use P3D at all.    

I decided to get the full package of simaddons for Cdn airports and I'm quite happy with that, it's the perfect level of simple quality that doesn't tax the system. I'm not even going to touch Flightbeam now since they "changed".

I agree though, I have kept it simple, orbx global, openLC, vector, simaddons and zinertek HD airports. The reason I find Zinertek essential is that it redoes all the default runways and taxis and updates all the default airport buildings. What I also like in P3D is flying VOR-VOR with no GPS with the A2A.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

How has FlightBeam changed?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

You can make P3Dv5 look a lot like MSFS but it will cost a lot of money.

I have purchased more than € 1000 on addons : photoreal scenery + custom AG + POIs. In MSFS you already have that.

Start as Noël suggested.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Now my question is, has anyone tried MS 2020, and gone back to P3D. 

Yes.  But I haven't given up on MSFS.

Bob in your view can a person fly both?  Or must it be some sort of binary choice?   It's not like religion where I can only have one at a time, is it?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

the state of art with MsFs is... fantastic visual landscapes with a lake of bad  or incomplete aircrafts.

Actually msfs upgrades destabilize most of solutions finding to solve aircrafts problems... (sic)

But flying is for me... first!  good and realistic aircrafts !

When I look outside, i’m in the cockpit mostly as a real pilot.

because i’m flying 80% Liners, I coming back to p3d 4/5. When you are on level 250... landscape is mostly clouds ;-)) or the grounds so far.

because you are coming from p3dv3, I recommend you to go p3dv4, so you have more compatible addons owned from v3.

P3dv4.5 is for me the best version of LM.... A lot of addons are never coming to v5 because the arrival of msfs.

Make a good choice and have fun 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Who?  I've been at it in MSFS since day one, over 200h, one CTD early on w/ the IFR map bug which was fixed, and haven't had another since.  My rig was built 6 months prior to release.  The scenery in the new version is essentially the same. 

Hundreds and hundreds of posts on the MSFS forum, Facebook,  and Avsim and it is number 4 on Asobos list of things they are trying to fix. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I an Alpha tester in MSFS but only fly GA where scenery is more important and only to test an update only just hit 50hrs, but I use P3Dv5.1 as my IFR main sim don`t need scenery in the cockpit only on approach and takeoff, that`s where my addon airport come in better ATC, I can`t see MSFS being up there for IFR for a few years MS and Asobo are working mostly on Scenery, and looking at the roadmap Italy 22-23 so Asia 2025?.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

I an Alpha tester in MSFS but only fly GA where scenery is more important and only to test an update only just hit 50hrs, but I use P3Dv5.1 as my IFR main sim don`t need scenery in the cockpit only on approach and takeoff, that`s where my addon airport come in better ATC, I can`t see MSFS being up there for IFR for a few years MS and Asobo are working mostly on Scenery, and looking at the roadmap Italy 22-23 so Asia 2025?.  

I fly only GA aircraft now, stopped flying tube liners about 9 years ago. I use PF3 for ATC, both in P3D and MS 2020 and all my flights are IFR. 

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I fly only GA aircraft now, stopped flying tube liners about 9 years ago. I use PF3 for ATC, both in P3D and MS 2020 and all my flights are IFR. 

I tend to fly at 30,000ft plus in IFR but at just 15.000ft scenery detail not important.

PS in fact i don`t fly in the UK or Europe in MSFS i like to fly in places i don`t fly in P3D like Asia Philippines Java area.  

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Now my question is, has anyone tried MS 2020, and gone back to P3D. If so is the scenery in the new version 5 a real letdown after 2020, or has it been improved since version 3.4?  I am most likelyu going to be flying only A2A GA aircraft, which I own a bunch of.

Bobsk8

I do it almost every day, but I do it for a different reason/s.  I have P3dv5 but do not use it much, and concentrate on v4.5.  Reason ... iFly 737/747 and the Carenado Pheneom 300. iFly not yet converted for v5 and I do not know that they ever will. The MSFS versions of the 737 and 747 are not all that brilliant IMO, but the TBM, Rob Youngs Bonanza G36 turbo, Working Title CJ4 and the Longtitude plus the really good FBW A320 combined with the incomparable default and freeware scenery keeps me very interested.

Also, I generally only fly in Australia and I have all of ORBXs' OZ sceneries and from that point of view only, I remain very happy with P3D. Another reason is that I am very fortunate in that I am not suffering the MSFS CTDs that seem to be affecting so many simmers. I have yet to update any of the updates without having to fix some thing though, and I really wish they could sort that out. However, in answer to your question, I go back and forth on a daily basis but, it is NOT because I am unhappy with MSFS. Regardless, the biggest difference between MSFS and the others is most definitely the scenery. I would note that even P3D or XPlane payware scenery is not as good as default MSFS, whilst noting that some areas of OZ are definitely not even 2016 era (notably, MSFS YBWW - Wellcamp - Toowoomba is a paddock whereas in reality, it is a 747 capable airport (and currently housing 5 Virgin 777s in storage)  

The announced Aerobask Phenom 300 for XPlane will up the ante for me as well, with that platform, but at the moment, I go to XPlane at least three or four times per week.

Sadly, it is DCS (no addon payware) and AeroFS, which I have not revisited since the advent of MSFS and both of those are quite good too.

Lastly, P3Dv4 and v5 are VERY much improved over v3.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.