Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Msfs 2020 and back to P3D question

20 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

i like to fly in places i don`t fly in P3D like Asia Philippines Java area. 

Mate, 

Do you even recognize Bali Denpasar, or Surabaya airports in MSFS.  I realize that you may not be a regular IRL visitor. I live in East Java and frequently transit through those airports.  In MSFS, they are not even remotely similar to the real world airports.  The same applies to Djakarta.

Airport quality is good even though it is very outdated.

Strangely, Denpasar features the toll bypass freeway which was built offshore, and this was built after a major upgrade to the airport. The tollway is there but the upgraded airport is not. Go figure.

Tony   

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

"You can make P3Dv5 look a lot like MSFS but it will cost a lot of money."

really? 

"I'm gonna drink until she's beautiful, another drink and she is a 9, I turn the lights up and she smiles at me with both her teeth."

no need to spend a lot of money to make P3D look pretty.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Prepar3d v5 with hotfix hasn't given me 1 munutes worth of problems.  MSFS 2020 has taken too much of my time readjusting sensitivity settings,and lately, crashes with the latest update. I may be laid to my grave before MSFS is corrected enough for me to properly fly the sim. It is beautiful on the outside, but too much trouble to mess with at present . With ORBX and other add-ons, I think Prepar3d V5 looks just as good as MSFS 2020 without the extra hassle.

Bill Davis

Edited by wwdavis
  • Upvote 2

Prepar3d is designed for use with addons. If you want decent scenery, you buy it or make it.

Anyone who says P3D can’t be made to look good doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

There are lots of solutions, but: for GA, I would combine an A2A plane with orbs TrueEarth. For airliners, buy or make some Ortho, and combine it with pay ware airports and any of the great planes that are available for this platform (Maddog FTW!). 

MSFS is only better if you have very low standards for planes, and don’t want to do any work to make the sim shine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

There are lots of solutions, but: for GA, I would combine an A2A plane with orbs TrueEarth.  

MSFS is only better if you have very low standards for planes, and don’t want to do any work to make the sim shine.

Or if you want to fly GA outside the few regions of the world covered by ORBX True Earth. In other words, the majority of the world.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just now, pmb said:

Or if you want to fly GA outside the few regions of the world covered by ORBX True Earth. In other words, the majority of the world.

Kind regards, Michael

Orbx Global plus OpenLC is the mainstream solution then, which looks pretty good.

I’m personally just making Ortho with worldwide coverage.

MSFS is superficially pretty, and as noted requires little effort. But it’s not nearly as good as P3D for simulating aviation, unless you’re wanting to fly something very simple like a cub.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

20 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

MSFS......... unless you’re wanting to fly something very simple like a cub.

or a Citation Jet CJ4 using the free WorkingTitle mod, developed by real Citation Pilots.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

39 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I’m personally just making Ortho with worldwide coverage.

Been there, done that for X-Plane and AeroflyFS. As you know, raw aerial imagery has a number of issues including color mismatches and/or clouds, at least. Yes, you can overcome all these by photoshopping and tricks - if you have enough spare time at hand.

Next you need fitting autogen or whatever it's called or create this, too, e.g. using Scenproc. And according to my experience, the result still doesn't fit in the same way organically to the ground as in MSFS where ground, buildings, and trees are created from the same base dataset.

And in the end, when you're done with Southern Africa and want to fly in India or Russia you'll have to start over again.

I for one am more than happy I'll not have to set foot into this realm again. I have limited time for this hobby and prefer to spend it for actual flying instead of number-crunching.  For me, MSFS is a blessing, despite a number of shortcomings which I don't deny. 

And referring to the OP: I am not sure if I had more CTDs in MSFS since release or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors using EA since I bought P3D5.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

But it’s not nearly as good as P3D for simulating aviation, unless you’re wanting to fly something very simple like a cub.

How is that? 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

My 2 cents is...

Atm you won't beat MSFS for scenery look and feel, the idea of streaming scenery combined with autogen on the fly so to speak is a great idea. Plus additional hand creation rounds it out and the new gfx engine makes it nice and shiny.

Unfortunatelly the immature status of MSFS and the way MSFS updates means you'll be stuck on a Windows 10 type update bandwagon with a shot each way as to if things are going to go well or not. Essentually it will be a moving target for quite some time I'd say which will be hard on both users and development teams.

Flying P3D will bring stability with it's further spaced out (manual) updates and there is the option to trial an update and then rollback if needed.

In anycase both dev teams end up chasing bugs after release and we end up with hotfixes to resolve.

A big plus for P3D is of course there are many more planes to fly and P3D can look pretty nice with the right scenery.

For myself it was a no brainer to move to P3D v3 (from FSX) simply because I could bring my library of FSX scenery and planes with me, although the x64 move took a bit longer while devs caught up. So for myself I've had a great many years of use from scenry I've origionally purchased for FSX (Orbx in particular).

I certainly agree if P3D had the scenery option of MSFS I'd probably never see a reason to move but I doubt that is going to happen given the backing finance of MS and the large team of dev crew MS's money have bought, but who knows what the future will hold.

Also officially P3D is not marketed as a entertainment product although maybe they can officially change that now that MSFS is out.

Anyway choice of sim is a freedom for every one and a couple of P3D pics and planes just to show looking good is not only MSFS domain.

Cheers R

2ED1A487D9861410E551E67446CEFB8537D274EA (2560×1440)

0F9F2755CB95FC51C560D907E5764A1D71E77081

9016A21B67534B9E4BA830980839A607879F4A69

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 3

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I have said it before and I think many others have as well, If they haven't then they have certainly thought about it.

P3D maturity with MSFS scenery and MSFS would not get a look in. 

MSFS will eventually get that maturity and probably before P3D gets the scenery.  

Never hurts to dream though

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Hundreds and hundreds of posts on the MSFS forum, Facebook,  and Avsim and it is number 4 on Asobos list of things they are trying to fix. 

I've done zero mods of any kind, and just a few payware airports installed.  I always wonder if this is playing any role in this sort of thing.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Orbx Global plus OpenLC is the mainstream solution then, which looks pretty good.

Yeah, pretty good sums it up accurately.  Just not realistic compared to MSFS or presumably TruEarth.  And of course then there's the performanc whack.  I have no idea how TE performs w/ comparable to MSFS' Ultra settings, but I do know when I load up the NGXu and fly into FB's KSFO-HD w/ Orbx NCA enabled it's not pretty all.  Before long you've dialed sliders back so far you're really losing reality even more.  Best solution for P3D is flying from dusk to dawn where scenery doesn't matter, and performance is easy to achieve in the NGXu to any airport, because you can dial back scenery sliders to sparse and not notice it.   Works for me because I've concluded you can't put lipstick on a pig and get away with anything more than that approach offers.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

performance is easy to achieve in the NGXu to any airport, because you can dial back scenery sliders to sparse and not notice it.

Tends to suggest the problem is insufficient hardware then?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, Noel said:

"Best solution for P3D is flying from dusk to dawn where scenery doesn't matter"

turn the lights off, and she is as pretty as a top model.

very nice.