Sign in to follow this  
Avenger2000

Cessna 172SP. Setting AP to ILS

I’m flying the mission “Flying Blind Across the Channel” mainly through AP.  So on the g1000 I have the CDI set to GPS and the separate little AP pop up panel set to NAV.  This works until I get near the localizer at the airport.  I set CDI to LOC1 (it is picking up the signal) but how do I tell the AP to fly towards it?  I tried pressing the APR button on the AP but it doesn’t do anything.  Even when there is a glideslope indicator.  Is there a switch I am missing?

That’s my main question but on my second attempt I pressed PROC on the g1000 and set the ILS approach.  I press APR on the AP and it seems to follow the localizer heading but it is not adjusting to the glideslope and I have to take over manually sooner than I expected.  Again am I doing something wrong?

If you can help me I’d really appreciate it.  Thanks.

I never had the G1000 cockpit for the C172.  No problem with capturing the Localizer.  At that point, I then hit the APR and easily captured the glideslope to the runway.  Sounds like you may be too high on approach to capture the GS.  She always bought me lunch after landing. 😃

Make sure your Pitot Tube heat is on and your altimeter is set correctly.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

When you switch the GPS to LOC1 mode, do you see the glideslope indicator on the PFD?  Assuming you have the NAV1 radio tuned to the ILS frequency..

If the glideslope indicator is active, and you are below it, you can press APR.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

With the g1000, it seems to work if I hit PROC on the g1000 and load the approach.  I can then switch to LOC1 with the NAV1 frequency set and follow the glideslope in.  But if I just change the CDI to LOC1, even if I have the NAV1 entered and the green glideslope diamond at the highest position on the PFD, when I press APR on the autopilot nothing happens even while waiting a long time and passing the airport.  I don’t adjust heading or anything.  Can my course be too far off from the LOC1 for some reason?  Or you have to use the PROC button and load the approach with the g1000?  This g1000 is a bit of a hybrid with the AP not built in to the panel.

I know I did this simply in the Boeing 737-800 ILS Approach lessons but that wasn’t a g1000.

Edit: The person in this forum thread explains doing this mission using PROC as well so I’m a bit confused.  https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?209486-Adjust-course-for-Flying-Blind-Across-the-Channel-Mission

Edited by Avenger2000
Modify

1 hour ago, Avenger2000 said:

But if I just change the CDI to LOC1, even if I have the NAV1 entered and the green glideslope diamond at the highest position on the PFD, when I press APR on the autopilot nothing happens even while waiting a long time and passing the airport.

This sounds to me like yet one more MSFS bug.  Lets see what happens after next week's update.  😉

Edit: Oops, my bad...  this is the FSX forum.. :unsure:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

42 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

This sounds to me like yet one more MSFS bug.  Lets see what happens after next week's update.  😉

Yo, Bert....FSX isn't getting any  more updates!  🤔😲

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

23 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Yo, Bert....FSX isn't getting any  more updates!  🤔😲

OK, reset... I have never used the default G1000 in FSX... so disregard.

Or are we talking about the Carenado G1000?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

39 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I'm thinking that it's the Default C-172 with the optional G1000 model/panel.  I had Standard Edition of FSX and did not have it.

Charlie Aron

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

37 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I'm thinking that it's the Default C-172 with the optional G1000 model/panel.  I had Standard Edition of FSX and did not have it.

It’s the default one in the C-172SP for FSX Steam Edition.  It could be a bug but I am a beginner and can’t make that determination from experience.  I love the FS X missions and am going through them in order.  I was able to just use the localizer with AP without any issues using the 737 during the ATP lessons.  But this is the first time I am trying the g1000 autopilot with ILS.  It’s weird because I think on the actual plane, the AP would be integrated into the g1000 and it would work more seemlessly.  You would see the glide slope and other AP annunciations at the top of the PFD.  It seems to work okay following a GPS flight plan.  It is just at the end when I want to do an ILS landing, it didn’t seem to work without adding an approach procedure.

My suggestion would be to try the same Mission using the C172 with steam gauges  and see if that works for you. If the G1000 model comes up as default for that Mission, you can put a check mark in the box at the bottom of the Missions list to make changes.  Just change aircraft to one with the steam gauges panel.

Charlie Aron

Okay I narrowed down my issue!  It has nothing to do with using PROC.  Even though I see a glideslope, the autopilot doesn’t lock in if I am too far right of the localizer.  I am initially very far to the right.  If I turn my heading to the left for about 30 seconds, even though the localizer is still all the way left, the auto pilot and glideslope locks in.  Is there a maximum distance away to the left or right where the autopilot might get confused?  The reason why adding an approach procedure worked is because I was more on track via nav when I started to track the localizer.

Any comments?

Edit: I was going at the same heading as the course of the localizer but all the way to the right of it.  If I go left by 60 degrees for a few seconds and turn on AP, it locks in.  If I don’t turn first, it’s like it thinks I am on course although I am to the right of the localizer.  

Edited by Avenger2000

Are you listening to ATC while flying this Mission?  They will normally give you a turn to within 30 degrees of the the runway heading at about 16 miles out so your A/P will engage with the Localizer and with the Glideslope.

Charlie Aron

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Are you listening to ATC while flying this Mission?  They will normally give you a turn to within 30 degrees of the the runway heading at about 16 miles out so your A/P will engage with the Localizer and with the Glideslope.

Yeah maybe I was off a bit.  It wouldn’t be the first time :).  So do you think it’s because my heading is too far off at first that AP didn’t engage with the localizer and glideslope?  Would this be a g1000 auto pilot bug or just the limits of the auto pilot and the localizer?  Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Avenger2000 said:

Would this be a g1000 auto pilot bug or just the limits of the auto pilot and the localizer?

You have to be on course to intercept the localizer, for the the autopilot to lock on..   the autopilot will not take you there!  (If you are not on an intercept course).

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I have flown that Mission on several, many occasions.  The autopilot will take you there as long as you follow ATC instructions with their "turn to heading.......climb or descend to altitude".....   I'm fairly certain this is a beginners Mission.

I still highly recommend getting out of the G1000 cockpit and use the steam gauges cockpit.

Charlie Aron