Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

A couple more of the Spitfire

This is fun! A couple from my previous recorded flight first. When I reloaded the flight and replayed it again today it did actually put the wheels down on coming back in to land, so it's obviously a bit hit and miss about that. I'll keep experimenting though as this recorder (the freeware one) is really nice and basic and gives a smooth replay on my system so if it can work consistently it'll be the one I'll probably use most.

Anyway, one from the start of the flight at EGSG -
2RWMkHl.jpg

And one from the end (with the undercarriage down - whoo-hoo!) -
qEQ8Ze0.jpg

and then just a couple more after taking off again and heading nowhere in particular

Bira1qp.jpg

ooQvxJN.jpg

gG1ceOL.jpg

Now that we've got some aircraft coming along as well, and the replay systems are settling down, this is getting to the point where I can't see me ever firing up P3D again. Maybe the occasional X-Plane (I still really like the Orbx TrueEarth and XP combination). Only possible reason to go back to P3D for me would be some of the aircraft I have there, but I suspect I'd find the whole stuttering jerkiness of the thing unacceptable now. Maybe by the time P3Dv6 or 7 comes along it'll be ok, but all the aircraft I like will probably be incompatible by then!

• Like 7

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Perfect screenies, Andy!  I have to admit I haven't touched P3D or XP11 since August 2020. 

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Perfect screenies, Andy!  I have to admit I haven't touched P3D or XP11 since August 2020. 

Cheers Bernd. Although I haven't had any serious time there lately, XP/TE Florida is still (for me) massively better than the Florida Keys in MSFS. That's one of the few disappointments for me in MSFS at the moment.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Very nice work, Andy.  And I always appreciate when the images include insightful annotations.

Spitfire!  Interesting question included in the Test Pilot quiz in the March issue of AOPA Pilot, page 39.  One of the questions is this.

1. From reader George Shanks: British designer R. J. Mitchell wanted to name his new fighter aircraft the Shrew.  Why was it instead called the Spitfire?

Answer:
Sir Robert McClean, head of Vickers Aviation and Supermarine, wanted to call it the Spitfire because this was the nickname he used for his spirited daughter, Annie, a girl with a fiery temper.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Cheers Frank!

32 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Sir Robert McClean, head of Vickers Aviation and Supermarine, wanted to call it the Spitfire because this was the nickname he used for his spirited daughter, Annie, a girl with a fiery temper.

Didn't know that, but I'm glad he had a reasonable name for her - I wouldn't want to be posting pix of an old 'Slapper' over the Essex countryside!

Great shots, and that Spitfire does look fantastic.  My grandfather served in the RAF in WW2 and worked on Spitfires (he was a Senior Aircraftman) so I have a soft spot for them.  It looks like I need to pick this one up.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

7 hours ago, fppilot said:

Very nice work, Andy.  And I always appreciate when the images include insightful annotations.

Spitfire!  Interesting question included in the Test Pilot quiz in the March issue of AOPA Pilot, page 39.  One of the questions is this.

1. From reader George Shanks: British designer R. J. Mitchell wanted to name his new fighter aircraft the Shrew.  Why was it instead called the Spitfire?

Answer:

When Mitchell found out his Type 224 was going to officially be called the Spitfire, he apparently said: 'That's exactly the sort of bloody silly name they would pick for it.'

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

17 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Cheers Frank!

Didn't know that, but I'm glad he had a reasonable name for her - I wouldn't want to be posting pix of an old 'Slapper' over the Essex countryside!

Ummmm. Thought about this overnight and came back here this morning to remove it, but I can't edit it now, apparently. Sounds possibly weird, but I feel bad about it as it feels disrespectful to the old girl. I don't mean Annie, I mean the plane itself. Which is a strange thing, as (to quote Steve Harley) "it's only metal, after all". But I guess the thing about the Spitfire is that it's so representative of so many things, not least of which all the good and even the great that flew it, that it feels like it exists outside itself.

So, my apologies to the spirit of both the aircraft itself and all who flew her. I was aiming for humour, but my aim is a bit off sometimes.

Wonderful set, Andy,...truly a worthy addition to your SIM...

Yes, have fun with it...(taking off "again" and heading nowhere in particular, sounds good to me...🙂...)...!!