Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Still no ILS Autotuning with most 3rd-party airports

Several aiplanes, like the (FBW) A320, (WT) CJ4 and aircraft equipped with the (WT) G3000, are able to autotune the IlS frequency if the respective approach is selected within the avionics system (FMS, MCDU or G3000). This works for stock airports but NOT for the majority of third party aiports, where you have to tune the ILS frequency manually. It works, but that’s not the way these aircraft are meant to be operated.

I'm not an expert, but I was able to learn from FSDT's Umberto here and here that the autotune capabilty of an ILS seems to be doable once you know the deal, yet until today most 3rd-party airports ship without it. So the question is - and I raised the very same for the upcoming developers Q&A: Why does the majority of scenery developers does not know how to do it? Should MS/ASOBO strengthen their communication with the 3rd-parties? Or are the 3rd-parties too complacent, as the issue was solved quite some time ago and all it took for me to find out was a google search?

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

I don't know, but it's annoying! Your paying extra for an addon, surely it should come with the navigation aids for said addon.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

It does, the ILS just won't tune automatically in the airplanes that are capable. The more sophisticated addons in P3D did that with providing own databases afaik, as the sim itself had no autotune functionality.

Edited by Tom_L
  • Like 1

i just google them, and enter mid flght (in case of approach changes)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I bought Simplates X Ultra. it has pretty much all the approach plates for the whole world. Except it's not Jeppesen. I like it.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

28 minutes ago, Car147 said:

i just google them, and enter mid flght

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

bought Simplates X Ultra

Thanks to share but It's not related with topic. OP are referring to a different issue.

I use Avliasoft EFB on every flight. All frequencies and approaches are right there with a push of a button. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

51 minutes ago, polosim said:

OP are referring to a different issue.

Thx. Maybe a clarification for those not familiar with the issue:

Let's take the CJ4 for example: normally you enter your flightplan into the FMS, and at some stage of the flight you will enter the approach ATC has assigned to you into this "box" (e.g. ILS XY). And because the "box" is smart enough to "know" what frequency and course is connected with this particular approach, it tunes the NAV-receivers accordingly, thus reducing the workload for the crew. This is standard with most modern avionics systems. I think even the standard A320, CJ4 and G3000 equipped aircraft have this feature in MSFS, for sure the Working Title and FlybyWire mods do. In order for this feature to work, MSFS needs to "know" what frequencies belong to each airport/runway. Apparently, the standard scenery editor doesn't provide the means for the 3rd-party developers to enter these data comfortably, but it can be done - if necessary by asking Umberto from FSDT. And yet 99% of addon-airports come without these data integrated. You can fly the ILS approaches of course by looking up the frequeny and course in the charts and entering them manually, but in today's aviation that should be considered the fallback solution only.

Edited by Tom_L

28 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Thx. Maybe a clarification for those not familiar with the issue:

Let's take the CJ4 for example: normally you enter your flightplan into the FMS, and at some stage of the flight you will enter the approach ATC has assigned to you into this "box" (e.g. ILS XY). And because the "box" is smart enough to "know" what frequency and course is connected with this particular approach, it tunes the NAV-receivers accordingly, thus reducing the workload for the crew. This is standard with most modern avionics systems. I think even the standard A320, CJ4 and G3000 equipped aircraft have this feature in MSFS, for sure the Working Title and FlybyWire mods do. In order for this feature to work, MSFS needs to "know" what frequencies belong to each airport/runway. Apparently, the standard scenery editor doesn't provide the means for the 3rd-party developers to enter these data comfortably, but it can be done - if necessary by asking Umberto from FSDT. And yet 99% of addon-airports come without these data integrated. You can fly the ILS approaches of course by looking up the frequeny and course in the charts and entering them manually, but in today's aviation that should be considered the fallback solution only.

So are FSDT's addon airports doing the autotune ? What about Aerosoft and the other company that provides enhanced airports for MSFS?

I would want to stick with those airports only so if there is a running list with the feature baked in by default let us know so we can make a more informed decision ?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I have FSDreamteam CYVR and I had no issue with ILS autotuning. I also have navigraph chart open anyway and I always verify the frequency and the CRS

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I haven't been able to get the ILS to auto tune on my last few flights. I'm not sure what the common denominator is, but the frequency should automatically be in the MCDU after I enter the approach data. I landed in MMAA yesterday with the experimental FBW A320, and noting popped up even after I turned on the LS.

Is this similar to the problem we had in FSX and P3D where some updated AFCADS didn't include the stock data?

Edited by duckbilled

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

20 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I have FSDreamteam CYVR and I had no issue with ILS autotuning. I also have navigraph chart open anyway and I always verify the frequency and the CRS

That's how it's done and how it should be for all 3rd party airports. FSDT have figured it out, but someone needs to tell (nearly) all the other developers out there!

5 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

Is this similar to the problem we had in FSX and P3D where some updated AFCADS didn't include the stock data?

Can't tell, but according to Umberto's (FSdreamteam) findings the ILS data need to be added manually to an *.xml file after compilation with the scenery editor - at least that's my understanding.