Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

If there is one thing that ruins immersion for me...

Its absolutely nailing a complex approach, FPS is high, sim is smooth but when I touch down with a 9kt crosswind my aircraft veers off the runway like its just been sidewinded by a hurricane!  Grrrr.....I'm no RL pilot but surely a 9kt crosswind should be easier to control than stomping full rudder left or right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thomas Derbyshire

When I solo my students for the first I put limit for crosswind 7kts not 9kts, and this is  for a reason ! Lol When there are ready for solo cross country I move crosswind “slider “ up!

Yes MSFS ground model have some problem but using classic technique aileron intro the wind and rudder for centerline still serves me well in MSFS

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I'm with the OP.  There is some phantom force that pushes me sideways, either upon landing as soon as my mains hit the ground, or on departure, after about 40 kias.

At these points the plane vigorously moves to one side or the other depending on wind.

The Carenado Mooney is particularly prone to this phenomenon.

My real world experience is vastly different as far as crosswind takeoffs and landings go.  A few months ago I was practicing with a direct crosswind (something like 20G27) and while the approaches were a little sporty in our mighty musketeer, I was able to safely get the bird on the ground and airborne again.  

This leads me to believe there is some phantom control force or sudden wind acting on my aircraft in MSFS.  Im glad I'm not a flight dynamic developer - there are so many user controller settings that could affect takeoff/landing phase.  Maybe one could help me!  At the moment, real life crosswind is far easier than in the sim.

Oh one more thing.  Realair was the best at creating aircraft that could land in a crosswind.  The Legacy could be put down on a runway in P3D/FSX with a stiff crosswind.  Maybe one day developers will figure out how to make this happen in MSFS.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm with the OP.  There is some phantom force that pushes me sideways, either upon landing as soon as my mains hit the ground, or on departure, after about 40 kias.

At these points the plane vigorously moves to one side or the other depending on wind.

The Carenado Mooney is particularly prone to this phenomenon.

My real world experience is vastly different as far as crosswind takeoffs and landings go.  A few months ago I was practicing with a direct crosswind (something like 20G27) and while the approaches were a little sporty in our mighty musketeer, I was able to safely get the bird on the ground and airborne again.  

This leads me to believe there is some phantom control force or sudden wind acting on my aircraft in MSFS.  Im glad I'm not a flight dynamic developer - there are so many user controller settings that could affect takeoff/landing phase.  Maybe one could help me!  At the moment, real life crosswind is far easier than in the sim.

Oh one more thing.  Realair was the best at creating aircraft that could land in a crosswind.  The Legacy could be put down on a runway in P3D/FSX with a stuff crosswind.  Maybe one day developers will figure out how to make this happen in MSFS.

Yes, there is a known issue with crosswind causing an abnormally stronk weathervane effect on the vertical stab. Nobody is imagining the problem.

Flying sim planes is usually a bit tougher than flying real ones when it comes to subtle control movements, and the runway aspect of MSFS (and most other flight sims) is not great.

The plus side however, is that there is no record of anyone ever having been killed (even slightly) in a stall-spin accident in a simulated aeroplane on a PC. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Same, I had a 22 KT crosswind and tried several times to land and take off and some strange thing was happening in the A320 where I reached the end of the control surfaces authority very early and it just pushed me even if the rudder was fully opposite, ailerons were worthless.  But it was a comic sideways effect.  Almost like I was in the air and there was no account for the traction of the tires.  To me this is just another over done/incorrect effect in MSFS.  It's like the wind is scaled wrong and once you get over 5 knots the effect becomes exponentially ridiculous. 

It's not my yoke or rudder settings.  It's the game itself.

The constant turbulence and yawing and oscillating is annoying.  In my experience - almost 90 hours in single engines, and a flight just last week in a 172- is that the bumpiness tends to be more random, it's like you never hit smooth air in MSFS.  One of the problems of FSs trying to replicate turbulence in general is that turbulence effects in real life are visually very benign. 

I'm disappointed with MSFSs breakthrough modern 1000 point per surface dynamic flight model. It's awkward. 

Edited by aniiran
  • Like 3

It is one of the things Asobo need to attend to.  Hopefully it might be part of the upcoming 'aerodynamics' fixes.

I struggle to keep anything straight on the runway with even just the gentlest of breezes.  Runway behaviour is the part of the sim I dislike the most at the moment.

I have my rudder sensitivity turned down very low so that I am not constantly zig-zagging down the runway, but the sensitivity is so low I now struggle to turn around at the end of a runway.

Most people struggle.  You only have to watch MSFS YouTube videos, of aircraft wandering all over the place on take off and landing, and seemingly without much inertia when they change direction.

Having a thousand blades for aerodynamics in flight is pointless if they don't get ground behaviour right.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I am not a RL pilot, thus I usually hold off judging flight models and such, but the strong drift after touchdown is something making me wonder, too. And it indeed happens pretty much every landing.

Thanks for bringing this up. Did you check there's a corresponding question for the next Q&A (where it should fit into the questions raster, I think)?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Totally agree with the OP. My experience (albeit in the few flying lessons only that I've had) of cross wind landings, is there is nothing like to loss of rudder authority on landing that you get in MSFS at the moment.

At the moment until this is sorted out, I've just set and forget auto-rudder for take off and landing. Maybe I'm a noob but hey...

Ray

10 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Its absolutely nailing a complex approach, FPS is high, sim is smooth but when I touch down with a 9kt crosswind my aircraft veers off the runway like its just been sidewinded by a hurricane!  Grrrr.....I'm no RL pilot but surely a 9kt crosswind should be easier to control than stomping full rudder left or right?

Unfortunately,  the only way to get around it is to use the Take-Off Assist option which stops those violent side-forces.  It's not ideal,  but I find the experience much more satisfying when the sim gives you complete control (basically turns wind off) when on the landing/take-off roll rather than losing complete control, unrealistically.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm not a real pilot but I do a lot of sailing. Apparent wind is what we sail with unless we're stationary.

It seemed to me (because of over the top weathervaning effect on ground and in the air with gusts) that the apparent wind dynamics  hadn't been factored into the game. So that the effects of an "actual wind" gust from say 90 degrees remained at 90 degrees regardless of forward velocity.

I may be wildly wrong but that was my take on it.

......and yes it seems a ridiculous immersion breaker.

• Like 2

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

I made a video about this, in which I convinced myself things were better in MSFS, at least in the default Cessna 172. Perhaps my conclusions were premature, or perhaps they changed something since. However, I did find a very interesting description from PMDG of how FSX (and P3D) ground steering was always broken. Given that MSFS seems to include a lot of legacy code, maybe it's still broken.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I made a video about this, in which I convinced myself things were better in MSFS, at least in the default Cessna 172. Perhaps my conclusions were premature, or perhaps they changed something since. However, I did find a very interesting description from PMDG of how FSX (and P3D) ground steering was always broken. Given that MSFS seems to include a lot of legacy code, maybe it's still broken.

That was an interesting read (for me anyway).
.....and I'm not sure it's entirely a steering issue as described in the link. The weather vaning in the air, in gusts, in normal flight seems way over the top to me even at higher speed in the liners.......would there be enough sick bags to cope? 😉

Edited by GaryK
clarity

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52