Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

How to tell if ISP is Throttling?

I suspect from time to time my ISP is throttling the bandwidth available.

Is there any way to check if that is occurring?

T45

have you tried running a speedtest and comparing the results to the package you buy?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Speedtest is the worst way to check if your ISP is throttling you( they cheat).  The best way is to use a VPN. That way they can't do packet inspection. Also make sure you are using open dns in your router instead of the ISP DNS.

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

42 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

The best way is to use a VPN

Doesn't the VPN slow down your connection?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Just now, edpatino said:

Cheers, Ed

Depends on the encryption you use and your provider. Wireguard is a pretty fast protocol and I have no issue with my 700Mbps connection. I get all of it when I download on steam

In the UK I use Ookla to check.  Speeds do tend to drop a bit in the evening though when everyone comes home from work.  

I must admit, I thought they were throttling me on Sunday,  then I spotted Steam was updating apps in the background, blasted thing.  

I do use 1.1.1.1 as a DNS.  It is quite good.  VPN makes no difference to speeds for me.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

A while ago I made a little freeware app that watches network speeds and data consumption of the running MSFS process. Maybe that will tell you something. You can find the "Lorby Microsoft Flight Simulator Network Monitor" in the DOWNLOADS section of the lorby-si website.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

LORBY-SI

Great! Thanks Lorby!  I will take a look.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Depends on the encryption you use and your provider. Wireguard is a pretty fast protocol and I have no issue with my 700Mbps connection. I get all of it when I download on steam

I use NordVPN, and sometimes it makes the speed going down a bit.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I tried both NordVPN and ExpressVPN and unfortunately the fastest speed I have seen with either is no more than 40Mb (with VPN Off I get over 100Mb). I opened a ticket with both and they came back with a standard response "sorry that's the best we can do" 😞

John

I use Torguard VPN.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, edpatino said:

Cheers, Ed

I tried one of the top rated paid for VPNs to investigate this very issue of throttling and lost about 25% of bandwidth measured without the VPN.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X