Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Quest 2 Update! Everything Has Changed!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"I've always said I prefer the Reverb G2.....That has now changed"

ALSO

"The Reverb G2, that is still my preferred headset for flight simulation."

AND

"You can now go down to 27 fps"

ALSO

"You need a more powerful computer to run the Quest 2 than you can the Reverb G2" (How so???)

More on the visual quality:

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

Unless it's improved the clarity, I still don't think we can read a lot of the gauges without leaning forward or zooming. Got some Q2 at work and will check over next few days

10 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

"I've always said I prefer the Reverb G2.....That has now changed"

ALSO

"The Reverb G2, that is still my preferred headset for flight simulation."

AND

"You can now go down to 27 fps"

ALSO

"You need a more powerful computer to run the Quest 2 than you can the Reverb G2" (How so???)

It all sounds like the overenthusiast youtuber syndrome has hit again.

This in particular is complete bull-garbage:
"You need a more powerful computer to run the Quest 2 than you can the Reverb G2"

• Like 3

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

OMG everything has changed!!!!

OMG you might wanna toss your Rift S iz obsoletez!!!(Been hearing this the past 2 years meanwhile people are still enjoying their CV1s)

OMG look at my smooth performance because of Quest 2 update (flies only over barren countryside in a simple prop plane as compared to a dense cityscape in a complex performance hungry airliner where performance improvements truly show)

Yawn...

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Not a fan of low quality videos like this. They confuse the issue more than they illuminate it. Title of the video (and this thread) is clickbait as well, And I’m saying this as a happy Quest 2 user!

The “Through the lens” one is better, because that presents some actual data.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hahahahahahah!!! 🤭

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

15 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Not a fan of low quality videos like this. They confuse the issue more than they illuminate it.

Indeed they do.

Does Quest2 require a stronger PC over the Reverb G2 ? what's that all about?

I am using Rift CV1 now with Oculus account and do not want to create a Facebook account ever. ..... Can I use Quest2 using my current Oculus account as well?

Will next Oculus update ruin everything again?
Will next nvidia drivers ruin everything again?
Will introduction of DX12 ruin everything again?
Will next mandatory MSFS update ruin everything again?
Will next Windows Update ruin everything again
Will release of PMDG aircraft ruin overall performance?

Will there ever be a status quo in this hobby anyway?

Will there ever be some interesting cirrus clouds in this sim .... sorry, i digress ...

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

12 hours ago, avhpilot said:

Will next Oculus update ruin everything again?
Will next nvidia drivers ruin everything again?
Will introduction of DX12 ruin everything again?
Will next mandatory MSFS update ruin everything again?
Will next Windows Update ruin everything again
Will release of PMDG aircraft ruin overall performance?

Will there ever be a status quo in this hobby anyway?

Will there ever be some interesting cirrus clouds in this sim .... sorry, i digress ...

Possible
same
very likely
is the sky blue?
not really
maybe we'll go from 30 to 28 fps

no

No, they said we don't need cirrus

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Well one thing that I can confirm: with the latest update of Oculus Software I can actually use the Quest 2 now with MSFS2020 VR.  Before this update it was a slide show for me 😉

• Like 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 3/10/2021 at 5:42 PM, Anxu00 said:

Well one thing that I can confirm: with the latest update of Oculus Software I can actually use the Quest 2 now with MSFS2020 VR.  Before this update it was a slide show for me 😉

I don't have VR yet, will soon. From all I have read about them: In the past, the Rift-S gave better framerates than the Q2 but of course lesser resolution. The Rift-S is much easier to set up and get working right.

Those are opinions, some facts:

The Rift-S does NOT have any mechanical interocular adjustment (inter pupillary distance). If you have a wide or narrow face, instead of an average one, then the image will not look right. Everyone has probably seen the old childs toy Viewmaster reel viewers, they did not have IPD adjustment. But modern more expensive 3rd party manufactured ViewMaster reel viewers do. You move the lever and the image suddenly snaps into perfection when the eyepieces are exactly as wide as your pupils. Same thing with common binoculars, move the barrels so the two eyepieces are at the right width apart, and then it will see a much nicer image.

The Reverb G2 has 3 IPD settings  wide, normal, narrow. The Quest 2 is adjustable continuously to exactly match most pupil widths (except for very small children or giants).

The G2 is streetprice $600, The Q2 and Rift-S is $300.

It makes no difference the storage capacity on the Q2 if you are using a PC game. Because those games are not stored in the viewer, but are stored on the computer hardrive and for MSFS also somewhere in the internet cloud (the scenery).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

16 minutes ago, Fielder said:

The Reverb G2 has 3 IPD settings  wide, normal, narrow. The Quest 2 is adjustable continuously to exactly match most pupil widths (except for very small children or giants).

The G2 also has continuously adjustable IPD from 60mm to 68mm, not only 3 settings.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

quest 2 has only 3 settings, but you can kind of sit the lenses between the settings if careful and don't bump the headset. having to move the lenses themselves is a p.i.t.a  and unfortunately it's just one display panel spread across both eyes (not one for each eye)

Edited by dogmanbird

On 3/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, Fielder said:

I don't have VR yet, will soon. From all I have read about them: In the past, the Rift-S gave better framerates than the Q2 but of course lesser resolution. The Rift-S is much easier to set up and get working right.

I own both Quest 2 (and Quest 1), plus Rift S.

I've been using the Quest 2 quite a lot recently for VR flying with Oculus Link, but mainly in P3D/X-plane. Overall, though, I use the Rift-S a lot more as it is more reliable and generates less errors. There's a bit more screen door effect and the colors aren't as good as the Quest 2, but it's worth it for the usability.

For MSFS, I tend to stick to WMR headsets as they are better integrated with the sim and look better to my eyes in this particularly program. I don't use WMR for anything else, just MSFS, and was actually about to sell my HMD before MSFS VR was released.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I own both Quest 2 (and Quest 1), plus Rift S.

I've been using the Quest 2 quite a lot recently for VR flying with Oculus Link, but mainly in P3D/X-plane. Overall, though, I use the Rift-S a lot more as it is more reliable and generates less errors. There's a bit more screen door effect and the colors aren't as good as the Quest 2, but it's worth it for the usability.

For MSFS, I tend to stick to WMR headsets as they are better integrated with the sim and look better to my eyes in this particularly program. I don't use WMR for anything else, just MSFS, and was actually about to sell my HMD before MSFS VR was released.

I have an Odyssey Plus and a G1 Reverb in the closet.

I really need to try them with MSFS. WMR's software just turned me off in the past.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2