48 minutes ago, martin-w said:

On all cores? 

Martin my Man!!

You were a huge help for my current build and got me drinking the Noctua Kool-Aid.  Thanks for your reply here.  Yes, I am planning to overclock and my preference is to stay on the Noctua train if I can without compromising the CPU Temp.

Thanks for your help.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

1 hour ago, europrodave said:

Martin my Man!!

You were a huge help for my current build and got me drinking the Noctua Kool-Aid.  Thanks for your reply here.  Yes, I am planning to overclock and my preference is to stay on the Noctua train if I can without compromising the CPU Temp.

Thanks for your help.

Well Dave, its nice to know I'm useful for something. 🙂

I haven't built my system yet but have the parts. So am not prepared to be definitive. It is the 10900k and yes will be the NH-D15S Chromax Black.  

All I can say at this point is that 5 GHz on all cores with games should be within acceptable temps. 67°C to 77°C with an average of 56°C according to the review I posted. I'm guessing the sim would be averaging about 66 to 70. If you run some super tough stress tests though that run AVX temps may be low 90's. So I would steer clear of the latest AVX 512 etc. But of course, you can set an AVX offset in the BIOS. 

If you have the D15S from your previous build I would just do what I intend to do, give it a bash and see how it copes. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

This guy reckons he got 5.1 GHz and 80 degrees in Cinebench R20 and 74 degrees in R15.  

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Obvious, the biggest factor on how high a CPU can be OC'ed under a NH-D15 is the CPU chip sample quality that's being OC'ed.  I think that's that only thing really hold back the OC of my 10700k, which is sitting under a NH-D15S.  To hit a higher OC would require voltages which I would not be comfortable using anyways, though custom closed-loop water, or a crazy huge (read: loud) AIO would likely handle it.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Well Dave, its nice to know I'm useful for something. 🙂

I haven't built my system yet but have the parts. So am not prepared to be definitive. It is the 10900k and yes will be the NH-D15S Chromax Black.  

All I can say at this point is that 5 GHz on all cores with games should be within acceptable temps. 67°C to 77°C with an average of 56°C according to the review I posted. I'm guessing the sim would be averaging about 66 to 70. If you run some super tough stress tests though that run AVX temps may be low 90's. So I would steer clear of the latest AVX 512 etc. But of course, you can set an AVX offset in the BIOS. 

If you have the D15S from your previous build I would just do what I intend to do, give it a bash and see how it copes. 

I do have my NH- D15S with this current rig but was planning on doing what you are by getting the Chromax Black for this build.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

There's no difference in temp between them, the Chromax is just black. So no reason not to try your old cooler first before buying the Chromax.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, martin-w said:

There's no difference in temp between them, the Chromax is just black. So no reason not to try your old cooler first before buying the Chromax.

I just have a single fan on it currently.  Would you add another one?

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

9 hours ago, europrodave said:

I just have a single fan on it currently.  Would you add another one?

Personally Dave, no I wouldn't. I even took the second fan off my sons NH-D14.

Doesn't matter if its the D15, D14 or D15S... a second fan only makes two degrees diference.

One fan or two, the velocity of the air passing through the cooler remains the same. The only thing that increases slightly with two fans is static pressure.

Same applies to other coolers too. Many aren't aware of how little an extra fan contributes.

Of course, if you don't mind the increase in fan noise for just two degrees go ahead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Personally Dave, no I wouldn't. I even took the second fan off my sons NH-D14.

Doesn't matter if its the D15, D14 or D15S... a second fan only makes two degrees diference.

One fan or two, the velocity of the air passing through the cooler remains the same. The only thing that increases slightly with two fans is static pressure.

Same applies to other coolers too. Many aren't aware of how little an extra fan contributes.

Of course, if you don't mind the increase in fan noise for just two degrees go ahead. 

Understood. I appreciate your input.
What would you recommend RAM wise?

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

I have 32gb Trident Z 3600 Mhz. Its the RGB stuff. Available without RGB. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I have 32gb Trident Z 3600 Mhz. Its the RGB stuff. Available without RGB. 

Is there a difference between 2X16gb compaire3d to 4X8gb?  Other than price?

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

I have the 10900k and NH-D15, and the combo works surprisingly well. However, I have a pretty great case for air-cooling (CoolerMaster ATCS 840 from way back in 2009).

Max temp I've seen on a single core with FS2020 is 84 degC (spike during loading of sim), but the average temp during FS2020 over a 3 hour run is 59 degC with an ambient of 25 degC. Now, keep in mind, I'm GPU limited running FS2020 (RTX 3090 using VR with Reverb G2 with Open XR / TAA = 100/100). Max single core temp during a Cinebench run is 89 degC. Going to an all-core of 5.2 GHz, I see max single core temp of 98 degC during Cinebench, and an average temp of 69 degC during FS2020.

So, it really depends. If you're always CPU limited and want to prolong the life of your 10900k investment, it's probably best to keep the processor at stock with the NH-D15. YMMV.

Oh, and the Asus Maximus Hero XII Z490 is awesome. Love Asus motherboards, been buying them for years.

-Elliot

Edited by Eman
  • Like 1

Intel Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 GHz / Asus Maximus Hero XII / Nvidia RTX 3090 FE / 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB NVMe / Noctua NH-D15 / EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 / Honeycomb Alpha Yoke / CH Pro Pedals / Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant / HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, Eman said:

Oh, and the Asus Maximus Hero XII Z490 is awesome. Love Asus motherboards, been buying them for years.

-Elliot

If I look to me left as I type this... there it is in its box on the floor. 👍

Max temp I've seen on a single core with FS2020 is 84 degC (spike during loading of sim)

These sudden, brief spikes are common it seems these days. Even more prominent with AMD. 

Edited by martin-w

16 hours ago, Eman said:

I have the 10900k and NH-D15, and the combo works surprisingly well. However, I have a pretty great case for air-cooling (CoolerMaster ATCS 840 from way back in 2009).

Max temp I've seen on a single core with FS2020 is 84 degC (spike during loading of sim), but the average temp during FS2020 over a 3 hour run is 59 degC with an ambient of 25 degC. Now, keep in mind, I'm GPU limited running FS2020 (RTX 3090 using VR with Reverb G2 with Open XR / TAA = 100/100). Max single core temp during a Cinebench run is 89 degC. Going to an all-core of 5.2 GHz, I see max single core temp of 98 degC during Cinebench, and an average temp of 69 degC during FS2020.

So, it really depends. If you're always CPU limited and want to prolong the life of your 10900k investment, it's probably best to keep the processor at stock with the NH-D15. YMMV.

-Elliot

Thank you for your valued input Elliot.  Food for thought.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S