Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, europrodave said:

Happy Monday Martin. 
This question has nothing to do with cooling.
Thank you for all your guidance on the forum helping me with my new parts. 
I’m having a challenge getting a hold of a ASUS z490 Hero here in Canada. 
I can get the AORUS equivalent z490 Master but, don’t have any knowledge on it. 
Do you know of this board and did it would be a solid option for my build?

 Thanks in advance and enjoy your day. 
David.  

 

 

Hmm... don't know anything about That board Dave. best thing is to check out the reviews for it. I always buy Asus. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, martin-w said:

 

 

Hmm... don't know anything about That board Dave. best thing is to check out the reviews for it. I always buy Asus. 🙂 

Yeah. Me too. I just need to jump through a few hoops to get it here to Nova Scotia. Silly company won’t ship out of Province so I’m going to get a mate in Ontario pick it up for me and ship it he can ship it. 
I’m in no rush to compromise on components. 
Thanks Martin. 


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, europrodave said:

Yeah. Me too. I just need to jump through a few hoops to get it here to Nova Scotia. Silly company won’t ship out of Province so I’m going to get a mate in Ontario pick it up for me and ship it he can ship it. 
I’m in no rush to compromise on components. 
Thanks Martin. 

Just had a look at the reviews on that board look decent.  However, its a £400 motherboard, no idea what that works out to in your currency, but seems completely OTT.  

I used to use Gigabyte boards religiously, but they seem to have become ridiculously priced (along with some of Asus').  I personally have used MSI for the last few years, and have found them to be great value and reliable.  Personally I would be looking at https://www.google.com/search?q=msi+z490+tomahawk&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB879GB879&sxsrf=ALeKk02PIvKgXDrANxjXp5E3UX0SM4OXQQ%3A1617029669054&ei=JephYM7bArHT1fAPi7yZ6AE&oq=msi+z490+tomahawk&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBAgjECcyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6CggjELADEMkDECc6BwgAELADEEM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BggAEBYQHlC_JVibM2DfOWgCcAJ4AIABX4gBiAWSAQE4mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiOgo_44NXvAhWxaRUIHQteBh0Q4dUDCA0&uact=5

  • Like 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5600X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, Zotac RTX3070 OC, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, motherboards have certainly shot up in price. Not sure why, whether it's companies charging more because they can get away with it, or if its related to the component shortages. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should mention, Noctua are planning to release the successor to the D15 this year. The NH-D16 I'm presuming it will be called. 

New 140 fans too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, martin-w said:

 

 

Hmm... don't know anything about That board Dave. best thing is to check out the reviews for it. I always buy Asus. 🙂 

Ended up going with the Asus Rog Maximus Hero XIII. Happy I’m staying with something I know and trust. 


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, europrodave said:

Ended up going with the Asus Rog Maximus Hero XIII. Happy I’m staying with something I know and trust. 

 

A great board by all accounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 7:54 AM, martin-w said:

 

A great board by all accounts. 

Hey Martin. What would you suggest RAM wise Speed and brand?


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really like GSkill to be honest. I have 32 Gb of Trident Z RGB, lined up for my next build. 3600 MHz  None RGB is of course available. Lowest latency you can afford.  🙂

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, europrodave said:

Ended up going with the Asus Rog Maximus Hero XIII. Happy I’m staying with something I know and trust. 

Any particular reason why you didn't go for its predecessor, the Hero XII?
I am asking this because I am contemplating the Hero XII for my move (back) to Intel and am wondering if the newer Hero XIII is worth the higher price for a 10900k CPU, since some upgrades like the 4th Nvme slot and PCIe 4.0 are just for the 11900k CPU.


Flightsim PC:
AMD 3900x (stock) with Scythe Mugen 5 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB Nvme SSD | Corsair RM850x PSU | Fractal Define 7 XL case
Output: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 Gsync | Logitech Z906 speakerset
Controllers: Wooting 2 keyboard | Logitech Mouse | Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Any particular reason why you didn't go for its predecessor, the Hero XII?
I am asking this because I am contemplating the Hero XII for my move (back) to Intel and am wondering if the newer Hero XIII is worth the higher price for a 10900k CPU, since some upgrades like the 4th Nvme slot and PCIe 4.0 are just for the 11900k CPU.

Why not just drop a 5900x or similar into your existing system?


P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5600X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, Zotac RTX3070 OC, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlatan said:

Why not just drop a 5900x or similar into your existing system?

Because unfortunately my AMD system is impossible to get stable with MSFS. It is rockstable even with heavy use (encoding video for 24 hours is painless but for MSFS it is not. Sofar I have nearly 160 CTD's logged for MSFS and have spend weeks troubleshooting. It looks like it could be USB related but sometimes MSFS crashes even with only keyboard and mouse connected.

I am nearly done with this system. Have tried most if not all suggestions on severa fora, disabled PBO entirely, switched back to PCIe 3.0, different bioses, drivers, videocards etc. but it keeps CTD'ing, but only with MSFS. Reinstalling MSFS and even Windows did not help either. Memory checks out OK.

I have built several systems myself but mostly Intel systems. My last AMD build was 15 years ago and it gave me headaches. I hoped it would be different this time around...

I have no guarantee though that spending money on a new Intel built will solve my issues but I am out of options. With 90% of my flights ending in a CTD and after months of troubleshooting I am quite out of patience.
Right now I am nearly at the point of buying Intel now, or wait for Alderlake and stop flightsimming in the mean time. I could also go back to FSX off course, but I haven't tried it on this AMD built yet and it seems like going backwards.


Flightsim PC:
AMD 3900x (stock) with Scythe Mugen 5 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB Nvme SSD | Corsair RM850x PSU | Fractal Define 7 XL case
Output: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 Gsync | Logitech Z906 speakerset
Controllers: Wooting 2 keyboard | Logitech Mouse | Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

Any particular reason why you didn't go for its predecessor, the Hero XII?
I am asking this because I am contemplating the Hero XII for my move (back) to Intel and am wondering if the newer Hero XIII is worth the higher price for a 10900k CPU, since some upgrades like the 4th Nvme slot and PCIe 4.0 are just for the 11900k CPU.

I wanted to however, where I live, it was actually less expensive to get the XIII than the XII. Even on line.  I probably could have eventually bought the XII but I would have had to jump through too many hoops to do so. 

  • Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Because unfortunately my AMD system is impossible to get stable with MSFS. It is rockstable even with heavy use (encoding video for 24 hours is painless but for MSFS it is not. Sofar I have nearly 160 CTD's logged for MSFS and have spend weeks troubleshooting. It looks like it could be USB related but sometimes MSFS crashes even with only keyboard and mouse connected.

I am nearly done with this system. Have tried most if not all suggestions on severa fora, disabled PBO entirely, switched back to PCIe 3.0, different bioses, drivers, videocards etc. but it keeps CTD'ing, but only with MSFS. Reinstalling MSFS and even Windows did not help either. Memory checks out OK.

I have built several systems myself but mostly Intel systems. My last AMD build was 15 years ago and it gave me headaches. I hoped it would be different this time around...

I have no guarantee though that spending money on a new Intel built will solve my issues but I am out of options. With 90% of my flights ending in a CTD and after months of troubleshooting I am quite out of patience.
Right now I am nearly at the point of buying Intel now, or wait for Alderlake and stop flightsimming in the mean time. I could also go back to FSX off course, but I haven't tried it on this AMD built yet and it seems like going backwards.

Wow!!  How frustrating. 


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, martin-w said:

I really like GSkill to be honest. I have 32 Gb of Trident Z RGB, lined up for my next build. 3600 MHz  None RGB is of course available. Lowest latency you can afford.  🙂

Would you go 2 X 16 or 4 X 8?


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...