Sign in to follow this  
13ifs40

Is this sim worth it yet?

Good Afternoon all

So i just got a brand new cyberpower computer and i was wondering is MSFS 2020 worth buying now and upgrading as the future moves forward or waiting until next year when the sim has had some time to mature.

Right now in my opinion it is just eye candy and lacks functionality

I know that alot of the heavy iron add ons won't be ready till end of this year or next year and all i would be doing is hitting the upgrade button till then 

every and all opinions would be welcome

thanks for your help in advance

13ifs40

When everything works, yes, when something doesn't work, No

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

2 minutes ago, 13ifs40 said:

Right now in my opinion it is just eye candy and lacks functionality

What's the point of the thread then? Seems like you already have your own conclusion on the subject.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 7

Juan Ramos

Basically if you require any serious rnav (gps) navigation look elsewhere.  (The WorkingTitle CJ4 free mod will do it).  But if you don't mind flying the needles and or enjoy VFR it's decent.  There are still some flight model annoyances (like crosswind landings) and live weather issues (some people say it won't match reality like me).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It will be after 4pm today.

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes it's worth it. I waited until recently myself. It's pretty awesome. On my high end rig it runs extremely smoothly at ultra settings even in super dense areas like nyc. It's very stable, no ctds. And vr is also loads of fun. There have been several moments that I've literally screamed "wow this is awesome!" 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You yourself are asking for an opinion, and each one of us is free to issue it, so it is worth investing in this new generation of simulation, it is not just eye candy, every day that this simulator passes us in good surprises. The developer, first of all, welcomes and respects the customers' wishes. The whole community participates in these improvements with a lot of democracy. I am very satisfied.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

For me yes.

For you, I have no idea!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

For VFR / bush missions I'd say most def. worth it. I'm having a blast with this sim. If you can overlook some shortcomings in handling (as @ryanbatcund pointed out), you're in for a treat.

And it is starting to gain momentum in IFR /complex airliner operations with the CJ4 / FBW A320 and upcoming CRJ package from Aerosoft. Still miles to go before it can rival P3D though.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Worth it. The mods make the Longitude, CJ4 and TBM worth the price of admission. Without the mods I would have already been bored with it. It would be another steam app gathering dust to occasionally fire up.

Regards

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

Worth it defiantly! It is like a roller coaster ride and many here will agree, we are like paid beta testers for MSFS. But hey, I am happy with that, seeing it evolving and the constant feedback we give to Asobo/Microsoft. Sure, sometimes it drives us crazy like updates break things (I hope it won't be the case any longer) or online service goes down or causes CTDs (Bing maps issues for example), but that is part of the journey anyway and we are sure, it will get better.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

No its not.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes, it's worth it. If this one doesn't fully fill your expectations, it's always possible to use some other available simulators on the market. This isn't forbidden, you know?

'Right now in my opinion it is just eye candy and lacks functionality'

Yikes!  Not a good start in a forum where people love the sim in general, as much as we go on about certain deficiencies and bugs! 😀 
And the 'just eye candy' thing is getting a bit tiresome now.

The eye candy is certainly there in bucket loads if you want, better than any other sim I have seem for global coverage, but the sim is plenty more than that; it just needs improvement as it goes along (it is just 8 months after release after all).

So, if your expectation is for completed software, and you like following exact checklists and pushing buttons in cockpits for hours, no, P3D is for you, otherwise, it is an absolute blast!

I bought the premium version, and as much as I complain about some of the issues, I think it is worth every penny, even in its current state.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.