Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Is “Full Screen” actually full screen?

I had read earlier that MSFS2020 wasn’t actually true full screen, but actually a borderless window.

For the purposes of G-Sync, is the graphics option in the sim for “Full Screen” actually full screen, or do I need to leave the G-Sync setting on “enable for windowed and full screen” in the nVidia control panel?

You are quite correct. It is running in borderless window mode.  I don't know the technicalities of it as I am not lucky enough (or probably rich enough) to have a lovely G-Sync display.  However, a few of the guys seem to run it alright.

@Ianrivaldosmith knows what he is talking about and may be able to give you some guidance on it.  Hopefully he will pop into the thread  to offer some advice.

If he mentions his RTX 3090, just ignore that bit! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

You might want to read the following for more information about this, and more:

My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2 - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

TL;DR: I do set if for both windowed and full screen because it is a border less full screen window indeed. It is possible latest WDM is able to make a full screen border less window "behaving" as if it was a full screen exclusive window for which "full screen only" would suffice, but in doubt...

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

33 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I had read earlier that MSFS2020 wasn’t actually true full screen, but actually a borderless window.

For the purposes of G-Sync, is the graphics option in the sim for “Full Screen” actually full screen, or do I need to leave the G-Sync setting on “enable for windowed and full screen” in the nVidia control panel?

A borderless window taking up all the screen, that kind of is full screen. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

44 minutes ago, Chock said:

A borderless window taking up all the screen, that kind of is full screen. 🤣

There is a difference.

Windows treats full screen and a borderless window differently, hence my question. 

I know that, it was a joke. 😉

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

25 minutes ago, Chock said:

Awww. You flopped on that one Chock.  You have broken your winning streak now, like Man C. :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

17 hours ago, Chock said:

Hard to tell in a forum post. 😂

18 hours ago, RXP said:

You might want to read the following for more information about this, and more:

My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2 - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

TL;DR: I do set if for both windowed and full screen because it is a border less full screen window indeed. It is possible latest WDM is able to make a full screen border less window "behaving" as if it was a full screen exclusive window for which "full screen only" would suffice, but in doubt...

Oh boy, so now the recommendation is to set v-sync to “fast” instead of “on” in nVidia control panel. I can’t keep up with the moving goal posts. 

20 hours ago, neil0311 said:

It's actual full screen since UK update. GSync kicks in even if disabled for windowed mode.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

It's actual full screen since UK update. GSync kicks in even if disabled for windowed mode.

How can I confirm that? How do you know it G-Sync is actually working?

10 hours ago, neil0311 said:

How can I confirm that? How do you know it G-Sync is actually working?

I can check the refresh rate in the monitor OSD and it changes several times per second. And of course because of the flickering when there are stutters... but that's a monitor "feature", not MSFS fault. I use 100% VR in these days anyway.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

From my limited understanding on the matter, the game used flip sequential. Now it uses lip discard. Which mimics true full screen. Hence why G-Sync now works without windowed mode selected. 

You can check that G-Sync is running or not, because the monitors HZ should match your FPS. 

To verify whether G-SYNC is enabled for your game, click Display from the NVIDIA Control Panel menu bar, then select Show indicator for G-SYNC. The indicator will appear on your screen to let you know whether G-SYNC is turned on.

• Like 2