Sign in to follow this  
MM

Awful Awful Awful

Downloaded and installed the small and then the large updates from Microsoft Store this morning. Things were just fine. I then went back to work. Now (5 hours later) I start up the simulator. It is numbered 1.14.5.0 as it should be after the update. But the program checks for updates and wants me to install the new update! What is going on?

The program has the right (updated) number written into the Windows border at the top. But it wants to reinstall. Does it make sense to install twice?

Perhaps these fellows might hire a professional team to manage the software programs...

(Sorry to vent. But I've been doing this for 25 years and have never seen such an inept performance.)

--M

• Like 6

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

There was an issue this morning and they forget to include the FSX Liveries. This is why you got a 2nd update of 1.9gb

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Thanks much, Claude. Happy news.
(With your explanation, I concede that this is no longer the worst performance that I've seen.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Yes I have been walking down to the church and lighting candles to pray for Emerald Gold liveries, not. 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On some days I'm not so disappointed that my graphics card blew up two months ago and I'm missing all this fun with the new simulator! 😛

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MM said:

With your explanation, I concede that this is no longer the worst performance that I've seen.

Wait until you discover the scope of the long promised "Garmin update" 😉

Edit: maybe they forgot to include it as well... here is to hoping..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 6

Bert

I've been watching and reading various horror stories about MSFS since it was released and have yet to see any reason to shift away from one of the older complex working simulators.  Apparently, if one likes to drill holes in the sky while enjoying the scenery without worrying about detailed routes, transitions and approaches, MSFS is OK (if the latest update doesn't kill it).  I might as well go out to my local airport and rent a 172 and do the same.  But I would rather immerse myself in the details of route planning, payloads and the other technical aspects of real flight and duplicate them as close as possible while flying a simulated complex aircraft over long distances.  Maybe I'm wrong but until I see forum comments praising the technical details of MSFS2020, I'll use something else.

Jim Driskell

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

21 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

I've been watching and reading various horror stories about MSFS since it was released and have yet to see any reason to shift away from one of the older complex working simulators.  Apparently, if one likes to drill holes in the sky while enjoying the scenery without worrying about detailed routes, transitions and approaches, MSFS is OK (if the latest update doesn't kill it).  I might as well go out to my local airport and rent a 172 and do the same.  But I would rather immerse myself in the details of route planning, payloads and the other technical aspects of real flight and duplicate them as close as possible while flying a simulated complex aircraft over long distances.  Maybe I'm wrong but until I see forum comments praising the technical details of MSFS2020, I'll use something else.

Jim Driskell

Thanks for your concern

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

10 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Maybe I'm wrong but until I see forum comments praising the technical details of MSFS2020, I'll use something else.

Jim Driskell

Thank you for the challenge Major.  I have purchased and flown in FS9, FSX, P3D v2,v3,v4,v5, and MSFS 2020.  Having flown this sim since August 2020, I have NO intentions or desires to return to any prior simulator.  During the past 7 months, I have encountered a few issues and with help from other simmers, forums, google, etc, I have resolved each one.  I consider myself fortunate to smoothly fly thru each sim update.  I have never removed any file from the Community folder prior to updating and I feel confident there are many like me.

Yes I am praising the technical details of this complex 7 month old simulator and I have nothing but excitement when I think of its future expansion with third party developers adding complex aircraft, sceneries, environment improvements, etc .  

Thank you Microsoft/Asobo for bringing us this simulator and I look forward to your next improvement ! 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

Same boat here, except mine never completes the update in the sim, it just keeps downloading failing, downloading, failing on the same file over and over and over and over. Probably did that 10 or 15X on the first file, finally completed the first file and now it's doing the same on the second file. At my age I don't have that many years left, and was hoping to use MSFS again before I die...alas it appears as though I probably won't outlast the update process.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

Jim Driskell

Jim, Join me for a cup of coffee at my local airport, KESN in Easton, Maryland.........   It is a significant regional GA airport/jetport with a great cafe that is perfect for $100 hamburger or pancake runs...  Oh! In real life!

image.png.89cba6e8784600b6ce81243b7e5f9330.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I've been watching and reading various horror stories about MSFS

Thanks for sharing.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, CavalierDuck said:

On some days I'm not so disappointed that my graphics card blew up two months ago and I'm missing all this fun with the new simulator! 😛

Wait, did you say your GPU "blew up"!? If it indeed exploded, please share 🙂 more details.

23 minutes ago, JJ_ said:

Wait, did you say your GPU "blew up"!? If it indeed exploded, please share 🙂 more details.

Fortunately I was speaking figuratively and not literally. One of the fans had died and temperatures headed skywards.  The safety shutdown prevented the situation from getting a lot more exciting. But with the current graphics card supply issues, it doesn't look as though a high performance replacement will be coming along any time soon. 😒

Longfellow about MSFS:

When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

• Like 2

Paul Skol