Sign in to follow this  
zootsuit

Golden Age Simulations Kinner B-2 Sportwing - now free

Hi all,

I typically lurk and enjoy listening to you guys but I thought this was worth a share [I have searched and cant find this on the forum]

The B-2 Sportwing was released Monday on Simmarket and after some unsavoury reviews, the dev decided to refund everyone and make it freeware instead.

A good showing from the dev in my book, it has its issues but if you are interested in aircraft from that era you can grab it free here https://www.payloadz.com/d1/?id=3371157

Enjoy!

136986063_3918819781471414_4789711315921

Edited by zootsuit
added photo
  • Like 4

In fact quite a lot of Golden Age stuff ports into MSFS no problem for those who have some of their products.

Here's their fairly recent P3D Stearman in MSFS:

rFpyGsa.png

And here's their Phantom:

PhblhDD.png

I am hoping they tart these up a bit and release them as native MSFS products, as I would certainly buy them again to have the fun stuff such as the inertia starter crank on the Stearman working in MSFS. And if they could get their Autogyro working in MSFS, that'd be the ideal exploration aeroplane for the sim.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just acquired & a delight to fly.

Single piston putters away & it is quite suitable for low & slow flight.

Like the Art Deco? era liveries.

T45

g-1.jpg

g-2.jpg

• Like 3

Looks nice!  What were the complaints about it when it was on sale?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

52 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Looks nice!  What were the complaints about it when it was on sale?

Given that it's from GAS, my guess would be complaints about the quality of texturing.  They make some really nice planes, but they could look rather out of place in the MSFS world, especially on the inside.   Heck, they looked pretty out of place in the P3D world.   That's not meant as a slam on them:  I own a number of GAS products, they're fun things no one else would make, and they're honest about what they are.  But you know how much some folks get riled up about things like that.

Edit:  Yeah, here's the official forum thread about it, which went down about as I'd expect.   GAS say they're going to be putting it in the SOH library, and on the freeware section of their website, but if, in the interim, anyone wants it and doesn't want to feed their email address to that dodgy looking "payloadz" site, send me a PM.

(Payloadz appears to be a legit payment processor and delivery platform, just with a rather unfortunate name and style, but I know some folks object to giving away their email needlessly, and sympathize.)

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

Given that it's from GAS, my guess would be complaints about the quality of texturing.  They make some really nice planes, but they could look rather out of place in the MSFS world, especially on the inside.  

I have quite a few of the GAS planes and I always found their panels in FSX/P3D somewhat underwhelming. Funny thing is, once ported over to MSFS, at least in my case they look much much better now.

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

8 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

I have quite a few of the GAS planes and I always found their panels in FSX/P3D somewhat underwhelming. Funny thing is, once ported over to MSFS, at least in my case they look much much better now.

Surely its that Picasso touch you apply to the panels that lift them from the ordinary!.😀

& the burr walnut! You must have a ton of that stuff. Which, BTW, would look good in the Kinner.

But I agree, the GAS interiors have tended not to quite match the interiors. I hope they persevere in MSFS, they bring some charming aircraft to the market in other sims.

T45

• Like 1

For those that like this genre, and are a little more adventurous, I always liked Craig Richardsons work. His later stuff seems more like payware, and it will port, with a little work, just fine into MSFS. The Dart Kitten is an example, and just needed some help with the glass. The Camel is exceptional too. But they have to be FSX native.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

13 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

Surely its that Picasso touch you apply to the panels that lift them from the ordinary!.😀

& the burr walnut! You must have a ton of that stuff. Which, BTW, would look good in the Kinner.

But I agree, the GAS interiors have tended not to quite match the interiors. I hope they persevere in MSFS, they bring some charming aircraft to the market in other sims.

T45

I thought I edited the post - should read 'interiors have tended not to quite match the exteriors'.

But the interiors do have some quirky assets, such as the fob watch in the Kinner, & a leather Pilot's case in some of the P3D's.

TTM

On 3/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, Treetops45 said:

Just acquired & a delight to fly.

Single piston putters away & it is quite suitable for low & slow flight.

Like the Art Deco? era liveries.

T45

I was able to dump the chocks, but how did you get rid of the tie-downs?? Mine are quite persistant. - very embarrasing!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

29 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I was able to dump the chocks, but how did you get rid of the tie-downs?? Mine are quite persistant. - very embarrasing!

I hot load  mine & it loads without the chocks & tie downs.😀

The install placed a GAS-Kinner manual on my screen. In it it says to do a exterior inspection & 'remove wheel chocks & tie downs'

[ok, see bottom of p9 & top of p10. You do some configuring within MSFS]

T45

Edited by Treetops45

30 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

I hot load  mine & it loads without the chocks & tie downs.😀

The install placed a GAS-Kinner manual on my screen. In it it says to do a exterior inspection & 'remove wheel chocks & tie downs'

[ok, see bottom of p9 & top of p10. You do some configuring within MSFS]

T45

thanks, i will look at it closer

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Downloaded this. Probably would have paid for it.  

It is not going to appeal to the study level crowd but for me it is a perfect addition to my low and slow collection.

One benefit of the textures they complained about is it is great for frame rates.  I have almost never seen it drop below 51 or 52 FPS on my system.

Short video with frame rate counter enabled:

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

So I downloaded this plane. I love the look and the cockpit. Unfortunately , when I give it full throttle, it only goes to 1500 RPM. I tried different planes and they all react normally. I tried re-calibrating the throttle axis and that didn't help either. I messed with the fuel tanks and mixture...no joy. Even in the video in the above post the rpm's  are 1500. Is it supposed to be this way?

Any idea what's going on? I would love to fly this plane but it's unusable if I can't get full throttle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT...REF file says 1500rpm's  sure seems low

Edited by mikegrr

I don't see any big problems with this thing, sound is very pleasing for sure. It's just an old, low powered early mono-wing. Just perfect for a lazy flight on a Sunday afternoon. Never aspired to Piaggio heights.

• Like 1