Sign in to follow this  
Ixoye

Tree distance fix is no longer compatible.

1 minute ago, Flic1 said:

Seeing as to how you have to reduce this setting to under 100 (mine had to be at 80) to resolve the horrendous stuttering issues in the latest SimUpdate....I am going to guess this will not work for most!!

This ONLY work with disabling other things I mentioned "

• All traffic off
  • Using converted FSX airplane to gain additional 10 to 15 FPS.

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

5 minutes ago, guibru said:

With what is going to happen in MSFS this year, you will quickly change your mind. I say that, I say nothing. 

Very cryptic Guibru.  Do you care to say more?  Good or bad?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 minutes ago, BaronKen said:

I am not a proponent of big time conspiracy theories, but I am at a loss to explain why a decision was made at a high level to tank the tree lod workaround that has allowed everyone who wanted it to enjoy it's immersive benefits and what it brings to the table.

I am quite sure that this is a wrong assumption. I doubt very much that there was "high level decision" to sabotage the workaround mod. I think they decided to change the method calculating the tree lod (not based on tree height anymore, for example) and had no interest in any mods out there.

• Like 2

You misunderstood my comment: I am saying I don't believe a decision was made at a high level to tank the mod either; simply saying I don't see why a change was implemented that eliminated the effectiveness of the tree lod mod to begin with. With all the issues facing various aspects of the sim, I don't see why tree lod distances was even being messed with at this point.

• Like 2

Ken

36 minutes ago, BijanStudio said:

Using converted FSX airplane to gain additional 10 to 15 FPS.

This is unacceptable for a $120 sim....ridiculous actually, but I hear ya🍻

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

2 minutes ago, BaronKen said:

You misunderstood my comment: I am saying I don't believe a decision was made at a high level to tank the mod either; simply saying I don't see why a change was implemented that eliminated the effectiveness of the tree lod mod to begin with. With all the issues facing various aspects of the sim, I don't see why tree lod distances was even being messed with at this point.

Ah, ok, I think you should have used a "would have been" instead of a "was". 😉

In another thread someone said that Asobo might have implemented (maybe by accident)  parts of future code to alter the tree depiction. Remember that they said they have a new, much faster method, allowing for many more trees, that would be introduced with DX12. Might be wishful thinking on my part but this is all leading to something wonderful. OK, that was a bit over the top.

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I hope competition (X-Plane, P3D, etc) can get competitive again with some agreements with Google Earth for global scenery.  As of now they are so far behind sadly even in FS’s current state their behind.

Not behind at all in a few select areas. If you want a study-level modern airliner, you fly P3D. If you want the best helicopter modeling, you fly X-Plane or DCS.

Unfortunately we're now spoiled with the MS/Asobo streaming approach for high definition scenery that doesn't have to take up massive local hard drive space. It can make it hard to "go back" to one of these other flight sims.

Personally, it doesn't bother me too much to fly XP for helicopters when I'm more interested in the dynamics of the flight modeling, and practicing my "dancing on a rubber ball" hovering technique so I can stick a landing. The scenery isn't THAT horrible, and it keeps me patient, keeps me from tearing my hair out about the status of MSFS while waiting for it to get better.

And it has to get better, right? I don't see MS pulling the plug any time soon. From all indications, they seem to think it's a raging success. As long as development is continuing, there's hope. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

But do even say, two or three people playtest a patch build in the office and say "Yeah, this looks and feels good, let's get this out of the door" ?  Does even one person do that?   

I haven't had such ugly, unfulfilling, stuttery flights since the MSFS first released.  Okay, maybe I'm acting spoilt and petulant by wanting the sim from pre-release back, but anyone with a bit of sim experience could see this is a step backwards about half an hour in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BijanStudio said:

I am doing some workaround to see how I can get the best of current tree LOD situation until it gets fixed.

Of course this may not be or work for everyone. You can try this with the free tree lod most of you have to see if it works for you.

So far here is my results:

• LOD set to 600 (you can lower this if your fps goes below 30.) I tried 700 but it a bit too much.
  • Tree and clouds are set to ultra.
  • All traffic off
  • Using converted FSX airplane to gain additional 10 to 15 FPS.

Result:

Pros: Flying over Los Angeles with over 30 FPS, smooth, no pop up, no stutter, sharp terrains, trees can be seen as far as 30 miles ( I did the calculation).

Cons:  No cockpit panel, no traffic.
I can live without these until it gets fixed.

Screenshots:

GmnBoiN.png

I cannot reproduce your tree visibility range. Flying in other areas whit many trees, I barely reach 10 maybe 12 nautic miles over Vancouver Island, the measurement is based on the G3000 distance rings. LOD is set to 600.

It is also essential to modify the "10-asobo_species.xml", without, it does not matter if LOD is 600 or 200. I'm using the old "Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix" for this purpose. I also found that LOD 600 is very heavy (> 25 GB) on memory and on fps. LOD 450 or 400 is enough. With adapted visibility settings (120-150) in the "Trees_Distance_Draw" I can see trees as far as 10 nm as well with a much lower impact in memory (still above 20 GB).

It is still not perfect but much better as the default 4-5 nm visibilty ring. I was testing with clear skies at 4500 ft in Tofino area Vancouver Island. With a bit lower visibility weather conditions this tweaks are sufficient for me.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, crimplene said:

Remember that they said they have a new, much faster method, allowing for many more trees, that would be introduced with DX12. 

Yes, I remember this was mentioned by Seb ( I believe) in the Q & A last month. I think he said something on the order of 4x trees and 2x memory improvement, to be specific, was coming with the DX12 implementation. While that sounds great and hopefully is true, it's beyond me why you would make a code change about 4-6 months before you're going to actually make the switch to DX12, and screw up the sim in the meantime. Would you not wait until you actually make the switchover?

I am not an Asobo basher; I love this sim and have been and do enjoy it immensely. Sometimes, though, things they do just makes you shake your head....

• Like 1

Ken

At this rate I have ZERO desire to purchase any 3rd party payware.

Knowing these updates just may break them....feels like P3D all over again.

No thanks!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I cannot reproduce your tree visibility range. Flying in other areas whit many trees, I barely reach 10 maybe 12 nautic miles over Vancouver Island, the measurement is based on the G3000 distance rings. LOD is set to 600.

It is also essential to modify the "10-asobo_species.xml", without, it does not matter if LOD is 600 or 200. I'm using the old "Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix" for this purpose. I also found that LOD 600 is very heavy on memory and on fps. LOD 450 or 400 is enough. With adapted visibility settings (120-150) in the "Trees_Distance_Draw" I can see trees as far as 10 nm as well with a much lower impact in memory.

It is still not perfect but much better as the default 4-5 nm visibilty ring. I was testing with clear skies at 4500 ft in Tofino area Vancouver Island. With a bit lower visibility weather conditions this tweaks are sufficient for me.

10 to 12 is not bad at all.

My 10-asobo_species.xml is already edited since I am using my own seasons mod  for it. Maybe that's why I see more trees in distance. 200 will not show me that far. I found the right number for my system which was above 35 fps at 600 LOD. Every PC is different. I tried 700 but it was too much.

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

2 minutes ago, BijanStudio said:

10 to 12 is not bad at all.

My 10-asobo_species.xml is already edited since I am using my own seasons mod  for it. Maybe that's why I see more trees in distance. 200 will not show me that far. I found the right number for my system which was above 35 fps at 600 LOD. Every PC is different. I tried 700 but it was too much.

Did you update your add-on already on simmarket? What visibility range would you get with LOD 400. If you don't mind, you may test on Vancouver Island.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).