Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Feeding a 3090

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

If you have any frame-rate limiters on, it will often report the limit is CPU even when it's really GPU. You probably already know this, just noting it.

If I'm seeing under the frame limit, and GPU is not at 98%+ load then I know it's waiting on the CPU to feed it 

10 minutes ago, sluflyer06 said:

If I'm seeing under the frame limit, and GPU is not at 98%+ load then I know it's waiting on the CPU to feed it 

Gotcha. The 11900 would be the simplest upgrade for you, it will work in some motherboards without changing the board. Not sure it will help much, but it may make some difference in 4k with that video card. If it's like the new Ryzens, it may be 2 months or so after release before the motherboards offer a new BIOS flash to support the CPU, but it is supposed to work on several older boards. It's supposed to be out any day now though.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

fps

Found this though too:
From what we can see, the Intel Core i9 11900K performs slower, than the Core i9 10900 in Cyberpunk 2077, Shadow of the Tomb Rader. Cyberpunk 2077 can be a really heavy-CPU game (with High crowd), and eight cores may simply not be enough, even for gaming at 1080p. Our Intel i9 9900K was also maxed out when playing it at lower resolutions. As such, these results do not really shock us as – in its current state – the game needs a lot of CPU power. Similarly, Shadow of the Tomb Raider benefits from CPUs that have a lot of CPU cores/threads.

I'm guessing the 11900 would be a tiny bit faster in MSFS since higher per core performance, but not much, probably not worth it.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

8 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

fps

Found this though too:
From what we can see, the Intel Core i9 11900K performs slower, than the Core i9 10900 in Cyberpunk 2077, Shadow of the Tomb Rader. Cyberpunk 2077 can be a really heavy-CPU game (with High crowd), and eight cores may simply not be enough, even for gaming at 1080p. Our Intel i9 9900K was also maxed out when playing it at lower resolutions. As such, these results do not really shock us as – in its current state – the game needs a lot of CPU power. Similarly, Shadow of the Tomb Raider benefits from CPUs that have a lot of CPU cores/threads.

I'm guessing the 11900 would be a tiny bit faster in MSFS since higher per core performance, but not much, probably not worth it.

Intel 11th Gen is not the answer... An extensive review of a retail 11700k was published on Friday.  The added core-to-core latency kills any advantage the added IPC was going to offer, making it perform the same or worse than 10th gen in most cases.  And it was running very hot and consuming twice the power of the 5800x.  The 11900k will only be worse in this regard, and its added 200Mhz will matter not.  I'm not going to reward Intel for this effort with any of my money.

I think the 5800x is probably going to be the best you can do for now as far as CPU goes.

AMD also seems to perform 5-10% better with 4 RAM sticks vs 2 which means an upgrade to 64GB might be worth it on that platform.  

And then there's the added performance from going to a PCIe 4.0 m.2 drive (double the storage I/O of my current SSD)... and that has to matter for something, at least in terms of load times.

I think I'm going 5800x, 64GB (4x16), 1TB PCIe 4 and see what happens.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

3 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

And then there's the added performance from going to a PCIe 4.0 m.2 drive (double the storage I/O of my current SSD)... and that has to matter for something, at least in terms of load times.

I think I'm going 5800x, 64GB (4x16), 1TB PCIe 4 and see what happens.

I’m planning an upgrade and am of the same mind. Been loyal to intel for over 10 years now and was waiting for the 11th gen to upgrade but think it’s going to end up being AMD

• Like 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

If it were me and i was insistent on upgrading and i had no limitations as to what cpu i was using i would simply wait till the launch day reviews come out. As far as im concerned anyone can concoct a graph. Anandtech at least has the "retail" cpu in hand but even then i would wait for official release and the onslaught of reviews on launch day than going off leaked charts pre release.

Whole bunch of leaking going on.

Right now i decided on the platform  from last year and im overall very happy with my 5900x/6800xt so no more upgrades for me unless the upgrade can substantially increase fps or improve and smooth out frame time for the sim.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

18 minutes ago, simon747 said:

If you are in 4k, it is all pretty pointless CPU wise.

What do you mean?

If you are in 4k, you are generally GPU bound in most areas.  0-5% improvement in certain CPU-bound areas really won't convert to a worthy  CPU upgrade in terms of an FPS increase if you are using 4k and have a 9 series, 10 series overclocked to around 5 ghz as they generate similar gaming fps, regardless of core count. 

This graph is not 1080p to show a true CPU comparison, but gives some idea at 2k. 

rho8-Nktth-J4i-Xaa-Ly-UZMa-D-970-80.png

Edited by simon747

Simon

26 minutes ago, simon747 said:

If you are in 4k, you are generally GPU bound in most areas.  0-5% improvement in certain CPU-bound areas really won't convert to a worthy  CPU upgrade in terms of an FPS increase if you are using 4k and have a 9 series, 10 series overclocked to around 5 ghz as they generate similar gaming fps, regardless of core count. 

This graph is not 1080p to show a true CPU comparison, but gives some idea at 2k. 

rho8-Nktth-J4i-Xaa-Ly-UZMa-D-970-80.png

I didn't get near that bump even that this graph shows. From a Ryzen 5-3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x in 1080p, I got 1-2 FPS bump. This shows an 8 FPS bump between those 2 CPU's, guess with a better video card I might see a bigger difference (in 1080p at least).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

3 hours ago, simon747 said:

Something seems odd: the overclocked i5-10600k outperforming the overclocked i9-10900k. Most likely, overclocking was made without proper cooling, so the 10900k must have thermal throttled.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, virtuali said:

Something seems odd: the overclocked i5-10600k outperforming the overclocked i9-10900k. Most likely, overclocking was made without proper cooling, so the 10900k must have thermal throttled.

I noticed that.  Flight sim and other games under dx 11 really use 6-8 cores well and the rest not so much; from what I have read, they will all feel and bench similar in 4k once oc'd.  It will be good to get some reliable data and benchmarks on the 11 series cpu's as they are the first major arhictetcure change from intel in quite a few years.

Simon

13 hours ago, simon747 said:

If you are in 4k, it is all pretty pointless CPU wise.

This is false, absolutely false.  I'm still CPU bound at 4k ultra the majority of the time on my rig, this sim is simply too hard on some threads. I'm running a 5900X that hits 5.1ghz on multiple cores, 2x16GB dual rank 3600mhz at CL14, trio X 3080 at 2.1ghz and ram at +700, both on custom loop cooling. There are areas that are gpu bound this is 100% true, but the VAST majority of the time the gpu is under 100% load waiting on CPU.