Sign in to follow this  
Manny

For people who are suffering performance Issue after Update3

23 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

After this update my sim is a stuttery mess. 

I'll load up a flight on the tarmac and it's all smooth. Then after taking off and panning around, it's absolute Stutterfest 2021 for about 30-60 seconds. Then I can fly again for 5 minutes or so, and then it's Stutterfest again. And the cycle keeps repeating. 

I have a suspicion it has something to do with how the sim loads the scenery. Right now it's unusable to me. And it started with the latest update.

I have the Store version of the sim. No V-Sync or frame limit enabled. Runnning with G-Sync active.

I too now have the same issue.....Every single release my performance degrades in some way and I spend 90% of the cycle trying to get back to stable just to have the next release mess it up again. I use to like getting updates from developers but now I dread the updates for MSFS.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, marcg11 said:

I too now have the same issue.....Every single release my performance degrades in some way and I spend 90% of the cycle trying to get back to stable just to have the next release mess it up again. I use to like getting updates from developers but now I dread the updates for MSFS.

Yep. Before this latest update it was relatively good, considering they break stuff every update. But this latest update was particularly bad, it destroyed the tree LOD and inserted a lot of stutter and FPS issues. 

I wish it was possible to roll back to a previous version. This version is now completely unusable. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Not happy at all!!

Prior to Sim Update 3 I was getting a relatively steady 40+fps.  No stutters or freezes.

I'm now getting random stutters lasting 1 to 3 minutes with momentary freezes and fps dropping to 10!!

Just started a flight and was getting 10fps on the menus????   CPU and GPU are not being overworked.

Selected a flight and it started with 10fps - totally unusable. 

Nothing else has changed and before anyone suggests it - I've deleted the AI Ship Traffic from my community folder.

THIS IS AN URGENT PROBLEM THAT MS AND ASOBO NEED TO GET A FIX FOR ASAP!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Millingp said:

Not happy at all!!

Prior to Sim Update 3 I was getting a relatively steady 40+fps.  No stutters or freezes.

I'm now getting random stutters lasting 1 to 3 minutes with momentary freezes and fps dropping to 10!!

Just started a flight and was getting 10fps on the menus????   CPU and GPU are not being overworked.

Nothing else has changed and before anyone suggests it - I've deleted the AI Ship Traffic from my community folder.

Did you open a Zendesk ticket and let Asobo knows ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

50 minutes ago, billkirk888 said:

Interesting you say that - I hear my fan picking up speed (as it is set up to do in BIOS when heat increases), however I monitor my CPU and GPU heat as well with no excessive heat - at least no more than it was prior to the update.  It makes me think something is getting warm, however this wasn't abnormal prior to the update either.  My fan would throttle up and down periodically.  I'm not sure that behavior is different now than it was prior.  

Actually since I posted I think there may be an issue with the sim. Seems to me to do with loading scenery.

EDIT. No scrub that. I think Windows was downloading an update whilst the sim was running....

Edited by jarmstro

11 minutes ago, Millingp said:

Not happy at all!!

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a similar issue some people experienced in one of the earliest versions of MSFS. People who were using Windows 1903 had this weird bug where the sim would stutter og FPS would drop when the sim was highlighted/focused/in front. But if you opened up a seperate program and clicked on that, the sim in the background would speed up to normal. Updating to Windows 2004 fixed it, but maybe this has been reintroduced. Maybe it's an issue with how the sim schedules the resources.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

It is something with the terrain, I landed on a small grass field, and at the end of the field my fps dropp about 20 fps, but when I turn around from that area 100 meters everything was back to normal, and when I drive back to the end of the field again my fps dropp hard again, and according to task maneger it was my CPU that was overloaded.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Did you open a Zendesk ticket and let Asobo knows ?

I have seen some acknowledgement here and other forums that they are aware of some performance issues...however given there reluctance to address anything quickly I believe we are stuck with this for 2 - 3 weeks - unless they can identify something on the server side.

6 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

It is something with the terrain, I landed on a small grass field, and at the end of the field my fps dropp about 20 fps, but when I turn around from that area 100 meters everything was back to normal, and when I drive back to the end of the field again my fps dropp hard again, and according to task maneger it was my CPU that was overloaded.

I agree with you. I never had FPS issues until this recent update. What I experienced just now on a short flight crossing a mountain range - FPS was fine at 34+ and then all of a sudden BOOM !! FPS drops to 15 and less and CPU usage up to 60% where it is normally 25% and the GPU dropped to 50% from 95%. What I have noticed there were ugly pitch black areas on the mountain textures [definitely not shadows]. I fly that route regularly and never noticed it before. Continued the flight and all of a sudden things were back to normal. I am no expert but I think the performance degradation everyone is experiencing,  is caused by terrain. Something was mentioned yesterday about the performance in the Dev Q+A and I think Martial acknowledged the issue and Jorg said they are thinking of a "hotfix". Don't quote me. I think that is how I understood it. Will do some more testing later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

19 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

I agree with you. I never had FPS issues until this recent update. What I experienced just now on a short flight crossing a mountain range - FPS was fine at 34+ and then all of a sudden BOOM !! FPS drops to 15 and less and CPU usage up to 60% where it is normally 25% and the GPU dropped to 50% from 95%. What I have noticed there were ugly pitch black areas on the mountain textures [definitely not shadows]. I fly that route regularly and never noticed it before. Continued the flight and all of a sudden things were back to normal. I am no expert but I think the performance degradation everyone is experiencing,  is caused by terrain. Something was mentioned yesterday about the performance in the Dev Q+A and I think Martial acknowledged the issue and Jorg said they are thinking of a "hotfix". Don't quote me. I think that is how I understood it. Will do some more testing later.

I think you're on to something here, that's how the experience is for me too. Except not with mountains, just suburban and forrested flat land. Some areas serious stutter for a while, then smooth again. Then it repeats.

Edited by Republic3D

2 hours ago, Republic3D said:

After this update my sim is a stuttery mess. 

I'll load up a flight on the tarmac and it's all smooth. Then after taking off and panning around, it's absolute Stutterfest 2021 for about 30-60 seconds. Then I can fly again for 5 minutes or so, and then it's Stutterfest again. And the cycle keeps repeating. 

I have a suspicion it has something to do with how the sim loads the scenery. Right now it's unusable to me. And it started with the latest update.

I have the Store version of the sim. No V-Sync or frame limit enabled. Runnning with G-Sync active.

Yup. These are the exact issues I'm having. It's so frustrating. Had a drop on final today down to 10 fps and could barely land. Would normally be hovering 30-35...The FPS cycle. Everything is good. Then CPU spikes/corresponding GPU drop and the FPS halves itself..usually for a few minutes. Then CPU drops/GPU spikes and it stabilizes again

• Upvote 1

Caught it in the act earlier.

Bimbling about in the skies over Surrey earlier at 60 FPS or so when it tanked down to 15-20 FPS. Opened Task Manager and saw the GPU was on the floor and the CPU was at 94%.

Where I've drawn the red line on the left is where the frames suddenly recovered back to 60 FPS and you can see at a glance how the GPU has recovered and the load has come off the CPU.

882c59f2edbcafd9a311e158353e1947e54cba4d

• Upvote 2

The problem might be vsync. It looks like Asobo went back to the regular vsync they had before because I turned it off and have no more screen tearing and I get to keep my fps, so you guys might want to try that 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, devgrp said:

The problem might be vsync. It looks like Asobo went back to the regular vsync they had before because I turned it off and have no more screen tearing and I get to keep my fps, so you guys might want to try that 

There could be multiple issues, V-sync might be one of them.

But I have the Stutterfest 2021 issue (drop in FPS and massive stutters for 30-60 seconds, then recovery for a few minutes) and I don't use V-Sync at all. Or any FPS limit. 

• Like 1

Nope. No V-Sync or any frame limiter used here either. 

Besides, if it was a V-Sync issue then the issue would manifest not intermittently but constantly, I would have thought.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1