Sign in to follow this  
Binford

Black Textures P3Dv5 (again)

Hello All,

i'am fighting against black textures from Add-On Sceneries in the Sim for quite a while. I tried many different settings without help.

Buildings are loading very late and slow.

See flyTampa YSSY as an example :

Everything fine :

yssy0ojfg.jpg

Zooming out a little bit more. Textures turning black. Zooming In again and everything looks fine.

yssy2rljul.jpg

Has anybody an idea on how to solve this?

Greetings
Michael

fslabs_banner.png

You can try this fix.  In Prepar3d.cfg change the line to read "MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000".  It won't completely go away, but it should be much less noticable.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

1 hour ago, Binford said:

Hello All,

i'am fighting against black textures from Add-On Sceneries in the Sim for quite a while. I tried many different settings without help.

Buildings are loading very late and slow.

See flyTampa YSSY as an example :

Everything fine :

yssy0ojfg.jpg

Zooming out a little bit more. Textures turning black. Zooming In again and everything looks fine.

yssy2rljul.jpg

Has anybody an idea on how to solve this?

Greetings
Michael

Thats normal. P3D is dropping textures to far away. Thats a automatic thing to save you from VRAM crashes.

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Right, I'm with Joe here. This is just normal P3D behavior. When you are far enough away, buildings stop loading and what you're left with is the black spot below that building, because that's how developers typically design their sceneries. I suspect that if developers would make the areas below buildings bright pink, then that's what you would see... Mind you that I'm pretty sure this behavior already existed in earlier versions of P3D, but maybe it wasn't quite as extreme as in v5?

So I hope you didn't waste too much time on this...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

These settings help?

[GRAPHICS]

// MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE There's no cap on this value itself because it's intended as a limit. If you want textures requesting aggressively, you can set it something very high like 1000000. Units are memory allocation units (not distance).
// There are two other checks that must pass before textures are requested:
// 1) Object is within the far clip distance. This varies by altitude.
// 2) Object pixel size at a given distance passes min radius check. This we made configurable in 4.3 using RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS. (default is 2.0px)
RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=2.000000

//MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=1000.000000  // default value, 1000000.000000 is max
//MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=180000.000000
//MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=640000.000000
//MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=1000000.000000

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hi Guys,

thanks for your help. As i tried every possible Setting without any change i was already in the doubt that this is normal behavior of P3D.

But i will try the P3D.cfg Settings to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the Heads up.

Greetings
Michael

fslabs_banner.png

3 hours ago, Binford said:

Hi Guys,

thanks for your help. As i tried every possible Setting without any change i was already in the doubt that this is normal behavior of P3D.

But i will try the P3D.cfg Settings to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the Heads up.

Greetings
Michael

You can't solve this..

It's P3D way of rendering the different layers and textures. I have provided some suggestions about this to the LM devs. We have to wait and see if they are able to solve or reduce this. But they know about this.  In my opinion this wasn't that heavy seen in v4.5. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

11 hours ago, mpo910 said:

You can't solve this..

It's P3D way of rendering the different layers and textures. I have provided some suggestions about this to the LM devs. We have to wait and see if they are able to solve or reduce this. But they know about this.  In my opinion this wasn't that heavy seen in v4.5. 

Marcus

Right, that was my impression as well. It was there for sure, I distinctly remember airports not rendering normally when cruising at altitude in v4, but it seemed to me like it has become worse in v5.

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Settings depend on the GPU you use and the VRAM you have to high could cause a problem Rob tested this way back in v4.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Good info !

Question : is there also a tweak/line that determines how for Scenery Conplexity objects are being shown ?

You can use the AG range slider to set the AG appearing distance, but the objects connected to the SC slider will show till the horizon.

Especially Orbx TE custom objects like houseblocks and FranceVFR custom houseblocks show up too farao’s are black...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Settings depend on the GPU you use and the VRAM you have to high could cause a problem Rob tested this way back in v4.

We have 2 different things ongoing which both lead to black textures but in a different way.

1) Unloading textures at certain distance. Can be changed via the config entry request texture rendering distance=32000.00000 or something like that.....not at my desk at the moment

2) Textures that went black when slewing or cruising upwards even if right above the scenery, so hardly any distance. You see this not like a unload of textures, but like as if some textures slightly and smooth just disappear and the black bottom layer of the airport for instance appears in instead. 

These are not the same things, but can look black at certain distance. 

1) is definitely work as designed.

2) I am not sure. But got worse with P3D version 5 if I recall correctly. 

This second one is also somehow influenced at certain z-bias values and therefore occurs very quickly at  z fighting issues.  At higher altitudes (not distance) these textures slightly went completely black...no unload, but smooth 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

In prepar3d.cfg try modifying SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=1 or 2 better. For me with this went away the black shadows in the building and the low speed load of the airport textures.