Sign in to follow this  
Overload

Steam install not working

So I took the plunge today - bought the ultimate edition on Steam - Started well, it knew about my Steam install on my D drive and put it there - I knew from the forums that this is just a preliminary, the main install happens when play is pressed, and the rest of the download is from Microsoft.

So  I was expecting to need my Microsoft password - except nothing has happened - the Steam App shows it as "Running", There's an MSFS icon in the taskbar - if I click on it, I just get a black screen.

Otherwise nothing - I'm stumped. 

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Eugene

• Like 1

Its the new update... I have not had a problem until last night, I installed the update (not given a choice) and now it won't start. I'm also using Steam. I'm sure they are aware of it and will release a hot fix today to fix it. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Ahh, Thanks...

Thought I'd waited long enough for the teething problems to be sorted - should have waited a few days longer!

Eugene

I am using Steam and had no problems installing yesterday.  I had a problem getting past loading screen after first running the sim.  A nice person on this forum explained it was a Steam server issues controlled by MSFS. 

Started today and ran normal like before update. Server problem solved.

You might just want to re-boot your computer?

3 hours ago, Overload said:

So  I was expecting to need my Microsoft password - except nothing has happened - the Steam App shows it as "Running",  

HI Eugene

Do you have a Xbox Live account ? You need one and be logged in.  Yes, even if you run a PC and not a console 😉.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

HI Eugene

Do you have a Xbox Live account ? You need one and be logged in.  Yes, even if you run a PC and not a console 😉.

WHY??????

I bought this on Steam to avoid hassle like this.... If this is true (and something new), then words can't describe how much I really hate Microsoft at this moment.

UPDATE - Nevermind, I was finally able to log in. But I still hate Microsoft.

Hulk-punches-Thor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Keto Ketchup
grrr

23 hours ago, knich said:

I am using Steam and had no problems installing yesterday.  I had a problem getting past loading screen after first running the sim.  A nice person on this forum explained it was a Steam server issues controlled by MSFS. 

Started today and ran normal like before update. Server problem solved.

You might just want to re-boot your computer?

Luckily the server issue must have been all it was. I started MSFS last night and it started up no problem. Performed a saved flight PDX-SEA and was still around 33FPS landing at sea on ultra settings, seemed about the same as I remember pre-update.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks for the input guys,

Tried installing again just now, but still with no luck.

I'm a little confused about this Xbox thing - I don't have an xbox or xbox account - even if I did, according to the Zendesk Steam installation instructions, after the initial Steam download - I press on play - and this is what I should see:

MSFS-1.png

But I don't see this, or anything. the only thing I can see is the MSFS icon in the taskbar - if I click on it - just see a black screen.

I've checked the Steam download page, just to check nothings happening in the background - but nothing is happening.

Not really sure what to do now - where's the best place to get help from - Steam or Microsoft - I can't imagine either are easy to contact?

Thanks

Eugene

Yes after the Steam install you will see the microsoft sign on as shown above. Sign with your credentials or create first if you have not done so already, then it should start the main download of the game. But yes it was the most confusing thing I have ever seen at first, and this is coming from an IT person. Any other game on steam you just click buy and download. What's wrong with that??? But I guess it is because you need access to the azure servers.

Edited by TurboKen

6 hours ago, Overload said:

Thanks for the input guys,

Tried installing again just now, but still with no luck.

I'm a little confused about this Xbox thing - I don't have an xbox or xbox account - even if I did, according to the Zendesk Steam installation instructions, after the initial Steam download - I press on play - and this is what I should see:

MSFS-1.png

But I don't see this, or anything. the only thing I can see is the MSFS icon in the taskbar - if I click on it - just see a black screen.

I've checked the Steam download page, just to check nothings happening in the background - but nothing is happening.

Not really sure what to do now - where's the best place to get help from - Steam or Microsoft - I can't imagine either are easy to contact?

Thanks

Eugene

Make sure you are in windowed mode when you do this otherwise it won't show up properly.

Thanks Guys,

Think it might be best to video the install sequence with my phone - now uploaded to my Google Drive.

I uninstalled it - checked all the MSFS folders had gone - then clicked on install - first bit fine - installs to my Steam folder on the D drive automatically.

Then I click on play - get a dialogue box "Preparing to install " - then nothing. After a couple of minutes. I'll get a MSFS icon in the task bar - if I click on it - I get a completely black screen - can only get rid of it by Win+D to get back to the desktop.

As you can see from the video, I am in Windowed mode.

Hope the link works!

Thanks

Eugene

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1voIvhJcCPk6Cz2VbRnWU4x6iTBHpm8f6/view?usp=sharing

I've tried a few more things as recommended by the Steam website,

Cleared the Steam cache

Changed the Steam download location from Manchester to London.

Disabled overclocking in the bios

I'm out of ideas - 

Eugene

you do need an xbox live account, and be logged in there.

it has been said before.

Thanks,

I've now got an xbox live account - logged in via Chrome - but still no luck.

I wasn't surprised - the Zendesk Steam install instructions show that after pressing the green play button -  Microsoft and xbox login boxes appear - that's not happening with me, even after logging in to xbox live.

Just get a black screen and nothing else.

Eugene