Sign in to follow this  
Overload

Steam install not working

It seems that your computer waits for a validation. When you open the task manager do you see something which might be an authorization window ?

And did you try logging in with Edge ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes, I had the task manager opened at all times - I've seen that before when stuff gets hidden behind a window - but a good call, thanks.

I didn't try Edge - but honestly don't think it would make any difference - In the Zendesk screenshots above - once you click on the green play button for the main install from Microsoft, it asks you to log into Xbox there.

I never get to there.

But actually I now have a refund from Steam

Wasn't hopeful, but I thought I'd ask, it was £109, quite a lot - refund was very easy to do - told them the issues, even gave them this Avsim link, said I'd much rather it worked than a refund,

in case they had some ideas - but 90 mins later get an email from paypal refunding me the £109 - really wasn't expecting that - especially as all the time I spent trying to install it is counted as playing it - over 10 hours.

Top company - very unusual in this day and age.

I'll have another go at buying it - direct from Microsoft and see how I get on..

But only after Googling the pitfalls on buying direct from Microsoft - bet they're some - need to have on a D drive, don't want it using a big chunk of my 500gb C drive SSD!

Thanks for the suggestions

Eugene 

22 minutes ago, Overload said:

But only after Googling the pitfalls on buying direct from Microsoft - bet they're some - need to have on a D drive, don't want it using a big chunk of my 500gb C drive SSD!

The MS Store install will allow you to set a custom install path.  It still installs some files on your C drive, but the bulk will go where you tell it to.  Problem is that I think the MS Store refund policy makes it a little more cumbersome should you not have luck going that route either.  

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

That's good to know  - I might hold off for a while  - recent postings about problems after update 3 are a little concerning...

Eugene

Well the mystery is solved at last - but bizarre or what!

I decided to buy the store edition - and exactly the same thing happened! Click on play to download - a black screen - then nothing!

Wasn't expecting that!

So back to the drawing board - I spent £3000 on a new PC just for MSFS, I need to get it installed.

Dominiques suggestion of using Edge instead of Chrome sounded promising - but no luck there.

Tried wired internet connection instead of wireless - no luck

Defender Firewall and virus temporarily off  - no luck

Really running out of ideas - if someone had suggested walking around my garden in my underwear reciting the Gettysburg address, well it's gotta be worth a shot?

More Googling - found a Microsoft forum where others were having the same problem - glad it wasn't just me - someone suggested changing the Speaker output.

Changing the speaker output to enable a Microsoft download? It's up there with the Gettysberg address - so definitely worth a punt!

Switched from using a pair of USB speakers - to the Panasonic TV's build in speakers - pressed the play button for software download for the hundredth time, and, blimey! It worked!

That is just the most bizarre thing! 

That's 30 man/hours of my life I'll never get back - but finally managed to download it - now for the real fun - getting it to work properly!

Eugene  

That is beyond bizarre, that is weird 🤣 !

I suggested Edge because Chrome can be whimsical at times, in my experience, when dealing with authentication.

Anyway welcome to the club, Eugene. Now begin the real trouble. Just kidding, a nice sim but no stranger to whimsicality either.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam