Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Current Best De-Icing GA Aircraft?

Across all the GA aircraft currently available for MSFS, which do you think has the most effective De-Icing?

I wish to fly around Colorado this weekend & snow is forecast.

I would like to be able to complete a flight in those conditions😀

T45

I think the best chance would be the Beechcraft Baron, at least it can be certified for flying into known icing, I don't know if the version in MSFS has all the options that are required though.
Most Ga, even those with anti-ice equipment, are not certified to fly into known icing conditions. Those that are have their limits too.

IMO (not a real pilot), I like the concept of icing but it seems to me both overdone and underdone in the sim. Windscreens ice up too fast, but aircraft can still be flown even with 100% structural icing (whatever that means) while I would expect it would have the flight characteristics of an ice cube by then.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

To my knowledge, most of the piston aircraft bundled with my mid-tier MFS do not have de-icing equipment, the smallest birds I can think of so equipped are the DA62 and Grand Caravan (I presume the TBM is equipped too). AFAIK IRL the DA62 is not certified for flight into known icing, it's more of a safety net.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

None?

In practice it’s been the TBM w/ working title G3000. The turboprop model is still horribly broken and the PT6 feels nothing like it should. Oh well, maybe someday...

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

@kiwikat Apparently the turboprop engine simulation is being revised in SimUpdate4 within the next couple of months, but they said there were going to be big G1000 changes in SimUpdate3 and there was almost nothing apart from Track Up (although they've recruited Working Title). I am hoping they will add geared Garrett TPE331 style simulation in addition to fixing the free-turbine PT6 one but I think that's wishful thinking.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

2 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

Across all the GA aircraft currently available for MSFS, which do you think has the most effective De-Icing?

I wish to fly around Colorado this weekend & snow is forecast.

I would like to be able to complete a flight in those conditions😀

T45

Depends how you define 'GA'. That being said, the more powerful the better, as it lingers in icing conditions less during climbs/descents through layers. Also a benefit climbing in high density areas you describe where you want turbo charging or turbine. It is not the snow you need to worry about so much, but things like freezing rain and super cooled droplets. So TBM, Cirrus (if FIKI turbo), Baron.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, orchestra_nl said:

I think the best chance would be the Beechcraft Baron, at least it can be certified for flying into known icing, I don't know if the version in MSFS has all the options that are required though.
Most Ga, even those with anti-ice equipment, are not certified to fly into known icing conditions. Those that are have their limits too.

IMO (not a real pilot), I like the concept of icing but it seems to me both overdone and underdone in the sim. Windscreens ice up too fast, but aircraft can still be flown even with 100% structural icing (whatever that means) while I would expect it would have the flight characteristics of an ice cube by then.

At least when using the DA-62 you will stall if you keep flying while icing up after quite some time. It gets worse and worse until you go down even at full power. And on top of that the deicing fluid is limited. 

Edited by kakihara123

The TKS anti-icing works on the DA-62 (I've never run it long enough to see if the fluid runs out like real life), that is the smallest aircraft in the sim with anti-icing.

Note that it is anti-icing, not de-icing, so you need to turn it on before entering icing conditions.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

DA62 or C208

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

DA62 or C208

The 208 can de-ice the windshield or the airframe, not both at the same time. And the switch labeling is reversed. 
Is it just me doing something wrong, or in icing conditions IRL in the 208 you're supposed to choose if you want to fly blind, or get a perfect view of the ground coming towards you at high speed? 

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

2 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

The 208 can de-ice the windshield or the airframe, not both at the same time. And the switch labeling is reversed. 
Is it just me doing something wrong, or in icing conditions IRL in the 208 you're supposed to choose if you want to fly blind, or get a perfect view of the ground coming towards you at high speed? 

Sounds like a bug.  The real one is FIKI certified.  On another post someone said you can just bind a keyboard key to something like "windshield deice" or just search "deice"

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |